Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 1, 2009
10:00:43 PM
View profile
Question Re Downstream Speed
I'm set for installation in a couple of weeks, changing from Comcast to Uverse + Internet. I signed up for Elite (up to 6 Mbps). Is that enough? Is it worth another 20 bucks/mo. to up it to 10Mbps? How will it compare to my present setup with Comcast? I do not play video games, but do download the occasional video.
I'm set for installation in a couple of weeks, changing from Comcast to Uverse + Internet. I signed up for Elite (up to 6 Mbps). Is that enough? Is it worth another 20 bucks/mo. to up it to 10Mbps? How will it compare to my present setup with Comcast? I do not play video games, but do download the occasional video.

Question Re Downstream Speed

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2009 10:20:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

what is your current speed with comcast?

Mesaurement is static, ie if you get 6 mb from comcast and 6 mb from att they are the same thing

Mesaurement is static, ie if you get 6 mb from comcast and 6 mb from att they are the same thing

Re: Question Re Downstream Speed

2 of 6 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 6:30:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

Miah wrote:

Well, they advertise 6mb but it's more like two. I guess my question is that is the 6mb from Uverse a true 6?

Miah wrote:

Well, they advertise 6mb but it's more like two. I guess my question is that is the 6mb from Uverse a true 6?

3 of 6 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 6:43:31 PM
(0)
Mentor
yes, it is.  I mean, if you are on a slow website it will be slower, but generally what they advertise is pretty close to what you get (ie you may see times that your not getting 6, but it should always be pretty stinking close to it.)
yes, it is.  I mean, if you are on a slow website it will be slower, but generally what they advertise is pretty close to what you get (ie you may see times that your not getting 6, but it should always be pretty stinking close to it.)

4 of 6 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 6:48:36 PM
(0)
Employee

The biggest difference would be the upload speed (U-verse 10Meg gives you a 1.5Mbps upload, versus 768k with the 6Meg). I like it because I access my home network via VPN, and double the upload at home means twice as fast (well, sorta) at the receiving end.

The biggest difference would be the upload speed (U-verse 10Meg gives you a 1.5Mbps upload, versus 768k with the 6Meg). I like it because I access my home network via VPN, and double the upload at home means twice as fast (well, sorta) at the receiving end.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2009 4:30:22 AM
(0)
Mentor
I believe U-Verse 6 mb down and 1 mb up, not 768.  Comcast (at least when I had it a few months ago) was 6 mb down and 1.5 mb up. If you do not upload often (send large files) then you probably won't notice the difference between your Comcast and the U-Verse 6 mb service.
I believe U-Verse 6 mb down and 1 mb up, not 768.  Comcast (at least when I had it a few months ago) was 6 mb down and 1.5 mb up. If you do not upload often (send large files) then you probably won't notice the difference between your Comcast and the U-Verse 6 mb service.

6 of 6 (755 Views)