Posted Dec 18, 2010
7:26:42 PM
View profile
Pre Christmas gift :-} New wireless BluRay player

Have a new wireless BluRay  player that connects to my 2wire, but is SLOW....

Can I conect it to my DVR via ethernet or ????? since they sit right next to one another....

Thanks in advance !

John

Have a new wireless BluRay  player that connects to my 2wire, but is SLOW....

Can I conect it to my DVR via ethernet or ????? since they sit right next to one another....

Thanks in advance !

John

Pre Christmas gift :-} New wireless BluRay player

29 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2010 9:59:58 PM
(0)
Expert

Congrats on your gift. :smileyhappy:

You mean the UV Wireless is slow?

You should be able to plug it into the Ethernet port on the DVR.  I gather that will be for firmware upgrades, or streaming with Netflix and the like?

Congrats on your gift. :smileyhappy:

You mean the UV Wireless is slow?

You should be able to plug it into the Ethernet port on the DVR.  I gather that will be for firmware upgrades, or streaming with Netflix and the like?

Re: Pre Christmas gift :-} New wireless BluRay player

2 of 30 (1,408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 7:45:45 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by JohnBoyToo on Dec 20, 2010 at 7:49:28 AM

Thanks for the response.... yes, want it for netflix, etc....

Will try connecting the dvr to bluray via ethernet....

but happened to be on with phone support just now and they said it doesn't work :smileyhappy:

I have the 18Mg service, but the wireless says it only gets like 345 throughput....

and netflix, etc... says it requires 1.5M at least....

the shine is wearing off my christmas gift already - boo hoo...:mansad:

Thanks for the response.... yes, want it for netflix, etc....

Will try connecting the dvr to bluray via ethernet....

but happened to be on with phone support just now and they said it doesn't work :smileyhappy:

I have the 18Mg service, but the wireless says it only gets like 345 throughput....

and netflix, etc... says it requires 1.5M at least....

the shine is wearing off my christmas gift already - boo hoo...:mansad:

[ Edited ]
3 of 30 (1,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 4:30:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I would try connecting it to the web anyway.  Come back here and ask for suggestions.  Just because cs said it won't work doesn't mean it won't.  IMHO

I would try connecting it to the web anyway.  Come back here and ask for suggestions.  Just because cs said it won't work doesn't mean it won't.  IMHO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 30 (1,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 6:04:59 PM
(0)
Expert

Agree, give it a whirl and let us know how it goes!

Agree, give it a whirl and let us know how it goes!

5 of 30 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 7:38:53 PM
(0)
Guru

RCSMG wrote:

I agree, at&t's CSR's will say anything, definately when it's not supported by at&t

@JBT-I would say try it, it should work:smileywink:

RCSMG wrote:

I agree, at&t's CSR's will say anything, definately when it's not supported by at&t

@JBT-I would say try it, it should work:smileywink:

6 of 30 (1,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 7:42:33 PM
(0)
Expert

I'm sure others here are doing it, but I couldn't find the posts where I read it.

I'm sure others here are doing it, but I couldn't find the posts where I read it.

7 of 30 (1,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 3:19:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

My Blu-Ray player doesn't have wireless and I have it hooked up to the ethernet port on the back of the STB and it works just fine.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

My Blu-Ray player doesn't have wireless and I have it hooked up to the ethernet port on the back of the STB and it works just fine.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 30 (1,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 9:33:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have a Seagate Freeagent Theater+ media player connected via the Ethernet port on the DVR.  It does work well for streaming media from my PC to the media player.  Some third party apps (Tversity and PlayOn) seem to buffer a lot and I wonder if a direct wired connection to the RG would be better?

I have a Seagate Freeagent Theater+ media player connected via the Ethernet port on the DVR.  It does work well for streaming media from my PC to the media player.  Some third party apps (Tversity and PlayOn) seem to buffer a lot and I wonder if a direct wired connection to the RG would be better?

9 of 30 (1,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 2:59:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

Wow.

A huge big thank you to outfanindallas and dhascall. It never even occured to me to connect my Blue Ray player to the Ethernet port on my Set Top Box. Prior to doing so, I had a wireless connection that was so-so. Netflix would buffer periodically and streaming content from my computer was an exercise in frustration.

Not only does the wired connection work, it works far better than the wireless connection. Thanks a bunch for the tip!

Wow.

A huge big thank you to outfanindallas and dhascall. It never even occured to me to connect my Blue Ray player to the Ethernet port on my Set Top Box. Prior to doing so, I had a wireless connection that was so-so. Netflix would buffer periodically and streaming content from my computer was an exercise in frustration.

Not only does the wired connection work, it works far better than the wireless connection. Thanks a bunch for the tip!

10 of 30 (1,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 3:10:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

Wow.

Cool - any time!

marcindublin wrote:

Wow.

Cool - any time!

11 of 30 (679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 3:53:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Glad you got it taken care of. 

Glad you got it taken care of. 

12 of 30 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 5:44:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

As did the original poster :smileyhappy:

Thanks for correcting the helpless desk !!!

works fine

As did the original poster :smileyhappy:

Thanks for correcting the helpless desk !!!

works fine

13 of 30 (650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 7:39:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 22, 2010 at 7:41:39 AM

I believe that I am getting another Seagate FAT+ media player for Christmas.  This one will be connected to a TV near the RG and I will see how differently a direct connection to the RG works compared to one to the Ethernet port on a STB.

BTW - the Seagate FAT+ is still carried by Newegg and the price fluctuates between $39 and $49.  I bought my first for $83 (on Clearance) at Best Buy.

I believe that I am getting another Seagate FAT+ media player for Christmas.  This one will be connected to a TV near the RG and I will see how differently a direct connection to the RG works compared to one to the Ethernet port on a STB.

BTW - the Seagate FAT+ is still carried by Newegg and the price fluctuates between $39 and $49.  I bought my first for $83 (on Clearance) at Best Buy.

[ Edited ]
14 of 30 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 9:32:56 AM
(0)
Expert

Real Users = Real Advice :smileyhappy:

Real Users = Real Advice :smileyhappy:

15 of 30 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 8:12:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

Plugging in an ethernet cable not only works from the DVR box, it'll work from a regular set top box as well. This is a very convenient bonus to having U-Verse - essentially, you get free Ethernet outlets where ever you have a box installed. Old news for many, I'm sure, but I didn't know it so I thought I'd pass it along.

Plugging in an ethernet cable not only works from the DVR box, it'll work from a regular set top box as well. This is a very convenient bonus to having U-Verse - essentially, you get free Ethernet outlets where ever you have a box installed. Old news for many, I'm sure, but I didn't know it so I thought I'd pass it along.

16 of 30 (549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 3:03:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

Does anyone know if a simple switch plugged into the back of the STB will drive both a TV and a Blu Ray player? I use the connection for my TV, but wonder if I can also simultaneously use an Internet-enabled DVD player.

Does anyone know if a simple switch plugged into the back of the STB will drive both a TV and a Blu Ray player? I use the connection for my TV, but wonder if I can also simultaneously use an Internet-enabled DVD player.

17 of 30 (525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 3:58:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

I agree, its a blessing using the available ethernet port.

My 4+yr. old Ps3's wifi has been losing stability when I try streaming netflix and vudu I would need constant buffering and it would get constant drop outs.So looking around these threads I see some users connecting their gaming/blu-ray players connected directly with the rj45 port and having no issues.

I was a bit nervous doing so,so I tried and it has been working like a champ.I just make sure both my stb and PS3 arent on at the sametime.

My only question is I have 18mbs 1.5 internet and when I run a speed test on my laptops,I get around 15-17+Mb up and then when I run a speed test from my PS3 wired to the stb I get a 6.75 mb up result ?

Either way I hope its not an issue using the available ports after awhile...

My 4+yr. old Ps3's wifi has been losing stability when I try streaming netflix and vudu I would need constant buffering and it would get constant drop outs.So looking around these threads I see some users connecting their gaming/blu-ray players connected directly with the rj45 port and having no issues.

I was a bit nervous doing so,so I tried and it has been working like a champ.I just make sure both my stb and PS3 arent on at the sametime.

My only question is I have 18mbs 1.5 internet and when I run a speed test on my laptops,I get around 15-17+Mb up and then when I run a speed test from my PS3 wired to the stb I get a 6.75 mb up result ?

Either way I hope its not an issue using the available ports after awhile...

18 of 30 (517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2010 10:29:43 PM
(0)
Guru

peteyboy wrote:

Same here, my neices have two laptops running Win7 that will for the life of day will not connect to the RG wirelessly (yet Droids, iPhones, iPods, iPads, Macs, and Windows XP connects fine), and the place they wanted to use it was nowhere close to the RG, so a direct ethernet connection to the RG was out of the question, yet the U-verse STB was in just the right place, what a releif it was when we connected the laptop to the STB and got a working LAN connection easily

peteyboy wrote:

Same here, my neices have two laptops running Win7 that will for the life of day will not connect to the RG wirelessly (yet Droids, iPhones, iPods, iPads, Macs, and Windows XP connects fine), and the place they wanted to use it was nowhere close to the RG, so a direct ethernet connection to the RG was out of the question, yet the U-verse STB was in just the right place, what a releif it was when we connected the laptop to the STB and got a working LAN connection easily

19 of 30 (469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 9:13:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

For those curious, I got a second Seagate Freeagent Theater+ box and I direct connected that one to the RG and unfortunately, Hulu via PlayOn still has stuttering issues.  Could I configure the RG to allow a more stable stream like a user did here?  Can anyone give me step by step's for the Seagate, if it would help?

dhascall wrote:

For those curious, I got a second Seagate Freeagent Theater+ box and I direct connected that one to the RG and unfortunately, Hulu via PlayOn still has stuttering issues.  Could I configure the RG to allow a more stable stream like a user did here?  Can anyone give me step by step's for the Seagate, if it would help?

20 of 30 (446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 9:16:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mikedamirault wrote:

peteyboy wrote:

Friends of ours (retirees) just bought a brand new Win7 laptop and also can not connect to the RG.  Just 8 feet away.  Wired works but not wireless.  Seems like a common Win7 / 2Wire issue?

mikedamirault wrote:

peteyboy wrote:

Friends of ours (retirees) just bought a brand new Win7 laptop and also can not connect to the RG.  Just 8 feet away.  Wired works but not wireless.  Seems like a common Win7 / 2Wire issue?

21 of 30 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 1:31:18 AM
(0)
Guru

dhascall wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

peteyboy wrote:

Seems to be

dhascall wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

peteyboy wrote:

Seems to be

22 of 30 (638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 3:55:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I wonder why this happens?  Some people can connect to the UV wireless with no problems and other have to jump through hoops.  Make sure your laptop's wireless switch is turned on.  I have seen that happen when connecting to any wireless source.  That is the first thing I will suggest you do.  Let us know if that resolves your connectivity issues.

I wonder why this happens?  Some people can connect to the UV wireless with no problems and other have to jump through hoops.  Make sure your laptop's wireless switch is turned on.  I have seen that happen when connecting to any wireless source.  That is the first thing I will suggest you do.  Let us know if that resolves your connectivity issues.

23 of 30 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 4:25:23 PM
(0)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

I doubt that any kind of firewall configuration is the issue.

To troubleshoot this, you really would have to look at some network packet captures from Wireshark to see if you could pin down what is resulting in the delay.

dhascall wrote:

To troubleshoot this, you really would have to look at some network packet captures from Wireshark to see if you could pin down what is resulting in the delay.

24 of 30 (584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 12:52:16 AM
(0)
Guru

RCSMG wrote:

The issue with Win7 doesn't have to do anything about having the wireless card on or off, I had the wireless card on, and was able to find the RG, but during the process of connecting to the RG, it fails before the point it asks for the WPA credentials, making it so you can't type them in (it fails before the text field comes up), but at the same time, the same setup works fine on any pre-7 (Vista and earlier) version of Windows, all linux based OSs (including smartphone firmwares), and any "Airport" Capable Mac OS

It is possible that the router firmware used on the RG, or possibly even the WiFi radio, is in some way incompatible with Win7, it's the first time I have heard of such an incompatibility, but for the same thing to happen on 2 laptops running Win7, and even dhascall having the same issue with Win7, It's hard to say it's not an incompatibility issue

RCSMG wrote:

The issue with Win7 doesn't have to do anything about having the wireless card on or off, I had the wireless card on, and was able to find the RG, but during the process of connecting to the RG, it fails before the point it asks for the WPA credentials, making it so you can't type them in (it fails before the text field comes up), but at the same time, the same setup works fine on any pre-7 (Vista and earlier) version of Windows, all linux based OSs (including smartphone firmwares), and any "Airport" Capable Mac OS

It is possible that the router firmware used on the RG, or possibly even the WiFi radio, is in some way incompatible with Win7, it's the first time I have heard of such an incompatibility, but for the same thing to happen on 2 laptops running Win7, and even dhascall having the same issue with Win7, It's hard to say it's not an incompatibility issue

25 of 30 (548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 1:02:39 AM
(0)
Expert

I never had a Wireless problem after I switched to 7 RC (from XP), and that was using the UV RG (instead of Air Port Extreme that was used as WAP when I had problems here).

BUT, after getting the new laptop with 7 installed, I cannot connect automatically to my WAP once the laptop is turned off (or battery dies).  The tab is actually missing to set it to auto connect to preferred network (but it was there before).

I don't know if it's a 7 issue, but something happened here.  I just keep my password handy to cut and paste every time I need the Internet. :smileysad:

I never had a Wireless problem after I switched to 7 RC (from XP), and that was using the UV RG (instead of Air Port Extreme that was used as WAP when I had problems here).

BUT, after getting the new laptop with 7 installed, I cannot connect automatically to my WAP once the laptop is turned off (or battery dies).  The tab is actually missing to set it to auto connect to preferred network (but it was there before).

I don't know if it's a 7 issue, but something happened here.  I just keep my password handy to cut and paste every time I need the Internet. :smileysad:

26 of 30 (544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 8:28:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Thanks SJ!  Will poke round with Wireshark to see what it shows.  Any chance of adding that sort of functionality to UVerse Realtime or is that apples / oranges?

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Thanks SJ!  Will poke round with Wireshark to see what it shows.  Any chance of adding that sort of functionality to UVerse Realtime or is that apples / oranges?

27 of 30 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 12:30:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I bought a new Win 7 laptop that connected immediately wirelessly, and I have a Win 7 laptop upgraded from Vista that connected as well. 

I bought a new Win 7 laptop that connected immediately wirelessly, and I have a Win 7 laptop upgraded from Vista that connected as well. 

28 of 30 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 1:17:55 PM
(0)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

UVRT is meant as a system monitor and U-Verse-specific troubleshooter, not a general-purpose network troubleshooting tool.

To figure out what's wrong with your setup will require a more generic approach which is what Wireshark provides.  It will give you a packet capture from the network, and then that has to be interpreted to see what is going on.

If you need assistance with this, save the packet captures and then PM me.

dhascall wrote:

UVRT is meant as a system monitor and U-Verse-specific troubleshooter, not a general-purpose network troubleshooting tool.

To figure out what's wrong with your setup will require a more generic approach which is what Wireshark provides.  It will give you a packet capture from the network, and then that has to be interpreted to see what is going on.

If you need assistance with this, save the packet captures and then PM me.

29 of 30 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 8:14:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Will do.  Thanks, kind sir.

Will do.  Thanks, kind sir.

30 of 30 (452 Views)