Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 23, 2011
5:14:34 AM
Possible solution for NetFlix/News video and other performance problems.

An AT&T rep had me perform a simple test, use Google DNS instead of the DHCP delivered DNS address from the UVerse router. Preliminary results of streaming 2 video's each from 4 news sites last night showed a remarkable increase in performance. This morning as well, not a single glitch. I moved dhcp to my 'nix box but unfortunately for most, with the DHCP service on the UVerse router you can not specify DNS to be handed out to DHCP clients. You have to manually set it on each device. If anyone else tries this fix I'd be interested in hearing results.

An AT&T rep had me perform a simple test, use Google DNS instead of the DHCP delivered DNS address from the UVerse router. Preliminary results of streaming 2 video's each from 4 news sites last night showed a remarkable increase in performance. This morning as well, not a single glitch. I moved dhcp to my 'nix box but unfortunately for most, with the DHCP service on the UVerse router you can not specify DNS to be handed out to DHCP clients. You have to manually set it on each device. If anyone else tries this fix I'd be interested in hearing results.

Possible solution for NetFlix/News video and other performance problems.

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 1:14:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

When I was having this problem, I was already using Google DNS and it didn't make a difference for my systems. For some reason, the streaming slowdown has resolved itself.

When I was having this problem, I was already using Google DNS and it didn't make a difference for my systems. For some reason, the streaming slowdown has resolved itself.

Re: Possible solution for NetFlix/News video and other performance problems.

2 of 2 (200 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments