Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 18, 2011
10:22:41 AM
View profile
Problem with DNS server 68.94.156.1

I'm a uVerse customer in California.  I have hundreds and hundreds of these entries in the system log of 2WIRE box.

INF2011-03-18T09:56:04-07:00named:  dropped malicious resp from 68.94.156.1
INF2011-03-18T10:11:05-07:00named:  Previous log entry repeated 211 times

When this occurs the system is sluggish especially the DNS lookup and name resolution.  Evidently it's not just me, there are a lot of reports on this server since several years ago.

http://www.ipillion.com/ip/68.94.156.1

Does anyone else have that problem?  Does anyone from AT&T monitor this forum?  This is a serious service issue and I'm not sure why this hasn't been addressed before.

I'm a uVerse customer in California.  I have hundreds and hundreds of these entries in the system log of 2WIRE box.

INF2011-03-18T09:56:04-07:00named:  dropped malicious resp from 68.94.156.1
INF2011-03-18T10:11:05-07:00named:  Previous log entry repeated 211 times

When this occurs the system is sluggish especially the DNS lookup and name resolution.  Evidently it's not just me, there are a lot of reports on this server since several years ago.

http://www.ipillion.com/ip/68.94.156.1

Does anyone else have that problem?  Does anyone from AT&T monitor this forum?  This is a serious service issue and I'm not sure why this hasn't been addressed before.

Problem with DNS server 68.94.156.1

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 5:35:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Nothing to worry about, it wasn't malicious, that's the only way the 2wire can record any non or weird response in a DNS request. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Nothing to worry about, it wasn't malicious, that's the only way the 2wire can record any non or weird response in a DNS request. Smiley Wink

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Problem with DNS server 68.94.156.1

2 of 8 (60,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 6:30:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

People use the ISP's DNS servers? 

Find the best DNS Server for you with Namebench

Or, be lazy and use OpenDNS or Google Public DNS

People use the ISP's DNS servers? 

Find the best DNS Server for you with Namebench

Or, be lazy and use OpenDNS or Google Public DNS

3 of 8 (60,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 8:18:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

The log entry may be misleading, but your premise that this is a non problem is incorrect.  The DNS is horribly slow on uverse at times, and these entry coincides whenever there is DNS issue.

The log entry may be misleading, but your premise that this is a non problem is incorrect.  The DNS is horribly slow on uverse at times, and these entry coincides whenever there is DNS issue.

4 of 8 (60,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 8:41:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Simply stated that the malicious naming was no problem.  Use one of the other DNS servers in doctorishm's post to see if you have better luck. Smiley Wink

Chris

Simply stated that the malicious naming was no problem.  Use one of the other DNS servers in doctorishm's post to see if you have better luck. Smiley Wink

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (60,311 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 10:05:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have same problem, this is how many times the RG FAILS to talk to the DNS or the DNS does not respond to a request that makes it use the secondary server.

This is B S on AT&T part. They have enough problems and wont even fix the DNS servers... I am using a local fast access DSL server for DNS because these new main AT&T ones suck, plus for VOD service they are bad as content provider has no way to know what location you are near to provide best feed.

Sad part is we can not modify the DNS on the router, which is dumb. I understand why but dont limit the HSI only customers because others. I ONLY have internet and should have access to do as I want... I have a 3600 that has all kinds of nice features and to be honest is a decent router but the access we get makes it crappy.

Its also sad that customers and AT&T's OWN EMPLOYEES tell us to use another DNS server which requires us to hard code on our machine or get another router, which is sad because I had to pay $100 for this one and it wont even dmz proper to my other router because its a cisco and not getting along... My problem with hard code is I go to different networks for work and need to have it allowed to dhcp the dns on those networks.

Bahh AT&T sucks more and more by the day. You want to cap us to help service you claim but cant even get the basics right.... How many people here have problems related to DNS alone? A lot.. they should fix it to stop at least som bad rep... but no, they dont care.

I have same problem, this is how many times the RG FAILS to talk to the DNS or the DNS does not respond to a request that makes it use the secondary server.

This is B S on AT&T part. They have enough problems and wont even fix the DNS servers... I am using a local fast access DSL server for DNS because these new main AT&T ones suck, plus for VOD service they are bad as content provider has no way to know what location you are near to provide best feed.

Sad part is we can not modify the DNS on the router, which is dumb. I understand why but dont limit the HSI only customers because others. I ONLY have internet and should have access to do as I want... I have a 3600 that has all kinds of nice features and to be honest is a decent router but the access we get makes it crappy.

Its also sad that customers and AT&T's OWN EMPLOYEES tell us to use another DNS server which requires us to hard code on our machine or get another router, which is sad because I had to pay $100 for this one and it wont even dmz proper to my other router because its a cisco and not getting along... My problem with hard code is I go to different networks for work and need to have it allowed to dhcp the dns on those networks.

Bahh AT&T sucks more and more by the day. You want to cap us to help service you claim but cant even get the basics right.... How many people here have problems related to DNS alone? A lot.. they should fix it to stop at least som bad rep... but no, they dont care.

6 of 8 (60,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 7:13:41 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by nwrickert on Mar 20, 2011 at 7:14:36 PM

I use the AT&T dns servers directly, instead of relying on the RG to act as a DNS relay agent.  That works pretty well.

You can do this by configuring the dns servers directly in your computers.

I use the AT&T dns servers directly, instead of relying on the RG to act as a DNS relay agent.  That works pretty well.

You can do this by configuring the dns servers directly in your computers.

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (60,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2011 6:29:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had this problem.  After lots of work, found it to be related to having a 2wire 3800HGV-B with the latest software (don't have ver#) and maybe the fact it was configure in "Bridge" mode.  Solution was to have ATT replace with 3801HGV to fix the problem. BTW, ATT removed the "Bridge" mode option which maybe related to the cause.

I had this problem.  After lots of work, found it to be related to having a 2wire 3800HGV-B with the latest software (don't have ver#) and maybe the fact it was configure in "Bridge" mode.  Solution was to have ATT replace with 3801HGV to fix the problem. BTW, ATT removed the "Bridge" mode option which maybe related to the cause.

8 of 8 (60,024 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments