Quick Question, and does everything look right?

Highlighted
Tutor

Quick Question, and does everything look right?

Hello all!  Been a satisfied Uverse User for almost a year now.  Found Uverse Realtime last week and discovered that I had a Bridge-tap on the line, got that fixed and now everything is running pretty smooth! 

But the more I find out the more dangerous I become...Basically I am just wanting to find out if there is a way to improve my internet even more, because I still notice some lag and latency issues every now and then.  About the only the thing I really do is game on Xbox Live.  Watch a few videos here and there and not much else.  I am an internet only subscriber with the 24 meg connection.  But that really is probably a bit overkill for Xbox live, but I dont mind paying for it if it's worth it.

So what I'm asking everybody here is, A) Is everything setup correctly to get the best possible speeds, and B) if I downgrade to the 18 meg connection, could that help latency?  My logic (probably flawed) is that there would be less line noise and an overall better quality connection.  Or at the very least, would it still give me the same performance, but save me a few bucks....  Here's my setup

Phone line to the house

Ethernet to the RG a (3800HGV-B)  (only use two wires from the NID to the RG)

then Ethernet to a PC and a 360

and here's a screenshot on my Uverse Realtime

2267iA08990DCD6F37F92

Anyways, thanks in advance for helping me out!  If thats the best setup I can get, then  I'm fine with that, but if I can get better, I always a little more bang for my buck!

Message 1 of 7 (977 Views)
Expert

Re: Quick Question, and does everything look right?

Your photo has not been approved by the mod yet.  When it comes available someone will get back with you with an answer.

Message 2 of 7 (977 Views)
Tutor

Cool!  Appreciate the quick reply

Message 3 of 7 (977 Views)
Expert

Stats look great.  1500 feet and a 54Mbps max rate is definitely above average.

I would say the service should be running great, barring any problems with the inside house wiring.

Message 4 of 7 (977 Views)
Tutor

Sweet, thanks SomeJoe, there really isn't any inside wiring to worry about, Ethernet from the NID goes straight to the RG.  A tech replaced the Coax with the ethernet just last week, so it's brand new :smileyhappy:

Do you think the 24 meg connection is a bit overkill for online gaming, or should I keep it?  I dont have Uverse TV or Voice, no torrenting, no major downloads.  Really just Youtube videos, surfing, and gaming.  But if it does help with the gaming, I'll keep it.  Really appreciate the help!

Message 5 of 7 (977 Views)
Expert

I doubt the 24 Mbps would be better for gaming over the other Internet tiers.  Gaming is most sensitive to latency, and latency is pretty constant for all the different internet tiers.

In fact, the 18 Mbps and 24 Mbps tiers actually have some additional processing at AT&T's end because they have to be throttled when TV service takes priority.  (I know you don't have TV, but the logic is still in their switching equipment).

You may find that the 12 Mbps tier works identically.

Message 6 of 7 (977 Views)
Tutor

That is exactly the answer I was looking for!  I don't care too much about bandwidth, as live really doesn't use all that much, I care more about latency and speed issues (although I guess latency and speed are the same).  And hey, if I can save a few bucks in the mean time, even better (and I'm sure my Fiancee will apreciate it as well)  Thanks!

Message 7 of 7 (977 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.