Ask a question

Posted Feb 4, 2009
    8:48:27 AM
    View profile
    Phase 2 complete?

I recently ordered Uverse, but canceled when I learned you could not pause or record live TV from any STB besides the main DVR. That was a deal killer for me, and these forums taught me that that functionality will be available in "Phase 2 or 3" of the THDVR.  My parents were going to get it as well, but did not when I told them about this lack of features we have grown accustomed to with DirecTV.

However, my parents just went to an AT&T store and ordered Uverse because the sales person told them Phase 2 was complete and they COULD record and pause live TV from any STB in the house.

I have found no thread anywhere to confirm this and I think they were told false information from a greedy sales person.  Can anyone confirm if this functionality now exists?  Thanks!

Phase 2 complete?

17 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (17)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 4, 2009 9:58:49 AM
    (0)
    Mentor
    So far not that I'm aware of.  Most RUMERS are that it could be this month.  The only thing that I do know is that this board will be buzzing when it does happen!

Re: Phase 2 complete?

2 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 4, 2009 10:37:24 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    I can confim that I had to reboot my STB last night and there was no change to the DVR features......

3 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 4, 2009 11:20:46 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Gotta love those sales people - they will say anything to get a sale :smileymad:

4 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 4, 2009 11:35:25 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

By the same token, many are reporting their STB's rebooting spontaneously this morning elsewhere on this Board.  http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&thread.id=16739

Unless there's some massive problem, might this not signify that an update has been pushed out, and maybe, just maybe, it's the long looked for Phase ll THDVR update....:smileysurprised:

Message Edited by Shyster951 on 02-04-2009 11:38 AM

5 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 4, 2009 11:40:15 AM
    (0)
    Guru

I'm thinking it could be more about Weather On Demand. My stb a few weeks ago rebooted by itself when I got Weather On Demand. They want to push WOD, out by the end of Feburary so I'm thinking a lot more people are getting that right now.

Trust me once phase two is complete you will see lots of posts about it. 

6 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 4, 2009 3:16:50 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Sportsman wrote:

I'm thinking it could be more about Weather On Demand. My stb a few weeks ago rebooted by itself when I got Weather On Demand. They want to push WOD, out by the end of Feburary so I'm thinking a lot more people are getting that right now.

Trust me once phase two is complete you will see lots of posts about it. 

Must be WOD vs. THDRV phase ll, as none of my boxes have any visible changes, and the TV2 client version is still 1.6.5686.1 and, so far as I can tell, none of my boxes rebooted & we already have WOD here in the Atlanta area.

Message Edited by Shyster951 on 02-04-2009 03:17 PM
    Message Edited by Shyster951 on 02-04-2009 03:18 PM

7 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 5, 2009 5:51:15 AM
    (0)
    Mentor
    I was under the impression that phase 2 was to allow for the setting of recordings on any box and phase 3 was to pause and rewind live tv on any box??

8 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 5, 2009 5:58:32 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Trust me...if "Phase 2" had shown up anywhere/anytime, UV customers involved would be posting (within minutes) on every appropriate message board known to man .

Gotta love the internets......

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 5, 2009 3:19:22 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Steve wrote:
    I was under the impression that phase 2 was to allow for the setting of recordings on any box and phase 3 was to pause and rewind live tv on any box??

Your impression is correct.

Phase 2: All receivers in the home will have the ability to manage recordings. However, a recording which is currently being viewed cannot be deleted from any receiver except for the one that it is currently being viewed at.

Phase 3: All receivers in the home will have the ability to operate trick modes (pause, rewind) on live TV.

10 of 18 (722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 8, 2009 1:20:49 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    On the updates channel (1000) they put the Total Home DVR information back on the screen. They took that information down for a little bit. I wonder why they put it back up.
    Message Edited by sportsman on 02-08-2009 04:21 PM

11 of 18 (657 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 8, 2009 4:54:13 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

If phase two was complete. at&t would let everyone know on there website and on other media. I also have stayed with directv because of the lack of pause, rewind, live Tv in other rooms. also I want to be able to record from other rooms. I  wonder if there really is a phase two. I have never heard it from at&t only rumors on this forum.

12 of 18 (657 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 8, 2009 9:40:06 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

tony520 wrote:

If phase two was complete. at&t would let everyone know on there website and on other media. I also have stayed with directv because of the lack of pause, rewind, live Tv in other rooms. Also I want to be able to record from other rooms. I  wonder if there really is a phase two. I have never heard it from at&t only rumors on this forum.

I saw it mentioned in at least one interview of the guy in charge of the project in an online mag. He was discussing the THDVR and mentioned that phase 1 was playback from any STB, Phase 2 was adding remote programmability and Phase 3 was more DVR trick play features. I did not bookmark it so I don't have the link. There was no specific time frame other than early 2009 but this was early last year prior to phase 1 which was delayed.

Others have mentioned that they were told by AT&T reps of phase 2 and phase 3.

I saw another interesting interview where they acknowledge that they are certainly aware of a multitude of improvements that can be made as well as how they stack up against the competition. Their basic response is that they are improving the system in what they term a responsible manner to balance the cost of service and the return to the stockholders.

13 of 18 (657 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 9, 2009 12:48:02 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Interesting - I never even questioned it, nor have I tried it.  We play back shows all the time in the bedroom, but rarely pause live TV.  Honestly - it's just more evidence of how much it's lacking - like they just rushed and put a package together that worked instead of actually putting some thought into features and functionality.

14 of 18 (657 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 9, 2009 1:43:13 PM
    (0)
    Master

rbell219 wrote:

Interesting - I never even questioned it, nor have I tried it.  We play back shows all the time in the bedroom, but rarely pause live TV.  Honestly - it's just more evidence of how much it's lacking - like they just rushed and put a package together that worked instead of actually putting some thought into features and functionality.

u sure make it sound simple ??  after having uverse for 2 yrs upcoming july ..  i was tickled to death to get phase 1    imho

my slant

randy

15 of 18 (657 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 10, 2009 7:47:18 AM
    (0)
    Guru

It's the fact that Phase 2 is an easy step that should not have even been a Phase to begin with.

Getting the other boxes to view shared recordings is a big step...

Getting the other boxes to pause/RW/FF live TV is an even bigger step...

Getting the DVR to accept a button push from the other boxes when the programming is...

1. Already set up to accept commands from the remote boxes

2. Already set up to accept remote programming requests via the internet

This means only one thing to me... that AT&T is purposely delaying turning on a feature that is already there for some other reason which is "not" technical in nature!

Phase 2 is already done... why not turn this on AT&T? The only reason I can think of (and yes it's a bit far fetched) is that AT&T feels that by allowing us to more easily set recordings that we will stop paying extra for VOD.

As I have said before in other posts.... until VOD is in 100% HD it is a useless feature for me. I did not spend big bucks on new HD TV's in the house, then pay extra to AT&T for multiple boxes, HD access and all the movies channels just so I can watch downgraded SD versions of the HD movies I have already paid for. If Phase 2 was at least turned on then I could record the HD versions I want (and fill up the small hard drive but that is another issue LOL) but alas AT&T will not turn on Phase 2 because it wants to protect their shareholders?

So why do they not turn on Phase 2 now? Why did they not turn on Phase 2 months ago?

A shiny nickel for the best answer :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by jrb531 on 02-10-2009 07:49 AM

16 of 18 (657 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 10, 2009 12:27:02 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    I'm hoping the extra $2/Mo/STB ATT is charging beginning in Feburary is somehow tied to the Phase II rollout.

17 of 18 (657 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 10, 2009 1:35:56 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Simple you say...well it should be!  They had Cable, DirecTV, DishNetwork, and even Verizon leading the way.  All they had to do was look at those features and copy them. A little more time in R&D and most of the complaints would not be here.  Look...I'm fairly satisfied.  There are some bugs and some features lacking, but all in all it does what it has to.  I'm just saying that it could have been so much more complete from day one.
    Message Edited by rbell219 on 02-10-2009 01:36 PM

18 of 18 (657 Views)