Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 30, 2008
10:37:55 PM
Project to rebuild Internet gets $12M, bandwidth

A massive project to redesign and rebuild the Internet from scratch is inching along with $12 million in government funding and donations of network capacity by two major research organizations.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hc52zEdoL4v5JsQjJlVvDH8Er2BwD928CTBO2

Dennis

A massive project to redesign and rebuild the Internet from scratch is inching along with $12 million in government funding and donations of network capacity by two major research organizations.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hc52zEdoL4v5JsQjJlVvDH8Er2BwD928CTBO2

Dennis

Project to rebuild Internet gets $12M, bandwidth

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 2:53:18 AM
(0)
Expert
Unfortunately, that govt. $$ is going to give them the right to tax it, just like they did with phones.  But I probably won't be around to worry...
Unfortunately, that govt. $$ is going to give them the right to tax it, just like they did with phones.  But I probably won't be around to worry...

Re: Project to rebuild Internet gets $12M, bandwidth

2 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 8:00:17 AM
(0)
Guru
Ok, what I do not get is why the US has to be the one to foot the bill for the internet. It is a global tool, then every country with internet access needs to chip in some cash.
Ok, what I do not get is why the US has to be the one to foot the bill for the internet. It is a global tool, then every country with internet access needs to chip in some cash.

3 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 8:28:36 AM
(0)
Professor

nesto1 wrote:

Exactly. It is the World Wide Web.

nesto1 wrote:

Exactly. It is the World Wide Web.

4 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 9:24:15 AM
(0)
Expert

BECAUSE AL (Inventor thereof) SAID SO!:smileyvery-happy:

(clarification that this is a JOKE)

Just like WE are expected to clean the pollution from the whole planet...we're so rich, haven't you heard?

I'm guessing not many other countries allow everything to be sneaky-taxed to the hilt...isn't that why people founded this country to begin with?:smileysurprised:

nesto1 wrote:

Message Edited by spd2demun on 07-31-2008 11:44 AM

BECAUSE AL (Inventor thereof) SAID SO!:smileyvery-happy:

(clarification that this is a JOKE)

Just like WE are expected to clean the pollution from the whole planet...we're so rich, haven't you heard?

I'm guessing not many other countries allow everything to be sneaky-taxed to the hilt...isn't that why people founded this country to begin with?:smileysurprised:

nesto1 wrote:

Message Edited by spd2demun on 07-31-2008 11:44 AM

5 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 9:32:59 AM
(0)
Professor
Actually Al wasn't the inventor of the internet contrary to what some people believe. He just promoted it.
Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 07-31-2008 12:33 PM
Actually Al wasn't the inventor of the internet contrary to what some people believe. He just promoted it.
Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 07-31-2008 12:33 PM

6 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 9:43:45 AM
(0)
Expert
That was a joke...I know he isn't the Inventor, but he's the one who said it, not me. :smileywink:
That was a joke...I know he isn't the Inventor, but he's the one who said it, not me. :smileywink:

7 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 11:03:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

nesto1 wrote:

It took almost two years to get the US government to commit even this paltry sum. Imagine if we tried to get even one other country involved... it's a control thing. At least I know who I need to report to, now (yes, I am in one of the groups getting some of this funding). This is much more research right now, than anything else. We're doing a test bed to see what works and then will try deployment in 3+years of what actually works. Kinda like U-verse :smileywink: It's certainly not global at this point (it doesn't even exist, yet). And to think that no other country is doing any work that might end up enhancing/changing the Internet is ridiculous. 

While it could be taxed, more likely it will have guaranteed bandwidth for U.S. government uses (such as military) which also could not be guaranteed if outside funding was happening. 

If you care about virtualizing the network, let me know... that's what I do (sometimes).

nesto1 wrote:

It took almost two years to get the US government to commit even this paltry sum. Imagine if we tried to get even one other country involved... it's a control thing. At least I know who I need to report to, now (yes, I am in one of the groups getting some of this funding). This is much more research right now, than anything else. We're doing a test bed to see what works and then will try deployment in 3+years of what actually works. Kinda like U-verse :smileywink: It's certainly not global at this point (it doesn't even exist, yet). And to think that no other country is doing any work that might end up enhancing/changing the Internet is ridiculous. 

While it could be taxed, more likely it will have guaranteed bandwidth for U.S. government uses (such as military) which also could not be guaranteed if outside funding was happening. 

If you care about virtualizing the network, let me know... that's what I do (sometimes).

8 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 11:32:39 AM
(0)
Mentor

hmm  and what happened to Uncle Bill goal of putting up 22 satellites to change all the routing?  This was part of his MSN push to speed the internet up.  The route would of gone from ISP to uplink,  the satellite would move traffic to the proper channel based on which satellite would handle the downlink.  The traffic would repeat from satellite all channels in one direction or maybe in two direction going the shortest route (11 satellite hops max).  The speed was expected to be 4 to 25 times a OC192 backbone speed.  OC 192 is the largest backbone to date. (to my knowledge).  MCI was a OC48 backbone (now verizon) Worldcom was OC 192 (now AT&T).

guess billionairs do not ever have to follow through with their BS   like Sir Branson,  he now not going to build new energy plants.

hmm  and what happened to Uncle Bill goal of putting up 22 satellites to change all the routing?  This was part of his MSN push to speed the internet up.  The route would of gone from ISP to uplink,  the satellite would move traffic to the proper channel based on which satellite would handle the downlink.  The traffic would repeat from satellite all channels in one direction or maybe in two direction going the shortest route (11 satellite hops max).  The speed was expected to be 4 to 25 times a OC192 backbone speed.  OC 192 is the largest backbone to date. (to my knowledge).  MCI was a OC48 backbone (now verizon) Worldcom was OC 192 (now AT&T).

guess billionairs do not ever have to follow through with their BS   like Sir Branson,  he now not going to build new energy plants.

9 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 11:41:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
This is not about backbone speed (we can argue if that should be faster or not, later). This is about reinventing the way networks are built. The major problem with the Internet is that it was never designed to do what we ask it to do. Check out http://arl.wustl.edu/projects/diversified_Internet/ for a nice read on this. What this project is about is how to build a network that does do what we want/need it to do. This is really hard to do on the existing network as it's, fundamentally, built on IP and IP is realy bad for most things (like guaranteed packet delivery, QOS, priority, latency, etc.). This is about new router architectures (what I do) and control, integration of wireline and wireless, application layer utilization of the 'net, etc. 
This is not about backbone speed (we can argue if that should be faster or not, later). This is about reinventing the way networks are built. The major problem with the Internet is that it was never designed to do what we ask it to do. Check out http://arl.wustl.edu/projects/diversified_Internet/ for a nice read on this. What this project is about is how to build a network that does do what we want/need it to do. This is really hard to do on the existing network as it's, fundamentally, built on IP and IP is realy bad for most things (like guaranteed packet delivery, QOS, priority, latency, etc.). This is about new router architectures (what I do) and control, integration of wireline and wireless, application layer utilization of the 'net, etc. 

10 of 15 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 1:05:35 PM
(0)
Expert

What would it do for Uverse? :smileyhappy:

And are they talking about replacing equipment/lines as well (like that underwater cable that got kicked)?

And are they talking about replacing equipment/lines as well (like that underwater cable that got kicked)?

11 of 15 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 1:11:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

spd2demun wrote:

Short answer is "nothing."

Longer answer is "everything."

U-verse already runs over a private network, but it still uses IP and it still has problems when bandwidth is consumed or when packets get corrupted. AT&T could design their own "UVerse" protocol that would completely replace IP (not ride on top of it like TCP or UDP do) that could embed all sorts of things like guaranteed delivery, billing per bit (Oh no!), security, bandwidth allocation, etc. And they could run this next to IP (for your Internet connection) with no issues. One router does both; one control system manages both. 

We are talking about replacing equipmet, but one router at a time (as our routers can do IPv4/6 just fine, too). Cables? Probably not (but we hope to use lots of dark fiber as the testbed so in a sense it's new).

spd2demun wrote:

Short answer is "nothing."

Longer answer is "everything."

U-verse already runs over a private network, but it still uses IP and it still has problems when bandwidth is consumed or when packets get corrupted. AT&T could design their own "UVerse" protocol that would completely replace IP (not ride on top of it like TCP or UDP do) that could embed all sorts of things like guaranteed delivery, billing per bit (Oh no!), security, bandwidth allocation, etc. And they could run this next to IP (for your Internet connection) with no issues. One router does both; one control system manages both. 

We are talking about replacing equipmet, but one router at a time (as our routers can do IPv4/6 just fine, too). Cables? Probably not (but we hope to use lots of dark fiber as the testbed so in a sense it's new).

12 of 15 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 1:33:34 PM
(0)
Expert
Sounds promising, but probably not in my lifetime...
Sounds promising, but probably not in my lifetime...

13 of 15 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2008 10:45:57 PM
(0)
Master
about the only thing i understood is this whole thread i started was "not in my lifetime"...:smileysad:
Dennis
about the only thing i understood is this whole thread i started was "not in my lifetime"...:smileysad:
Dennis

14 of 15 (735 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2008 11:48:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
You too!:smileyvery-happy:
You too!:smileyvery-happy:
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 15 (735 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments