Helpful Links

Primary Account ID / Change & Merge

Mentor

Primary Account ID / Change & Merge

I currently have xxxxxxxxxxxx@sbcglobal.net and wanted to change my primary account id to the @att.net domain.  Also ever since I set up my sbcglobal.net address I have never been able to sync my Yahoo id with my primary account.  I was on the phone with support for days regarding this issue about a year ago and basically gave up as most of the information I was given was incorrect at best.

So can I change my primary account id to the new domain and what is the process to merge with my yahoo id?

If anymore information is needed let me know.  This process should not be that hard, especially in 2k9 right?

Message 1 of 11
Guru

Re: Primary Account ID / Change & Merge

No.

Your only recourse is to open a new account and close your old one. No merging or changing IDs of existing accounts.

Message 2 of 11
Mentor

So when you say close my account, do you mean cancel my service completely and then start over again?

If that is truly the case, I would probably lose some of the perks on my account and might not be worth it.

Message 3 of 11
Guru

When I made a similar request, I was told that there is no way to change an account ID, that I had to open a new account if I wanted a new ID and sign up for services all over again. I didn't pursue it further.

Message 4 of 11
Mentor

Ok, thanks.  Is the same true for merging my existing Yahoo ID with my existing sbcglobal account?
Message 5 of 11
Guru

It never occurred to me to want to merge my yahoo.com with my sbcglobal.net. I use my yahoo address only when required to register with web sites, etc, and don't use it for correspondence. That way all incoming on that address is, by definition, spam, so I never need to check it and use my yahoo page (rather than email client) when I do.
Message 6 of 11
Mentor

My reasoning to merge is so one id (the yahoo one) can be used for both ATT services as well as Yahoo services.  Much shorter to type in and makes things much easier.
Message 7 of 11
Guru

My understanding was that every AT&T account is given a free Yahoo email account. Did you already have a Yahoo account before signing up? If so, then my guess is that you need to open a new Yahoo ID under AT&T.
Message 8 of 11
Expert

You can only merge them on ATT DSL, not Uverse.  I merged mine years ago when on SBCglobal DSL. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 9 of 11
Mentor

Thank you, thats exactly what I was able to do with my previous DSL account.

Too bad you cannot do the same with Uverse accounts.   Anyway clarifies the issue, appreciate it.

Message 10 of 11
Mentor

Quick update, I was able to change my primary ID from @sbcglobal.net to @att.net with the help of tier 2 support.  They were understanding of my issue and released my ID so I could make the change.  Process was simple and while they may not let everyone make this change, it can be done.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support