Possible New iNID

Expert

Possible New iNID

I was browsing through my line stats database today and saw something interesting.

I have about 25 iNID (i3812V) entries in the database, all of them are hardware version 2700-000679-004, which is a variant of what's in the standard 3800HGV-B router.

But today, there's an odd one in there:  An iNID that has hardware version 000705-004, which is a variant of the hardware version used for the new 3801HGV (newer RG, hardware version 000778-004).

It would appear that there may be a new revision of the iNID being looked at or tested, which has the newer chipset in it that the 3801HGVs have.  This may continue to improve the iNID's pair-bonding service, which appears subject to several little issues that are sometimes not easy to correct.

Anyhow, I thought it was interesting.  The line stats database in general is picking up some unusual things, including 5 people who have or are testing 3801HGV routers.

Message 1 of 40 (2,781 Views)
Expert

Re: Possible New iNID

jmw2800 wrote:

I was activated on Saturday with pair bonding and an INID. I have the 000705-004 version and the

smaller i3812V RG. I have a interleave service as follows:

User Rate 25307 kbs 1420 kbs

I am about 4000 feet from the VRAD according to the techs meter. My DSL links have remained

solid and have not retrained since installation 50 hours ago. I am grateful to have service in my

older neighborhood (1960's vintage).

Jeff

Welcome to Uverse.

Message 16 of 40 (2,379 Views)
Guru

Wait, isn't that supposed to be a 25/2 profile... not 25/1.5?

Message 17 of 40 (2,379 Views)
Expert

trparky wrote:

Wait, isn't that supposed to be a 25/2 profile... not 25/1.5?

I believe the proper (i.e. the designed) profile for iNID installations is actually 25/1.5.

iNID lines are (supposed to) be provisioned differently than normal single-line installations on a 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, or 3600HGV.  Normally, the VDSL2 frequency allocation (also called the "band plan") is as follows:

Downstream 1: 0.138 MHz - 3.75 MHz

Upstream 1: 3.75 MHz - 5.2 MHz

Downstream 2: 5.2 MHz - 8.5 MHz

This is a standard VDSL allocation and band plan, known as G993.2 allocation 8d, band plan 998.

For the iNID, the upstream band 1 is assumed to not be available due to distance, so the pair-bonded lines follow a different band plan that looks like this:

Upstream 0: 0.026 MHz - 0.138 MHz

Downstream 1: 0.138 MHz - 3.75 MHz

This is G993.2, allocation 8d, with a modified band plan 998.  (For convenience, I'm going to call it band plan 998a).

I have 36 iNIDs in the database.  9 of them have line profiles that are approximately 25/2.  Of those 9, 5 of them are using lines that are not provisioned properly for the iNID.  Instead of their lines using band plan 998a as intended for the iNID, they're using 998.  This allows them to use upstream band 1 instead of upstream band 0 and contributes to their ability to increase the upstream profile rate.  Furthermore, these lines have upstream power levels in the 6-7 dBm range which is well above the other iNIDs.  So I believe these 25/2 lines are actually not proper iNID installations.

The remaining 27 iNIDs are all using 998a lines, and nearly all of them have a resulting profile near 25/1.5.  These lines also have an upstream power level of approximately -0.5 dBm, which is 6-7 dBm lower than the other 9 lines.  I assume this is done to reduce cross-talk.  I believe these are proper iNID installations.

The 1.5 Mbps upstream profile limitation is also the likely reason that the highest internet package available to iNID users is the 12/1.  18/1.5 would not run properly with a 25/1.5 line profile.

Message 18 of 40 (2,379 Views)
Guru

Yeah, but I thought you need the upload speed to be able to handle the higher download speeds due to the fact that you have to factor in the standard TCP/IP handshake in which if you don't have enough upstream your downstream is limited because ACK packets aren't getting to the endpoint fast enough.

Message 19 of 40 (2,379 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

trparky wrote:

Yeah, but I thought you need the upload speed to be able to handle the higher download speeds due to the fact that you have to factor in the standard TCP/IP handshake in which if you don't have enough upstream your downstream is limited because ACK packets aren't getting to the endpoint fast enough.

That's not really a bandwidth issue, but more of a latency issue.

For 1500 byte download IP packets, the ACK is only 64 bytes.  That's over a 20:1 ratio, meaning you only need 1/20th the bandwidth in the upload direction.  For an 18 Mbps download, that translates to only about 900 kbps in the upload direction.

But if the end-point to end-point latency is high, then the TCP window has to expand in order for the sender to utilize the full bandwidth.  Vista and 7 handle this well, XP only does so with some TCP/IP stack tweaking.

Message 20 of 40 (2,379 Views)
Mentor

Is this a valid iNID installation description?

iNID is installed outside at the entry point to the residence. (Are two models available, i3802V and i3812V?)

A single Ethernet CAT6 is routed indoors to the Access Point/Hub i38HG.

From the i38HG, CAT6 is connected to the DVR, STB's and computers. Also, RG-11 cable connects to telephones for VOIP.

If this scenario is acceptable, my home is ready for the iNID. I am 3400' from the VRAD, and pair bonding is my only hope.

Thanks

Message 21 of 40 (2,364 Views)
Guru

I believe that the type of wire that is used to install the service in your house all depends upon what the Prem Tech wants to use.  If you ask me Ethernet is the best option since... let's face it, Ethernet is built for data.  The Coax solution is ok if that's all you can use but if at all possible use Ethernet.

Ethernet is far less susceptible to weird issues whereas the Coax solution is very finicky about the quality of the cable, the quality of the connectors, and the quality of the splitters used in the setup.  Ethernet, tried and true technology for data transfer.

I have no scientific proof but I'd have to say that the majority of bad uVerse installs and system issues are caused by bad coax whereas we hardly ever see any issues with Ethernet installations.

Message 22 of 40 (2,364 Views)
Expert

gopcs wrote:

Is this a valid iNID installation description?

iNID is installed outside at the entry point to the residence. (Are two models available, i3802V and i3812V?)

A single Ethernet CAT6 is routed indoors to the Access Point/Hub i38HG.

From the i38HG, CAT6 is connected to the DVR, STB's and computers. Also, RG-11 cable connects to telephones for VOIP.

If this scenario is acceptable, my home is ready for the iNID. I am 3400' from the VRAD, and pair bonding is my only hope.

Yes, I believe that is the correct wiring setup for an iNID.

As far as I know, there is only one model of the iNID available, the i3812V.  I have not heard of an i3802V.

Message 23 of 40 (2,364 Views)
Contributor

unfortunately you are incorrect about the workers installing the uVERSE.....they are not represented!!

Message 24 of 40 (2,364 Views)
Expert

Huh?

alpumpdup wrote:

unfortunately you are incorrect about the workers installing the uVERSE.....they are not represented!!

Message 25 of 40 (2,364 Views)
Expert

:smileyvery-happy:

Message 26 of 40 (2,365 Views)
Tutor

So I'm fairly new to U-verse.. and have been referring to these boards.. and this is my first post.. so here goes.

on 8/9  I had u-verse installed, about 4200ft from the VRAD

using an iNID i3812V

long story short.. worked for 3 weeks, and now the past 2 weeks have been hell

iNID either loses the link for 5-10 minutes.. or 5-12 hours.   The strange part it as of late, a patter has emerged, the iNID can't stay past 24 hours with out a complete re-boot.. sometimes it boots up fine.. other times it takes hours.  But rest assured, it senses an AT&T U-verse truck enroute to my house and boots up before they arrive.

When it's a long term loss of service, the iNID power light blings GREEN for about 20 times, holds GREEN, hold RED.. repeats.

I've had trucks roll out here about 9 times now.   I think they think I'm crazy (thank god for diagnostics)

thoughts?  I can't find a similar situation on here.. I'm going to have to drop u-verse soon if there isn't a fix.  I hate TimeWarner.. and loathe my TiVo

Message 27 of 40 (2,365 Views)
Guru

Contact uversecare@att.com and either Matt or David will be able to help you.

Message 28 of 40 (2,365 Views)
Expert

You can use the hyperlink in my sig to send and email to David.  Give him all of your info.

Message 29 of 40 (2,365 Views)
Tutor

Got a call from ATT Executive Custom Relations..  (as a result of my unhappy post on their Facebook Page)

any way.. they replaced the iNID a 3rd time... my iNID is no longer rebooting, but it's taking more errors, and one line has a DSL Training error every 14 to 24 hours, which causes a loss in service for about 4 minutes. 

Had another tech come out, and he said that AT&T has halted all future iNID installs for now.

Being as far as I am from the VRAD (4500 to 5000 ft).. i guess I'm lucky.. I just wish the line techs could find a better pair of lines.

Message 30 of 40 (2,367 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.