Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 19, 2011
10:27:58 PM
Phase 3 update on Xbox 360

I just got the phase 3 update on the Xbox 360 and I noticed a few differences from before.

-New "rethink possible" & blue "at&t U-verse" splash screens, with a swirling loading indicator in the lower right corner

-Apparently the new at&t app will not start if it is not logged into a Xbox Live account. Before you only needed an Xbox Live account to install the app.

- New "Recording Space" feature (in the Recordings catagory), that gives you a visual bar graph of the recording space left plus a numerical estimate of how many hours of SD and HD recording space is remaining. No more going into "system options" to get this information.

-The manipulation of Live TV is "unavailable", perhaps the DVR needs to get an update to complete the process. It does work on channels that are already recording.

-The application still takes time to update the database with your recordings, you still need to wait for the update to complete before attempting to set or watch a recording, otherwise the app may lockup.

I just got the phase 3 update on the Xbox 360 and I noticed a few differences from before.

-New "rethink possible" & blue "at&t U-verse" splash screens, with a swirling loading indicator in the lower right corner

-Apparently the new at&t app will not start if it is not logged into a Xbox Live account. Before you only needed an Xbox Live account to install the app.

- New "Recording Space" feature (in the Recordings catagory), that gives you a visual bar graph of the recording space left plus a numerical estimate of how many hours of SD and HD recording space is remaining. No more going into "system options" to get this information.

-The manipulation of Live TV is "unavailable", perhaps the DVR needs to get an update to complete the process. It does work on channels that are already recording.

-The application still takes time to update the database with your recordings, you still need to wait for the update to complete before attempting to set or watch a recording, otherwise the app may lockup.

Phase 3 update on Xbox 360

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2011 10:31:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
I checked, and my DVR is still on version 1.6 while my Xbox is on 2.0. I am sure once my DVR updates I will be able to manipulate live TV easily on the Xbox...
I checked, and my DVR is still on version 1.6 while my Xbox is on 2.0. I am sure once my DVR updates I will be able to manipulate live TV easily on the Xbox...

Re: Phase 3 update on Xbox 360

2 of 21 (691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 5:13:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I also noticed that the skip foward button went from skipping a paltry 7 seconds to a non-existant 0.5 seconds for the Xbox only.
-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
I also noticed that the skip foward button went from skipping a paltry 7 seconds to a non-existant 0.5 seconds for the Xbox only.
-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 21 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2011 9:34:58 PM
(0)
Scholar
As long as I have been on U-verse that 30 second skip button has never worked as advertised. Other forum members were stating that was by design, but I always attributed it to a programing glitch. In light of this new update, I believe this shows I am right.
As long as I have been on U-verse that 30 second skip button has never worked as advertised. Other forum members were stating that was by design, but I always attributed it to a programing glitch. In light of this new update, I believe this shows I am right.

4 of 21 (611 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 6:12:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

It's disappointing to hear the skip feature is even worse than before on the Xbox since that's what we use on our main television. 

It's disappointing to hear the skip feature is even worse than before on the Xbox since that's what we use on our main television. 

5 of 21 (602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 3:32:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
do you have to do anything to get the update? like restart the application? or just leave it on overnight? seems alot of people in ATL have gotten the update but i have not. just curious what you did to get the update.
do you have to do anything to get the update? like restart the application? or just leave it on overnight? seems alot of people in ATL have gotten the update but i have not. just curious what you did to get the update.

6 of 21 (568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 5:38:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
I also just got the phase 3 update on our 360s.
After rebooting the dvr I was able to pause live tv from the 360
That is great!!!

I do have one big concern.
As Logical_Dolphin said you now have to log in to Xbox live for the Uverse app to start.
Question is if Xbox live goes down then how do you watch Uverse.
This seems to have the possibility to be a large problem.
That is great!!!

As Logical_Dolphin said you now have to log in to Xbox live for the Uverse app to start.

7 of 21 (557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 8:25:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

ereet wrote:

If the update is in your area, the application will prompt you to update as soon as you turn on your Xbox. The first time my Xbox updated to the new app, it happened spontanously about 12:30 AM last Monday.

I am also in the ATL...

ereet wrote:

If the update is in your area, the application will prompt you to update as soon as you turn on your Xbox. The first time my Xbox updated to the new app, it happened spontanously about 12:30 AM last Monday.

I am also in the ATL...

8 of 21 (547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 8:28:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

Tidefan wrote:
That is great!!!

I'm not sure if you have to be logged into Xbox Live for the app to work, but you do need to have your Xbox Live profile active on your Xbox for the application to launch. Before you could launch the U-verse application without needing to have any Xbox Live profile active...

Tidefan wrote:
That is great!!!

I'm not sure if you have to be logged into Xbox Live for the app to work, but you do need to have your Xbox Live profile active on your Xbox for the application to launch. Before you could launch the U-verse application without needing to have any Xbox Live profile active...

9 of 21 (546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 2:30:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
When I select an Xbox live profile it logs that profile in before starting the App. If I hit cancel instead of one of the profiles it closes the App and says Xbox live is required. Guess we will know for sure next time live is down
When I select an Xbox live profile it logs that profile in before starting the App. If I hit cancel instead of one of the profiles it closes the App and says Xbox live is required. Guess we will know for sure next time live is down

10 of 21 (529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 6:37:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
You can be disconnected from Xbox Live and still have the TV running. I just tried it out by disconnecting my xbox from the internetafter I had the TV running. Live disconnected but UVerse kept going after I reconnected the cable and changed the channel.
-------

You can be disconnected from Xbox Live and still have the TV running. I just tried it out by disconnecting my xbox from the internetafter I had the TV running. Live disconnected but UVerse kept going after I reconnected the cable and changed the channel.
-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 21 (458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 7:12:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

americangame wrote:

So it appears that you only have to be signed in to live during the start up.  Still seems like it could be an issue of not being able to watch Uverse if Live is down.  Can't see why that had to change or why Uverse would let something like that out of their control determine if the App will start or not.

americangame wrote:

So it appears that you only have to be signed in to live during the start up.  Still seems like it could be an issue of not being able to watch Uverse if Live is down.  Can't see why that had to change or why Uverse would let something like that out of their control determine if the App will start or not.

12 of 21 (455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 5:53:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

Tidefan wrote:

americangame wrote:

I tried pressing the Xbox button so I could logoff of XBL while in the Uverse application. When I did this I get a message that the Uverse application will shutdown.

Tidefan wrote:

americangame wrote:

I tried pressing the Xbox button so I could logoff of XBL while in the Uverse application. When I did this I get a message that the Uverse application will shutdown.

13 of 21 (434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 8:13:20 PM
(0)
Scholar
at&t employee tnxroger, tells me that the Xbox Live login requirement is an additional security measure instituted by Microsoft.
at&t employee tnxroger, tells me that the Xbox Live login requirement is an additional security measure instituted by Microsoft.

14 of 21 (384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 4:07:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

so if the internet is down (microsoft null route) we can't watch tv? that would be a fatal mistake.

so if the internet is down (microsoft null route) we can't watch tv? that would be a fatal mistake.

15 of 21 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 8:18:55 AM
(0)
Expert

If your U-verse internet is down, mostly like all or your U-verse services would be down also.  Thus, trying to watch TV while the internet is down would be a moot point.

I have had U-verse for over 2 years, during that time I have never had an internet outage due to an AT&T network issue.  There was one nationwide outage of U-verse voice about one year ago which lasted a few hours.  Also, in the Dallas market, there was a TV outage last year due to a problem at the local VHO that lasted for a few hours.

Other than those outages, my RG got fried during a thunderstorm last year, and I was without any service for a day until the RG was replaced.  I have also experienced a few power outages at my home since I have had U-verse, thus there was no electricity to watch TV.

If your U-verse internet is down, mostly like all or your U-verse services would be down also.  Thus, trying to watch TV while the internet is down would be a moot point.

I have had U-verse for over 2 years, during that time I have never had an internet outage due to an AT&T network issue.  There was one nationwide outage of U-verse voice about one year ago which lasted a few hours.  Also, in the Dallas market, there was a TV outage last year due to a problem at the local VHO that lasted for a few hours.

Other than those outages, my RG got fried during a thunderstorm last year, and I was without any service for a day until the RG was replaced.  I have also experienced a few power outages at my home since I have had U-verse, thus there was no electricity to watch TV.

16 of 21 (362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 9:19:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

texasguy37 wrote:

I agree that if the internet is down the TV is probably also down.  But what about if Xbox live is down.  I mean just look at Sony's Playstation network.  It was down for weeks.  What if live was to be down that long.  It wasn't this way before the update.  You only had to sign in to live when the Uverse app was installed.  All but one of my receivers (the dvr) is an xbox so this could be a major problem for me in the future.

texasguy37 wrote:

I agree that if the internet is down the TV is probably also down.  But what about if Xbox live is down.  I mean just look at Sony's Playstation network.  It was down for weeks.  What if live was to be down that long.  It wasn't this way before the update.  You only had to sign in to live when the Uverse app was installed.  All but one of my receivers (the dvr) is an xbox so this could be a major problem for me in the future.

17 of 21 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 9:25:26 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:25:54 AM

Are there instances where the XBox Live website has been down for several hours?

Are there instances where the XBox Live website has been down for several hours?

[ Edited ]
18 of 21 (355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 9:54:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

texasguy37 wrote:

Yes. Occasionally Microsoft shuts Xbox Live down for several hours for periodic maintenence, but I think they try to time it so it has the least impact on it users...

texasguy37 wrote:

Yes. Occasionally Microsoft shuts Xbox Live down for several hours for periodic maintenence, but I think they try to time it so it has the least impact on it users...

19 of 21 (351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 9:57:24 AM
(0)
Expert

OK.  Well, I guess the TV connected to the U-verse DVR will be available, if needed.

OK.  Well, I guess the TV connected to the U-verse DVR will be available, if needed.

20 of 21 (349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 10:43:59 AM
(0)
Scholar
The only workaround I can think of is if you know when scheduled mainentence is going to take place. Start the Uverse Xbox app beforehand and keep it on. Apparently if your connection to Xbox lives drops while watching TV that won't effect anything, but logging out will...
The only workaround I can think of is if you know when scheduled mainentence is going to take place. Start the Uverse Xbox app beforehand and keep it on. Apparently if your connection to Xbox lives drops while watching TV that won't effect anything, but logging out will...

21 of 21 (280 Views)