Helpful Links

Problems sending large attachments through Outlook

Contributor

Problems sending large attachments through Outlook

The sending of emails with large attachments using Outlook is not working well with our new U-Verse service.  We switched from Cox as our Internet provider to ATT U-Verse 9 days ago.  Everyting -- phone, television, and basic email are working well-- except this email issue of attachments.  Although we are supposed to have a maximum of 25 MG per email, we cannot send anything beyond about 18 MBs.  To do that I have to disable the virus scan for emails.  Sending large emails of this size was never a problem with our Cox service and the maximum email size was 20MB.  Has anyone had this problem?  Any solutions to recommend?  I spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support and they could not help me; they suspect the problem has something to do with Outlook settings.  I was referred to the ATT fee-based support or calling Microsoft.

Thanks.

Pauline

Message 1 of 3
Expert

Re: Problems sending large attachments through Outlook

E-mail file attachments are typically encoded with a method called base64.  Base64 expands the size of a file by approximately 1/3.

If 25 MB is the AT&T limit, then that is for the base64 encoded e-mail.  This limits the unencoded file to 3/4 * 25 MB = ~ 18.75 MB.  There is another tiny amount reserved for overhead, so 18 MB is approximately the limit.

You can send the file in multiple pieces if you want by using a zip program (like WinZip or 7Zip) and specifying that the .zip archive be split into 17 MB pieces.  Then send each one as a separate e-mail.  The person on the other end can then use the same .zip program to reassemble them.

Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: Problems sending large attachments through Outlook

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was afraid that the amount I was sending plus the amount needed for encoding was pushing me over the limit.  I will keep in mind your suggestions for sending multiple emails using a zip program.  Thanks again.

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support