Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 29, 2008
8:46:13 PM
Record to DVD recorder from DVR
When I try to record from DVR to my DVD recorder I get an error about trying to write to a disc without CPRM. Do I need a special disc or am I not going to be able to record from DVR to a DVD?  Thanks
When I try to record from DVR to my DVD recorder I get an error about trying to write to a disc without CPRM. Do I need a special disc or am I not going to be able to record from DVR to a DVD?  Thanks

Record to DVD recorder from DVR

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2008 9:18:57 AM
(0)
Contributor
Apparently I thought the upgrade to whole house DVR has introduced copy protection accross the board from the u-verse boxes. live TV in not recordable either. If you have u-verse dvr you can no longer use your own recording equipment. Sounds like the Microsoft attempt to exclude all other browsers. There could be a law suit in the works. Just found out that this is more of a macrovision problem. some stations are sending extra signaling and thus preventing DVD recorders from recording live TV. It depends on the station. not an ATT intervention.
Message Edited by 1wayneo on 10-30-2008 10:49 AM
Apparently I thought the upgrade to whole house DVR has introduced copy protection accross the board from the u-verse boxes. live TV in not recordable either. If you have u-verse dvr you can no longer use your own recording equipment. Sounds like the Microsoft attempt to exclude all other browsers. There could be a law suit in the works. Just found out that this is more of a macrovision problem. some stations are sending extra signaling and thus preventing DVD recorders from recording live TV. It depends on the station. not an ATT intervention.
Message Edited by 1wayneo on 10-30-2008 10:49 AM

Re: Record to DVD recorder from DVR

2 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2008 5:41:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've not had occasion to try this, but here's what I'm already thinking.

That DRM/CMP flag that is set is in so far as I was aware is a MacroVision function.

If you have old tech around like a Macrovision blackbox from your old VHS days, try inserting it in the ViVo cables between the DVR Vo and the DVDR's Vi and see if that will fly or not.

Such devices I think can still be found on EBay for a pittance.

Message Edited by Revolutn on 11-10-2008 07:41 PM

I've not had occasion to try this, but here's what I'm already thinking.

That DRM/CMP flag that is set is in so far as I was aware is a MacroVision function.

If you have old tech around like a Macrovision blackbox from your old VHS days, try inserting it in the ViVo cables between the DVR Vo and the DVDR's Vi and see if that will fly or not.

Such devices I think can still be found on EBay for a pittance.

Message Edited by Revolutn on 11-10-2008 07:41 PM

3 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2008 6:46:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
There are threads in tis forum that state that people have been able to record from the dvr to dvds, and some haven't.  Some have been able to record one day and not be able to record the next.  Others have posted that there are devices that will enable you to record from the dvr to a dvd.  Use the search box and type in record from dvr to dvds, or something to that affect to find them.
There are threads in tis forum that state that people have been able to record from the dvr to dvds, and some haven't.  Some have been able to record one day and not be able to record the next.  Others have posted that there are devices that will enable you to record from the dvr to a dvd.  Use the search box and type in record from dvr to dvds, or something to that affect to find them.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2008 7:28:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

RCSMG wrote:
There are threads in tis forum that state that people have been able to record from the dvr to dvds, and some haven't.  Some have been able to record one day and not be able to record the next.  Others have posted that there are devices that will enable you to record from the dvr to a dvd. 

It would be my suspicion that the reason this happens is more about the actual program being attempted to record than one day vs another etc.

You see the DRM flags aren't always in use yet, but they're becoming more and more prevelant.

So if the content is flagged, bam recording trouble, if it's not, all is well.

Here's a good example.

Friend who's got  DishNet recorded a pretty significant sporting event (to them)

Went to dump it to their DVD-R.

Well the game goes along dumping perfectly fine UNTIL.....until the Game runs over the originally sloted air time in the DN guide. So even though the network continues to air the game feed, bam the DRM flag hits the stream because the show that SHOULD be airing at that time slot does not allow it to be recorded so 3/4 through the recording of the playback from the DVR the DVDR suddenly chokes and refuses to allow the recording to go on citing Copyright Protection.

Ahhh it's a brave new world in Conent Management kiddies....but it's a cat and mouse game, you can stay ahead of the cat if you really want the cheese, but you have to do your homework to understand what the providers are doing or else you'll get caught in the trap every time.

RCSMG wrote:
There are threads in tis forum that state that people have been able to record from the dvr to dvds, and some haven't.  Some have been able to record one day and not be able to record the next.  Others have posted that there are devices that will enable you to record from the dvr to a dvd. 

It would be my suspicion that the reason this happens is more about the actual program being attempted to record than one day vs another etc.

You see the DRM flags aren't always in use yet, but they're becoming more and more prevelant.

So if the content is flagged, bam recording trouble, if it's not, all is well.

Here's a good example.

Friend who's got  DishNet recorded a pretty significant sporting event (to them)

Went to dump it to their DVD-R.

Well the game goes along dumping perfectly fine UNTIL.....until the Game runs over the originally sloted air time in the DN guide. So even though the network continues to air the game feed, bam the DRM flag hits the stream because the show that SHOULD be airing at that time slot does not allow it to be recorded so 3/4 through the recording of the playback from the DVR the DVDR suddenly chokes and refuses to allow the recording to go on citing Copyright Protection.

Ahhh it's a brave new world in Conent Management kiddies....but it's a cat and mouse game, you can stay ahead of the cat if you really want the cheese, but you have to do your homework to understand what the providers are doing or else you'll get caught in the trap every time.

5 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2008 6:37:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

6 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2008 5:43:27 AM
(0)
Tutor
Ed- I think that may solve my problem!! Thank you VERY much for your input   I truly appreciate it
Ed- I think that may solve my problem!! Thank you VERY much for your input   I truly appreciate it

7 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2008 4:57:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
ED- That company is in Israel. Not sure that I want to do that unless I know for sure it will work.   
ED- That company is in Israel. Not sure that I want to do that unless I know for sure it will work.   

8 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2008 6:34:49 PM
(0)
Guru

brianf wrote:

It'll work.  I've seen successful reports both here and on uverseusers.com from folks that have gotten it, and I'm thinking I may want one myself.

brianf wrote:

It'll work.  I've seen successful reports both here and on uverseusers.com from folks that have gotten it, and I'm thinking I may want one myself.

9 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2008 9:21:27 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks Cheer   I ordered it today. It has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I'll post when try it out.
Thanks Cheer   I ordered it today. It has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I'll post when try it out.

10 of 19 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2009 8:13:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Brian,

Wondering if the device worked for you?

Thanks for your input,

Lisette

Hi Brian,

Wondering if the device worked for you?

Thanks for your input,

Lisette

11 of 19 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2009 8:20:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yes it did. I have not had a problem recording off DVR. Thank you for asking 
Yes it did. I have not had a problem recording off DVR. Thank you for asking 

12 of 19 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2009 5:50:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have a similar device which has proven invaluable over the years, but it only does RCA no s-video.

I hope they develope an HDMI version, that would be awesome.

I have a similar device which has proven invaluable over the years, but it only does RCA no s-video.

13 of 19 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2009 12:49:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 19 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2009 11:43:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

Revolutn wrote:

I doubt you will ever see a HDMI version as the who idea is to use the 'analog loophole' to copy content. Since HDMI (with HDCP) is digital it would probably extremely difficult to filter out the DRM or trick the DVR into thinking there is a HDCP device conntected.

Revolutn wrote:

I doubt you will ever see a HDMI version as the who idea is to use the 'analog loophole' to copy content. Since HDMI (with HDCP) is digital it would probably extremely difficult to filter out the DRM or trick the DVR into thinking there is a HDCP device conntected.

15 of 19 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2009 12:25:41 PM
(0)
Expert

txcrude wrote:

Revolutn wrote:

No, it's very easy to defeat HDCP at the hardware level.  It's just illegal to do so under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, so no company is going to make one.

txcrude wrote:

Revolutn wrote:

No, it's very easy to defeat HDCP at the hardware level.  It's just illegal to do so under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, so no company is going to make one.

16 of 19 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2009 9:06:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

unless they are in Israel or some other country ...  :smileywink:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

unless they are in Israel or some other country ...  :smileywink:

17 of 19 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 12:47:50 PM
(0)
Contributor
Did it work?? how did you set it up.. I looked up the diagram.. but it doesnt say if it has to be connected to the actual DVR or if it can be done from another room
Did it work?? how did you set it up.. I looked up the diagram.. but it doesnt say if it has to be connected to the actual DVR or if it can be done from another room

18 of 19 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 2:22:25 PM
(0)
Guru

aydeet wrote:

On U-Verse you could do it on any of the set-top boxes.

aydeet wrote:

On U-Verse you could do it on any of the set-top boxes.

19 of 19 (1,478 Views)