Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 22, 2010
11:04:59 PM
Port Forwarding on 2Wire 3800HGV-B

I researched past discussions on this topic but could not find solution for my problem.

I am trying to access a DVR(Digital Video Recorder) from a remote network. I have a static IP assigned to my DVR and also to the router gateway. Now I am able to use that static IP and port # 8000 to access the DVR from the local network through a browser on my laptop connected to the same network. But I cannot do the same from a remote network, i.e if my laptop is connected to a remote network.

I tried doing port forwarding but I was not sure if I was doing the right way. I am not sure if I am using the right IP to access from remote network. 

Any suggestion will be greatly apprecited.

Thanks

I researched past discussions on this topic but could not find solution for my problem.

I am trying to access a DVR(Digital Video Recorder) from a remote network. I have a static IP assigned to my DVR and also to the router gateway. Now I am able to use that static IP and port # 8000 to access the DVR from the local network through a browser on my laptop connected to the same network. But I cannot do the same from a remote network, i.e if my laptop is connected to a remote network.

I tried doing port forwarding but I was not sure if I was doing the right way. I am not sure if I am using the right IP to access from remote network. 

Any suggestion will be greatly apprecited.

Thanks

Port Forwarding on 2Wire 3800HGV-B

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 6:08:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

When you say at "static" address, perhaps a little clarification is in order.

Your DVR device has what IP address?  A private non routable address like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x? or 172.16.x.x?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_IP_address

If you go to a site via your computer like say www.speedtest.net - that site will show you what your "external" routable address is - that is issued to your RG by AT&T.

That External or routable address is a real address accessible from the internet.  Any of those "non-routable" addresses are not recognized by internet routers, hence that traffic will be dropped.  Hence those addresses are only usable on your private LAN behind equipment provided to you by an internet provider.

That said ... you will need to put forwarding rules or the such into your RG in order to help forward or translate inbound requests from the internet to the correct private host in your network (your DVR).

I hope this helps.

Your DVR device has what IP address?  A private non routable address like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x? or 172.16.x.x?

If you go to a site via your computer like say www.speedtest.net - that site will show you what your "external" routable address is - that is issued to your RG by AT&T.

That External or routable address is a real address accessible from the internet.  Any of those "non-routable" addresses are not recognized by internet routers, hence that traffic will be dropped.  Hence those addresses are only usable on your private LAN behind equipment provided to you by an internet provider.

That said ... you will need to put forwarding rules or the such into your RG in order to help forward or translate inbound requests from the internet to the correct private host in your network (your DVR).

I hope this helps.

Re: Port Forwarding on 2Wire 3800HGV-B

2 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 7:33:37 AM
(0)
Master

You may want to ensure that when you set port forwarding in the RG that you use the correct protocol, TCP or UDP or both. You may also need a "range" of ports forwarded instead of just one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

You may want to ensure that when you set port forwarding in the RG that you use the correct protocol, TCP or UDP or both. You may also need a "range" of ports forwarded instead of just one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

neon_sign.jpg

3 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 10:33:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

bsdsmb wrote:

I hope this helps.

Thanks for response guys....

DVR IP Address : 108.xx.xxx.xxxx    

Router Info:

Current Internet Connection 
IP Address99.yy.xxx.xxx   (I am able to ping to this IP remotely)
Subnet Mask255.xxx.xxx.0
Default Gateway99.yy.xxx.x
Primary DNS68.zz.xx6.x
Secondary DNS68.zz.xx7.x

Public Networks

User Defined Supplemental Networks
StatusEnabled
Router Address108.xx.xxx.xxx          (not able to ping to this IP remotely)
Subnet Mask255.xxx.xxx.xxx

I leased static IP from AT&T, so once I got that 3800HGV-B router from ATT, they helped me add additional network (supplementary network as written in Router) with the provided static ip. Then they told me that I can have at least 5 different devices each with different static IP.

But using the same 108:xx.xxx.xxx IP I am able to get access to DVR within the local network but not remotely. Unfortunately I was able to do this earlier without even having static IP and the reason I leased it was to be able to have remote access.

Hope this would help you guys understand the problem clearly. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

bsdsmb wrote:

I hope this helps.

Thanks for response guys....

DVR IP Address : 108.xx.xxx.xxxx    

Router Info:

Current Internet Connection 
IP Address99.yy.xxx.xxx   (I am able to ping to this IP remotely)
Subnet Mask255.xxx.xxx.0
Default Gateway99.yy.xxx.x
Primary DNS68.zz.xx6.x
Secondary DNS68.zz.xx7.x

Public Networks

User Defined Supplemental Networks
StatusEnabled
Router Address108.xx.xxx.xxx          (not able to ping to this IP remotely)
Subnet Mask255.xxx.xxx.xxx

I leased static IP from AT&T, so once I got that 3800HGV-B router from ATT, they helped me add additional network (supplementary network as written in Router) with the provided static ip. Then they told me that I can have at least 5 different devices each with different static IP.

But using the same 108:xx.xxx.xxx IP I am able to get access to DVR within the local network but not remotely. Unfortunately I was able to do this earlier without even having static IP and the reason I leased it was to be able to have remote access.

Hope this would help you guys understand the problem clearly. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

4 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 10:36:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

Computer-Joe wrote:

I tried using both TCP and UDP both separately and together. And I also used range instead of just one but I am not quite sure if I did it correctly.

thanks

Computer-Joe wrote:

I tried using both TCP and UDP both separately and together. And I also used range instead of just one but I am not quite sure if I did it correctly.

thanks

5 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 10:52:22 AM
(0)
Master

Are you talking about the UVERSE DVR or a third party DVR?

A static IP (or block of IPs) from AT&T is not required if your only exposing the one device (DVR) as the IP assigned to the RGs, although considered dynamic will seldom if ever change, unlike DSL.

You might try this. Set all your local IPs back to DHCP, let the RG assign addresses, and then try putting the DVR in the DMZ on the RG. Then try accessing the DVR remotely by typing in your browser HTTP://99.yy.xxx.xxx:8000

This might seem like a dumb question but have you read the documentation on the DVR? Does it state what ports and protocols should be used? If you give us the DVR make and model someone here could probably help you better.

A static IP (or block of IPs) from AT&T is not required if your only exposing the one device (DVR) as the IP assigned to the RGs, although considered dynamic will seldom if ever change, unlike DSL.

You might try this. Set all your local IPs back to DHCP, let the RG assign addresses, and then try putting the DVR in the DMZ on the RG. Then try accessing the DVR remotely by typing in your browser HTTP://99.yy.xxx.xxx:8000

This might seem like a dumb question but have you read the documentation on the DVR? Does it state what ports and protocols should be used? If you give us the DVR make and model someone here could probably help you better.

neon_sign.jpg

6 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 11:44:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Computer-Joe wrote:

This is a third party DVR ( where surveillance cameras are attached). Link to the documentation is http://www.supercircuits.com/Uploaded/products/resources/634074415593593750_DMR41-42DVD%20Manual.pdf

and

http://www.surveillance-download.com/user/CMS.pdf

I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean by saying "try to put DVR in DMZ on the RG".

Thanks

Computer-Joe wrote:

This is a third party DVR ( where surveillance cameras are attached). Link to the documentation is http://www.supercircuits.com/Uploaded/products/resources/634074415593593750_DMR41-42DVD%20Manual.pdf

and

I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean by saying "try to put DVR in DMZ on the RG".

Thanks

7 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 11:55:23 AM
(0)
Expert

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_3_1

Firewall link, DMZ.

touchworks wrote:

and

Thanks

Firewall link, DMZ.

touchworks wrote:

and

Thanks

8 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 12:12:55 PM
(0)
Master

thanks SPD

thanks SPD

neon_sign.jpg

9 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 12:18:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

spd2demun wrote:

Firewall link, DMZ.

Does this mean you can set only one device at a time to DMZ Plus mode? 

I had tried this one too, but I believe the device (i.e. the DVR was not in DHCP mode at that time), because  I had already assigned static IP to the device. Will that make a difference? I also created custom user defined application but not sure if I did it right, specifically with "port range" and "map to host port".

The device(DVR) manual says I can have remote access using static IP (as one of the method). 

Thanks

spd2demun wrote:

Firewall link, DMZ.

Does this mean you can set only one device at a time to DMZ Plus mode? 

I had tried this one too, but I believe the device (i.e. the DVR was not in DHCP mode at that time), because  I had already assigned static IP to the device. Will that make a difference? I also created custom user defined application but not sure if I did it right, specifically with "port range" and "map to host port".

The device(DVR) manual says I can have remote access using static IP (as one of the method). 

Thanks

10 of 20 (10,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 12:19:17 PM
(0)
Master

touchworks wrote:

and

Thanks

The RG is the UVERSE provided router/gateway. When you put an internal (LAN) device in the DMZ on the RG it essentially allows it to exist side by side with the RG on the internet so you would address it using the RG's public address and the DVR's private port number. Not positive but I think the device (DVR) has to be set to DHCP for this function in the RG to operate correctly.

touchworks wrote:

and

Thanks

The RG is the UVERSE provided router/gateway. When you put an internal (LAN) device in the DMZ on the RG it essentially allows it to exist side by side with the RG on the internet so you would address it using the RG's public address and the DVR's private port number. Not positive but I think the device (DVR) has to be set to DHCP for this function in the RG to operate correctly.

neon_sign.jpg

11 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 1:01:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

Guys - there are so many things going on here at once, it is very difficult to tell precicely where the issue is.

My suggestion would be to pick one of two proposed solutions, and see if you can get it to work.

As Computer-Joe pointed out, if you only have one device you are trying to make accessible to the outside, then you have three fairly straight forward routes to doing it.

1) Set up port forwarding rules that forward all the ports requested in the DVR's instructions.

2) Go through the instructions provided in SP's link above to put the DVR into DMZ+ mode.

Either of these two steps "should" get that DVR accessible from the outside - with no added requirement of extra spending.  I say should - because there have been some cases where these devices try to use a specific port range or set of ports that the Uverse IPTV or VOIP products use - in which case the RG will not pass those ports to the 3rd party DVR device in the background.  In some cases, you migth be able to cause your security camera system to use other ports - but that will depend entirely on your security camera system.

3)  You can get a static public address (which it sounds like you did) and put your security DVR on that address.

From your post, it appears you are well on your way toward this #3 solution.  What I would do - were I in your situation, is I would configure a computer on that 108.xxx.xxx.xxx address first, and see if you can ping it from the outside - to take the specific Security Camera device out of the equation.  Once you get it working right where you know you have things working, then you can redo your setup - but putting the actual security camera DVR in place.

That would be my suggested path.  As ... A lot of appliances won't respond to PINGs or have built in firewalls, or sometimes just ... are finicky.  I think anyone could chase their tail for a long time not knowing where the thing is breaking down - so I suggest carefully going through the setup with known-functional things first.

Your description above of your secondary network settings look right - so I would think it should just work.  Which seems to me to imply there is a bit more to getting that security camera DVR's IP address assigned and happy.

My recollection of the process is that the 2wire RG wants to assign the units IP address to it via DHCP and will require a reboot of the camera device after said assignment.  If you don't follow those instructions closely - things just won't work right.

Guys - there are so many things going on here at once, it is very difficult to tell precicely where the issue is.

My suggestion would be to pick one of two proposed solutions, and see if you can get it to work.

As Computer-Joe pointed out, if you only have one device you are trying to make accessible to the outside, then you have three fairly straight forward routes to doing it.

1) Set up port forwarding rules that forward all the ports requested in the DVR's instructions.

2) Go through the instructions provided in SP's link above to put the DVR into DMZ+ mode.

Either of these two steps "should" get that DVR accessible from the outside - with no added requirement of extra spending.  I say should - because there have been some cases where these devices try to use a specific port range or set of ports that the Uverse IPTV or VOIP products use - in which case the RG will not pass those ports to the 3rd party DVR device in the background.  In some cases, you migth be able to cause your security camera system to use other ports - but that will depend entirely on your security camera system.

3)  You can get a static public address (which it sounds like you did) and put your security DVR on that address.

From your post, it appears you are well on your way toward this #3 solution.  What I would do - were I in your situation, is I would configure a computer on that 108.xxx.xxx.xxx address first, and see if you can ping it from the outside - to take the specific Security Camera device out of the equation.  Once you get it working right where you know you have things working, then you can redo your setup - but putting the actual security camera DVR in place.

That would be my suggested path.  As ... A lot of appliances won't respond to PINGs or have built in firewalls, or sometimes just ... are finicky.  I think anyone could chase their tail for a long time not knowing where the thing is breaking down - so I suggest carefully going through the setup with known-functional things first.

Your description above of your secondary network settings look right - so I would think it should just work.  Which seems to me to imply there is a bit more to getting that security camera DVR's IP address assigned and happy.

My recollection of the process is that the 2wire RG wants to assign the units IP address to it via DHCP and will require a reboot of the camera device after said assignment.  If you don't follow those instructions closely - things just won't work right.

12 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 1:07:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Great !!!!! Finally Worked!!!!!

Thanks "bsdsmb", "Computer-Joe" and "spd2demun". Thanks to you all.

What I did...

Assigned the static IP to DVR as before. Used port #8000

And then as you guys suggested, configured DVR in DHCP mode.

Then from RG configured DVR in DMZ Plus mode.

Thats it.

Now I am using the same static IP remotely to access the DVR.

Thanks guys!!!

Thanks "bsdmb" for your last reply as well, you guys were really providing your time to read such long posts of mine and then replying with equally detailed posts. 

@bsdmb: Just curious, if I am not using Static IP (# 3) , which IP will I have to use from external network to access my DVR. Will the internally allocated IP by RG be visible to outside world (referred to solution #1 and #2)?

Update: All your posts are solutions in a way, so can't just accept one as solution.

Great !!!!! Finally Worked!!!!!

Thanks "bsdsmb", "Computer-Joe" and "spd2demun". Thanks to you all.

What I did...

Assigned the static IP to DVR as before. Used port #8000

And then as you guys suggested, configured DVR in DHCP mode.

Then from RG configured DVR in DMZ Plus mode.

Thats it.

Now I am using the same static IP remotely to access the DVR.

Thanks guys!!!

Thanks "bsdmb" for your last reply as well, you guys were really providing your time to read such long posts of mine and then replying with equally detailed posts. 

@bsdmb: Just curious, if I am not using Static IP (# 3) , which IP will I have to use from external network to access my DVR. Will the internally allocated IP by RG be visible to outside world (referred to solution #1 and #2)?

Update: All your posts are solutions in a way, so can't just accept one as solution.

13 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 6:33:21 PM
(0)
Expert

bsdsmb & ComputerJoe deserve all the credit on this one. :smileyhappy:  Great they got you up and running.

You can give them kudos by clicking the star icon under their avatars, on all their posts if you wish.

And you can mark your own post as the solution since you mentioned the guys there and what you did to resolve it.

bsdsmb & ComputerJoe deserve all the credit on this one. :smileyhappy:  Great they got you up and running.

You can give them kudos by clicking the star icon under their avatars, on all their posts if you wish.

And you can mark your own post as the solution since you mentioned the guys there and what you did to resolve it.

14 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 7:17:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

Re the IP address accessible from the outside ... You can find the public address issued to your RG by browsing to the RG's control interface (http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0) and click the "Broadband" icon.  It will be listed at the top of the table as "IP Address".

A little background -

AT&T allocates one routable address to each customer - unless obviously you purchase an additional block of addresses for additional monthly fee.  So your RG gets assigned that address.  If you purchased a routable block - then the additional block is routed to your RG's assigned address - and that is why you must go into your RG and essentially have it point / assign each additional routed address to a host's mac address on the inside of your network.  It will assign that IP address based upon mac addresses as you direct it to via configuring it.

Back to that single IP address that is issued to your RG.  On Unverse, the IP addresses are assigned dynamically, though they really are quasi static .  AT&T does not usually move them around. 

When any computers inside your network make requests to/from the internet, your RG will use Network Address Translation (NAT) to forward those requests out, rewriting the headers to look on the internet as though the request came from the external IP address assigned to the RG.

In the case you have your own 3rd party router, or you put a computer (or a security camera DVR device) into the DMZ+ mode, then the RG will sit on the assigned IP address.  It will still use NAT for any hosts it is serving (IPTV devices, itself, other computers) but it will also then assign its external IP address to the single device you configured into the DMZ+.  Hence that device in the DMZ plus thinks it has that public IP address.  But the router is sitting in an invisible bridged mode (bump in the wire) in front of the device you placed in DMZ+.

However, here is where one important quirk is ... since the RG is still sending out its own requests for itself and other devices NOT in the DMZ+ mode ... you will occassionally run into quirks.  Like there is some port typically used for SIP voice traffic - that I believe the RG will not forward through to the device placed in DMZ+.  So frequently trying to put say a SIP gateway into DMZ+ might not meet with the expected results.  Since I would assume the RG is using those typical SIP ports to provide the UVoice service to itself.  Having only one IP address - only one guy gets a specific port.

I hope this answers your question and is helpful.

Re the IP address accessible from the outside ... You can find the public address issued to your RG by browsing to the RG's control interface (http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0) and click the "Broadband" icon.  It will be listed at the top of the table as "IP Address".

A little background -

AT&T allocates one routable address to each customer - unless obviously you purchase an additional block of addresses for additional monthly fee.  So your RG gets assigned that address.  If you purchased a routable block - then the additional block is routed to your RG's assigned address - and that is why you must go into your RG and essentially have it point / assign each additional routed address to a host's mac address on the inside of your network.  It will assign that IP address based upon mac addresses as you direct it to via configuring it.

Back to that single IP address that is issued to your RG.  On Unverse, the IP addresses are assigned dynamically, though they really are quasi static .  AT&T does not usually move them around. 

When any computers inside your network make requests to/from the internet, your RG will use Network Address Translation (NAT) to forward those requests out, rewriting the headers to look on the internet as though the request came from the external IP address assigned to the RG.

In the case you have your own 3rd party router, or you put a computer (or a security camera DVR device) into the DMZ+ mode, then the RG will sit on the assigned IP address.  It will still use NAT for any hosts it is serving (IPTV devices, itself, other computers) but it will also then assign its external IP address to the single device you configured into the DMZ+.  Hence that device in the DMZ plus thinks it has that public IP address.  But the router is sitting in an invisible bridged mode (bump in the wire) in front of the device you placed in DMZ+.

However, here is where one important quirk is ... since the RG is still sending out its own requests for itself and other devices NOT in the DMZ+ mode ... you will occassionally run into quirks.  Like there is some port typically used for SIP voice traffic - that I believe the RG will not forward through to the device placed in DMZ+.  So frequently trying to put say a SIP gateway into DMZ+ might not meet with the expected results.  Since I would assume the RG is using those typical SIP ports to provide the UVoice service to itself.  Having only one IP address - only one guy gets a specific port.

15 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 8:56:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

So basically in that situation I use the same external IP provided usually by ATT along with the port number to access the device, provided the device is set into DMZ+ mode. In this case no static IP needed, right?

So basically in that situation I use the same external IP provided usually by ATT along with the port number to access the device, provided the device is set into DMZ+ mode. In this case no static IP needed, right?

16 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 5:16:50 AM
(0)
Master

bsdsmb wrote:

A little background -

Ya, what he said. :smileyvery-happy:

bsdsmb wrote:

A little background -

Ya, what he said. :smileyvery-happy:

neon_sign.jpg

17 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 5:18:35 AM
(0)
Master

touchworks wrote:

Correct.

touchworks wrote:

Correct.

neon_sign.jpg

18 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 1:35:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

I want to make sure we aren't talking past each other here.

To make it work (in theory) you should NOT need to purchase any additional IPs or pay for a "static" IP address.  Your security camera DVR placed in DMZ+ or merely with the necessary ports forwarded via configurations made in the RG - will appear to be sitting on that publicly routable IP address issued to your RG by AT&T. 

I sense some confusion around the meaning of a static IP address versus dynamic, and routable versus non routeable addresses.  All my discussion above is mostly focused on routable versus non-routable.  But as it relates to Dynamic versus Static, your customer IP address is allocated to your equipment in a Dynamic fashion (typical Uverse customer).

If you physically get a new RG - your IP will change.  AT&T could rearchitect or change some things on their network - causing them to issue different IP addresses - so your address could change.  However, to date, I am not aware of AT&T forcing the expiration or otherwise changing the IP addresses of Uverse customers.  So ... it behaves like a static address.

Some ISPs will change your IP address every 24 hours, or everytime your CPE device reboots or ...  but typically your IP address won't change on Uverse.

If your question is "could my IP address change, and if it changes how will I know where to access my home system while I"m on the road..." the answer is yes, it could just up and change one day.  You could use a service such as dynDNS to create a url that points to your IP address.  I don't recall whether the 2wire supports dynDNS updates, but many 3rd party (Linksys, Netgear, etc) routers do ... so if you have one of those running behind your RG - you could use those to keep a dynDNS entry fresh - again allowing you to only have a dynamic IP address.

Is that clear?

(PS - I see I probably created confusion in my prior post by listing item "3) Static Public Address", I probably should have said "routable public IP" address. But when they sell you additional IP addresses - those typically are "static" too.  Not much sense in selling additional routable "dynamic" addresses.  Sorry if I created any confusion.)

I want to make sure we aren't talking past each other here.

To make it work (in theory) you should NOT need to purchase any additional IPs or pay for a "static" IP address.  Your security camera DVR placed in DMZ+ or merely with the necessary ports forwarded via configurations made in the RG - will appear to be sitting on that publicly routable IP address issued to your RG by AT&T. 

I sense some confusion around the meaning of a static IP address versus dynamic, and routable versus non routeable addresses.  All my discussion above is mostly focused on routable versus non-routable.  But as it relates to Dynamic versus Static, your customer IP address is allocated to your equipment in a Dynamic fashion (typical Uverse customer).

If you physically get a new RG - your IP will change.  AT&T could rearchitect or change some things on their network - causing them to issue different IP addresses - so your address could change.  However, to date, I am not aware of AT&T forcing the expiration or otherwise changing the IP addresses of Uverse customers.  So ... it behaves like a static address.

Some ISPs will change your IP address every 24 hours, or everytime your CPE device reboots or ...  but typically your IP address won't change on Uverse.

If your question is "could my IP address change, and if it changes how will I know where to access my home system while I"m on the road..." the answer is yes, it could just up and change one day.  You could use a service such as dynDNS to create a url that points to your IP address.  I don't recall whether the 2wire supports dynDNS updates, but many 3rd party (Linksys, Netgear, etc) routers do ... so if you have one of those running behind your RG - you could use those to keep a dynDNS entry fresh - again allowing you to only have a dynamic IP address.

Is that clear?

(PS - I see I probably created confusion in my prior post by listing item "3) Static Public Address", I probably should have said "routable public IP" address. But when they sell you additional IP addresses - those typically are "static" too.  Not much sense in selling additional routable "dynamic" addresses.  Sorry if I created any confusion.)

19 of 20 (8,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 11:01:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

bsdsmb wrote:

..........above post 

Yes, I am understanding what you are trying to say. Before I came to this situation of getting static IP from ATT, I did look into the option of having it work by dynDNS service from third party websites. But as you said it did not work with ATT 2Wire router and I did not think of adding another router behind it. 

With the option of having DVR set in DMZ+ mode and then using the normal routable IP address provided by ATT, I think that might not be a good option in my case here where I have more than one user who has to access the DVR. I don't want to keep changing/informing them about the new IP each time it changes which might be random, if it changes, as you suggested.

So static IP is working great for me here.

Thanks again for all you suggestions, and I am happy to be part of the community, learnt some stuffs from you guys.

Thanks a lot!!!!

bsdsmb wrote:

..........above post 

Yes, I am understanding what you are trying to say. Before I came to this situation of getting static IP from ATT, I did look into the option of having it work by dynDNS service from third party websites. But as you said it did not work with ATT 2Wire router and I did not think of adding another router behind it. 

With the option of having DVR set in DMZ+ mode and then using the normal routable IP address provided by ATT, I think that might not be a good option in my case here where I have more than one user who has to access the DVR. I don't want to keep changing/informing them about the new IP each time it changes which might be random, if it changes, as you suggested.

So static IP is working great for me here.

Thanks again for all you suggestions, and I am happy to be part of the community, learnt some stuffs from you guys.

Thanks a lot!!!!

20 of 20 (8,919 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments