Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 21, 2009
6:04:48 AM
Pixelation & Stuttering During Live Progrmming

For the last couple weeks, I've noticed periods of horrible pixelation and stuttering, or freezing, while watching live broadcasts.  Last night, the problem was so bad that the audio got ahead of the video.  I unplugged the hdmi cable from the set and the tv, reset the dvr, and plugged everything back in.  While that seemed to fix the video lag, it did nothing for the pixelations and freezing problem.

Is anyone else experiencing the same or similar problems??

For the last couple weeks, I've noticed periods of horrible pixelation and stuttering, or freezing, while watching live broadcasts.  Last night, the problem was so bad that the audio got ahead of the video.  I unplugged the hdmi cable from the set and the tv, reset the dvr, and plugged everything back in.  While that seemed to fix the video lag, it did nothing for the pixelations and freezing problem.

Is anyone else experiencing the same or similar problems??

Pixelation & Stuttering During Live Progrmming

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 6:22:55 AM
(0)
Tutor
I am having similar problems.  I called tech support and they did something remotely which improved the situations but I still periodically have the issue.
I am having similar problems.  I called tech support and they did something remotely which improved the situations but I still periodically have the issue.

Re: Pixelation & Stuttering During Live Progrmming

2 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2009 6:40:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you're hooked up by coax, that could be the culprit, make sure everything is tight, they do get loose

over time.  If your line feeding the RG is coax, that could be bad.  Do you have a splitter?  It should

be 1.5Ghz or 1500Mhz, if 1Ghz, it's bad.  All these things can cause pixelization or freezing (which are

your stutters). :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

If you're hooked up by coax, that could be the culprit, make sure everything is tight, they do get loose

over time.  If your line feeding the RG is coax, that could be bad.  Do you have a splitter?  It should

be 1.5Ghz or 1500Mhz, if 1Ghz, it's bad.  All these things can cause pixelization or freezing (which are

your stutters). :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2009 3:38:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

I was getting this issue with the receiver freezing....but before it froze up and I had to reboot the DVR/Receiver, I would get this pixelation and stuttering like you described. 

I went to this website and clicked on CHAT with an eAgent/Tech.   They recommended that I reboot the RG at least twice per week and they worked to clear the line of congestion and other barriers.   It really helped.   Never freezes up anymore.  You have to stick with it since you are in a queue, but once they come on it works great.  Try it.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401983

Message Edited by uvuser on 09-30-2009 03:40 PM

I was getting this issue with the receiver freezing....but before it froze up and I had to reboot the DVR/Receiver, I would get this pixelation and stuttering like you described. 

I went to this website and clicked on CHAT with an eAgent/Tech.   They recommended that I reboot the RG at least twice per week and they worked to clear the line of congestion and other barriers.   It really helped.   Never freezes up anymore.  You have to stick with it since you are in a queue, but once they come on it works great.  Try it.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401983

Message Edited by uvuser on 09-30-2009 03:40 PM

4 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2009 5:01:09 PM
(0)
Teacher
Repair is coming out this Saturday to take a look at things.  I've done what I can from my end...
Repair is coming out this Saturday to take a look at things.  I've done what I can from my end...

5 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2009 2:23:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes, this seems to be getting worse and worse  for me.  I just had my wireless internet stop working too.  After a few hours of thinking it was my computer; I restarted the RG and the wireless is working just fine again.

Hopefully it will help with the DVR as well.  We'll see.  Let me know if you figured anything out for yours.

Yes, this seems to be getting worse and worse  for me.  I just had my wireless internet stop working too.  After a few hours of thinking it was my computer; I restarted the RG and the wireless is working just fine again.

Hopefully it will help with the DVR as well.  We'll see.  Let me know if you figured anything out for yours.

6 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2009 5:56:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

I too have been seeing this issue for the last few weeks, so bad recently that every 2-3 minutes the video would freeze/pixelate/etc... and the audio kept going.  Live or recorded shows have been doing this for approx 3 weeks now.  We just had a complete service outtage yesterday afternoon, Phone/Internet/TV, for about 6 hours.  I restarted all the boxes and router after service was restored but I only checked the phone for a dial tone as it was 10:30p and I needed some sleep.  I'm hopeful that the system failure fix will also address this issue.

Message Edited by slideaway on 10-02-2009 07:57 AM

I too have been seeing this issue for the last few weeks, so bad recently that every 2-3 minutes the video would freeze/pixelate/etc... and the audio kept going.  Live or recorded shows have been doing this for approx 3 weeks now.  We just had a complete service outtage yesterday afternoon, Phone/Internet/TV, for about 6 hours.  I restarted all the boxes and router after service was restored but I only checked the phone for a dial tone as it was 10:30p and I needed some sleep.  I'm hopeful that the system failure fix will also address this issue.

Message Edited by slideaway on 10-02-2009 07:57 AM

7 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2009 5:51:20 PM
(0)
Guru
Instead of Coax, utilize Cat5 wiring to house, install cat5 house to RGW, and from RGW to STB/DVR. Should solve the problem. Reseting DVR's is so Comcast like!
Message Edited by antman on 10-05-2009 08:52 PM
Instead of Coax, utilize Cat5 wiring to house, install cat5 house to RGW, and from RGW to STB/DVR. Should solve the problem. Reseting DVR's is so Comcast like!
Message Edited by antman on 10-05-2009 08:52 PM

8 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2009 5:18:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

Well, AT&T dispatched a tech person, to arrive between 8a-12noon, last Saturday.  When he arrived at 12:35, he asked me what the problem was and he then proceeded to remove all the wall plates and swap out the "metal connectors" behind them.  He then ran a diagnostic check on the line and it was error free.  He told me that should take care of the problem and he left.

I didn't feel very convinced that he knew what he was doing, but I haven't had a problem since.  So much for second guessing someone smarter than me!!  :smileyhappy:

Well, AT&T dispatched a tech person, to arrive between 8a-12noon, last Saturday.  When he arrived at 12:35, he asked me what the problem was and he then proceeded to remove all the wall plates and swap out the "metal connectors" behind them.  He then ran a diagnostic check on the line and it was error free.  He told me that should take care of the problem and he left.

I didn't feel very convinced that he knew what he was doing, but I haven't had a problem since.  So much for second guessing someone smarter than me!!  :smileyhappy:

9 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2009 5:41:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Hope your issue is resolved.
Hope your issue is resolved.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 12 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2009 5:55:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Me, too!!  If it comes back, I'll know that only part of the problem was diagnosed/addressed/fixed.

For now, I'm happy again (and by that, I mean that the wife is happy, so I am happy!  :smileywink:)

Me, too!!  If it comes back, I'll know that only part of the problem was diagnosed/addressed/fixed.

For now, I'm happy again (and by that, I mean that the wife is happy, so I am happy!  :smileywink:)

11 of 12 (340 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2009 9:01:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

indianafanatic wrote:

Looks like your installer was a bit lazy, he should have taken off the wall plates and replaced the

crimped connectors w/compressed connectors.  Yes a little thing like that will cause problems in

a coax install.  If he cut a corner there, probably cut a corner somewhere else, but hopefully you

won't have any more problems.  Most of the techs do know what they are doing and you should

have not doubted him as he did find the problem. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

indianafanatic wrote:

Looks like your installer was a bit lazy, he should have taken off the wall plates and replaced the

crimped connectors w/compressed connectors.  Yes a little thing like that will cause problems in

a coax install.  If he cut a corner there, probably cut a corner somewhere else, but hopefully you

won't have any more problems.  Most of the techs do know what they are doing and you should

have not doubted him as he did find the problem. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

12 of 12 (340 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments