Random Disconnects while streaming.

Tutor

Random Disconnects while streaming.

Hi there, was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Back in the last week of December, while watching netflix, my internet connection started dropping at random intervals while streaming. Going into my control panel and resetting my internet connection was the only was to fix it. It didn't seem to disconnect while doing any other activities ( Im a WoW player) and my connection would remain uninterrupted.  Was only disconnecting while on netflix.

I spent some time on the phone with At&t tech and they went through a couple of things and I seemed to be ok for a while, then it started dropping again.  I spoke to another tech through text on the website who increased my speed, to see if it resolved the problem.  As I'm not the account holder (my uncle is), I guess for some reason the order never went through.  The tech told me it could take 24 hours and to keep checking via the speed test on 2wire.com, and my speed has never increased. 

My problem now is, that its dropping all the time. When I connect to an online game, youtube, netflix, itunes.. Basically anything that involves streaming data.  It seems completely random, can do it after 2 mins of streaming, or 17 mins of streaming.  I have the 2wire in my line of sight, and it never shows any errors, no wiring was changed previous to the connection problem and everything is plugged in as it should be.  I should note that this problem occurred after a new Norton version was installed, but I have disabled nortons firewall and scanner, and the problem still exists. 

Im not exactly tech savvy when it comes to internet connections unfortunately - so any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 28 (1,508 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: Random Disconnects while streaming.

I get pauses .. NetFlix and/or Amazon have to play catch up while streaming a movie. I am hard wired from my Sony KDL-52XBR9 HDTV.  However, I have noticed that it is predictable. Happens 2 or 3 times per movie on Friday & Saturday starting at about 9 to10 PM EST.  That's just about the time the California couch potatoes tune in for a movie with their pizza's.

During the day and late afternoon .. I am error/freeze free.

I usually just switch out completely to clear any buffers in the TV on these services and then switch back in a pickup the movie where I left off. 90% of the time this works and I finish the movie. I have checked my 2-wire RG stats and see no correlation to corrected blocks intervals and I am have no other errors.

This leads me to believe the remote servers are bogged down and that for some reason I timeout. Who knows for sure.

Message 16 of 28 (1,514 Views)
Scholar

This is a classic case of what happens when you install one firewall suite over another. A coupie of things you can try

1. Use a register editor to clean up your system I'd suggest  winoptimizer 6. The reason I suggest winopimizer is it will not only backup any changes that it makes but any made by any other programs. Note that CC Cleaner alone will not remove all vestages of a modern security suite. After you run the program reboot the system. Do no harm is more important than me being right allow the program to backup the registry. I'd perform the registry cleanup before posting to the Norton forum

2. Post the exact version of Norton Security you are using along with what version of XP and the amount of memory on your system. Note if you are using the Internet Security Suite you do not need any addition Norton product for security in that the 360 version is not specific to what you posted.

I would think  your problem has nothing to do with the security suite and everything to do with your registry.  The intermittent nature of your complain is a sure fire giveaway. It simply is not possible to install multiple security suites any more without flushing the registry, an uninstall with not cut it. I hope this helps all the best and good luck

Message 17 of 28 (1,514 Views)
Tutor

I do not have multiple security suites installed O_o

I am using Norton 2010 version 17.5.0.127.

I am using XP home 2002 version with SP3.

When referring to the 360, I was referring to the xbox360 connected on the network.

Message 18 of 28 (1,514 Views)
Scholar

Evessia wrote:

I do not have multiple security suites installed O_o

I am using Norton 2010 version 17.5.0.127.

I am using XP home 2002 version with SP3.

When referring to the 360, I was referring to the xbox360 connected on the network.

Ok let's back track 360 is Norton 360 it is not an issue you do not have it installed. You are using the latest version of Nortion Internet Security as of 1530. Are you saying this is a new computer and you never installed a FW or AV on the system before at any time in the past? Usually a Suite was already installed and Norton was then installed over it? If you had a suite and if your registry was not flushed you WILL have a problem it's not a matter of if but when and how serious the effect will be. The older the installation the more serious the problem will be once it begins to manifest itself. A lot of thing can be involved but it come down to how clean your system is and the speed of the system in most cases memory

If you have a problem, to verify what I'm saying go to any reputable user based help forum or read the install instruction for any reputable security suite. They will tell you to uninstall the previous suite all I'm telling you is an uninstall is not sufficent. It's a case of remnants from  previous installs being left behind causing conflicts. There is no question of the accuracy of my statement you can find verification it's a know issue .The only way to eliminate the problem is to flush the registry as a last resort. Sites you can try are Wilders that host many FW and AV user based forums or you can go to the Norton forum which is a CRM forum. I'm a firm believer in not using CRM forums for any problem that is having an immediate impact on your system.

It would seem you want to fix the problem not the blame to accomplish that end take things one step at a time eliminating all possible causes until only one issue remains. What I told you is standard practice, you are going to be asked  the exact same questions when you get a rep from Norton and to give the same details the only difference is you'll have to do it with someone on the phone hopefully guiding you along as you go. Again good luck

Message 19 of 28 (1,514 Views)
Tutor

My computer is about 5 months old.  Its self built.  The only other AV/FW that has ever been installed is the previous version of Norton prior to the the update I had on 23rd/24th of December, which was removed before installing the new one. I have cleaned my registry with software I already posses, many times.  I do not doubt the accuracy of your statement at all.  Im aware of the issue of over-installing, learnt that lesson years back with some ati drivers.  But that's another story.  I went ahead this morning and un-installed Norton 2010 version 17.5.0.127. Problem with disconnects seems to have stopped. 

Thanks for the input/advice.

Message 20 of 28 (1,514 Views)
Contributor

OMG EVESSIA! ME TOO!

I am not a newb, I develop for a living. I have 7 PC's in my home, 4 Win7 1WHS 2buntu. I have both wired gigbit and wireless (dd). I went from Cable TWC to Uverse because of a promotion.

Ever since the migration over and without any set-top boxes, anytime I stream or download large files the downloads and streaming STOPS after a few minutes of streaming and downloads after ~200-500mbs have downloaded. I CANNOT download anything over 200mb WITHOUT a download manager/resumer.

I have tried, IE, FF, Chrome, Opera, and as of writing this I have Safari running in a VM. All my PCs are hand built, and I DO NOT run any firewalls, we rely on hardware for that.

I am on my way out the door. I just wanted to post this because this is a HUGE problem for me. The techs have been out twice and nothing; everything tests out fine. Just finished downloading the iPhone SDK (3GB) at 2.5mb/s. (just had to stop and then resume the download 7 times.

Message 21 of 28 (1,226 Views)
Tutor

@ Rad777.  That's quite a pain in the a$$.   I hope you can get it sorted soon.  Are you having to manually reset your connection from network connections also or is your connection resuming automatically ?

As for me, ever since my previous nortonless post, I have been completely random disconnect free, not to mention loading times have shortened, lag is less, even fps ingame is higher... I always knew that Norton was a res hog, but I didn't realise it was that bad.

Message 22 of 28 (1,226 Views)
Scholar

Evessia wrote:

@ Rad777.  That's quite a pain in the a$$.   I hope you can get it sorted soon.  Are you having to manually reset your connection from network connections also or is your connection resuming automatically ?

As for me, ever since my previous nortonless post, I have been completely random disconnect free, not to mention loading times have shortened, lag is less, even fps ingame is higher... I always knew that Norton was a res hog, but I didn't realise it was that bad.

I tried to help before but I did not want to be rude. Your registry is screwed period. You've pigged back one version of Norton Internet Suite over another. A simple uninstall will not solve the problem,  what you are facing is an anti stealth rountine placed within the software. Unless you ran the the Norton Removal Tool multiple times there is no way to remove the original install of Internet Suite 2009. According to your post you did mention using the removal tool. Note that when I say multiple I mean just that 2 or 3 times minimum. You may have to get another key each install requires activation,  when you remove and install again your key is questioned. We've replicated this numerous times and  detailed instructions can be found on the Norton site. Why you were not informed regarding a known issue is another question. However I'm cheap I'm not giving away my hard earned money,  there's no reason Norton should not work on your system. Another program that will cause issues is Paint Shop Pro X2,  it will not even let you complete an install if you have a key. You must use their removal tool to remove trialware versions or registered version of a different version of the suites. Sorry but I did not want to seem like I was being rude after all it's your computer, money and your decision.

Message 23 of 28 (1,226 Views)
Contributor

@Rad777 -

I've been having the same problems with what sounds like the same setup. 

I had my router set up as a DMZ and was doing all my firewall and wireless through it.  In general, everything was fine, but streaming and downloading large files would stall. I went as far as looking at packets with wireshark.  Things would be fine and then the connection would just stop.

After trying every combination of firewall settings, I finally tried connecting directly to the RG.  I just finished streaming a movie from netflix that had stopped twice in the first five minutes.  I'll keep things configured like this for a while and post if the connection problem reappears.  You may want to try connecting directly to the RG and see if the problem persists.  I was never fond of the firewall settings in the RG.  I could set up a DMZ, but there seemed to be no way to turn off the firewall proper.

Message 24 of 28 (1,226 Views)
Contributor

Yes, I may have to try that. The techs have replaced the gateway once, that did nothing. The problem is if I can't run my own hardware uverse is then a waste and will have to go back to cable *sigh*.

Message 25 of 28 (1,226 Views)
Contributor

I just did another movie, so things definately seem better.  The only other thing I might try is instead of doing a DMZ to my router. I'll just port forward what I need to the router and then port forward it again from the router.  I hate to do that, but if it works, it might be better than nothing.

Message 26 of 28 (1,226 Views)
Contributor

That seems to have done.  After turning off the DMZ, I've been able to stream two movies without a problem.

Message 27 of 28 (1,226 Views)
Contributor

YEP! DMZ SCREWS UP EVERYTHING...

Why the heck is this? DMZ should turn off firewall and what not.

DMZ 100% affects ANY system. I DMZ-d a desktop and the issue reoccured, so the issue is not limited to DMZ-d routers.

Way around this? Add port 1-64k TCP and UDP to user defined, and assigned that to the router/s mac/ip.

Message 28 of 28 (1,226 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.