Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 15, 2010
5:38:49 PM
Privacy Policy - How to Delete Yahoo Profile?

I'm a new uverse customer. I had to switch from earthlink to get att uverse since the phone line needed to be clear, so I had to get att dsl first.

I was planning on closing my old email and using my new att email.

It turns out that att does not offer email, they use yahoo. So now I have a yahoo email and profile with my real name and D.O.B. I would have tolerated this, but before I could even use the new att.net email it started to receive spam. I never even used this address. This can only mean that Yahoo sold the address violating their own privacy policy. I now don't want anything to do with yahoo.

I can't find a way to delete the att.net yahoo profile or disable the att.net email. I'm now paying earthlink $28.99 a year to maintain my 2 email addresses. So now I just need to lock down this yahoo account which I don't trust at all. I just found an option to hide the profile. I've also put a fake name in. It would be nice to delete it completely.

I've also spent some time turning off and opting out of things. However, I found out that I was automatically opt-in for ads, so when I bought airline tickets for work, yahoo tracked it. I found out how to turn that off, but why was it on by default and buried in the private policy page? Now I really don't want to log into att.net since I may forget to clear my history. So I really am not going to use any att.net services including the email. At least this forum is separate.

If anything, new customers to att uverse should not be forced to also create a yahoo profile with real information. I thought I was creating an att account when I setup the DSL, not giving my name and DOB to yahoo. Also, since I am paying att for email I should not have to deal with ads at all let alone having my activity tracked. I've had earthlink for over 10 years and I've never had this kind of spam or privacy concerns.

Right now I would like to find a way to either use my earthlink email for my uverse account or to disable both my att.net email and my att yahoo profile. I'll eat the $2.42 a month to keep my old email and deal with the privacy policy violation later.

Any ideas or similar experiences? Otherwise, uverse is fantastic!

I'm a new uverse customer. I had to switch from earthlink to get att uverse since the phone line needed to be clear, so I had to get att dsl first.

I was planning on closing my old email and using my new att email.

It turns out that att does not offer email, they use yahoo. So now I have a yahoo email and profile with my real name and D.O.B. I would have tolerated this, but before I could even use the new att.net email it started to receive spam. I never even used this address. This can only mean that Yahoo sold the address violating their own privacy policy. I now don't want anything to do with yahoo.

I can't find a way to delete the att.net yahoo profile or disable the att.net email. I'm now paying earthlink $28.99 a year to maintain my 2 email addresses. So now I just need to lock down this yahoo account which I don't trust at all. I just found an option to hide the profile. I've also put a fake name in. It would be nice to delete it completely.

I've also spent some time turning off and opting out of things. However, I found out that I was automatically opt-in for ads, so when I bought airline tickets for work, yahoo tracked it. I found out how to turn that off, but why was it on by default and buried in the private policy page? Now I really don't want to log into att.net since I may forget to clear my history. So I really am not going to use any att.net services including the email. At least this forum is separate.

If anything, new customers to att uverse should not be forced to also create a yahoo profile with real information. I thought I was creating an att account when I setup the DSL, not giving my name and DOB to yahoo. Also, since I am paying att for email I should not have to deal with ads at all let alone having my activity tracked. I've had earthlink for over 10 years and I've never had this kind of spam or privacy concerns.

Right now I would like to find a way to either use my earthlink email for my uverse account or to disable both my att.net email and my att yahoo profile. I'll eat the $2.42 a month to keep my old email and deal with the privacy policy violation later.

Any ideas or similar experiences? Otherwise, uverse is fantastic!

Privacy Policy - How to Delete Yahoo Profile?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2010 6:11:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You won't be able to delete the att/yahoo email account as far as I know.  You can call ts to get help with either disabling it or editing your info. 800.983-2811

You won't be able to delete the att/yahoo email account as far as I know.  You can call ts to get help with either disabling it or editing your info. 800.983-2811

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Privacy Policy - How to Delete Yahoo Profile?

2 of 5 (2,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2010 7:46:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

nyquist333 wrote:
I would have tolerated this, but before I could even use the new att.net email it started to receive spam. I never even used this address. This can only mean that Yahoo sold the address violating their own privacy policy.

I doubt that they sold the address.

I get a huge amount of spam on my main address.

I get a lot of spam on a separate subaccount that I use for personal email.

My wife gets almost none on the subaddress she uses.

I'm pretty sure that the difference is in the names used.  The spammers do a lot of dictionary testing of email addresses, and the easier the name part is to find in a dictionary, the more spam you will get on that account.

nyquist333 wrote:
I would have tolerated this, but before I could even use the new att.net email it started to receive spam. I never even used this address. This can only mean that Yahoo sold the address violating their own privacy policy.

I doubt that they sold the address.

I get a huge amount of spam on my main address.

I get a lot of spam on a separate subaccount that I use for personal email.

My wife gets almost none on the subaddress she uses.

I'm pretty sure that the difference is in the names used.  The spammers do a lot of dictionary testing of email addresses, and the easier the name part is to find in a dictionary, the more spam you will get on that account.

3 of 5 (2,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2010 1:56:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had thought the same thing at first about the simple email name. I still think yahoo sells or leaks the main account. I know 2 other people, one is a business, with att DSL. They get no spam in the subaddresses but the main account is over loaded with spam.

If the spammers were doing dictionary testing then a sub account with a simple email would also get spam. I have a sub account that I've never used and it is not getting anything. It really does look like the main account gets out somehow, but the sub accounts are left alone as long as you don't use them. There are some posts in this forum describing the same thing.

What's really missing from yahoo is pre-filter. Other ISPs have a block "known" spam option that blocks spam at the server all you see is a counter. They look at lists of known spammers and track messages delivered in bulk in real time. Then you can turn on the suspected spam which works like yahoo and have email flagged as spam.

I would have used an alias email if I had the option from the start. On the other hand, if yahoo can't keep the main account email private and that is what ATT is using for your DSL and uverse log in, then it really does not matter if you could use an alias from yahoo.

I had thought the same thing at first about the simple email name. I still think yahoo sells or leaks the main account. I know 2 other people, one is a business, with att DSL. They get no spam in the subaddresses but the main account is over loaded with spam.

If the spammers were doing dictionary testing then a sub account with a simple email would also get spam. I have a sub account that I've never used and it is not getting anything. It really does look like the main account gets out somehow, but the sub accounts are left alone as long as you don't use them. There are some posts in this forum describing the same thing.

What's really missing from yahoo is pre-filter. Other ISPs have a block "known" spam option that blocks spam at the server all you see is a counter. They look at lists of known spammers and track messages delivered in bulk in real time. Then you can turn on the suspected spam which works like yahoo and have email flagged as spam.

I would have used an alias email if I had the option from the start. On the other hand, if yahoo can't keep the main account email private and that is what ATT is using for your DSL and uverse log in, then it really does not matter if you could use an alias from yahoo.

4 of 5 (2,475 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2010 11:08:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have Spamguard enabled on Yahoo webmail and get very little spam. :smileywink:

Edit:  There are a number of filters available online.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

I have Spamguard enabled on Yahoo webmail and get very little spam. :smileywink:

Edit:  There are a number of filters available online.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (2,475 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments