Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

Tutor

Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

No one seems to be covering the following issues in depth.  The new guide features and DVR setting functions are nice, but in doing so, they introduced two major usability problems.

 

1.  The "stop" button is no longer a stop button.

 

Programs resume playing approximately two minutes after pressing the stop button.  In the previous release, "stop" meant stop.  It would switch to the screen saver after a minute or two, but it would stay stopped.  This is no longer the case, and it's truly bothersome.  If I press stop and leave to run a quick errand, I come home ten minutes later to a DVR that is playing.

 

2.  Closed captions are now intrusive and obscure the video.

 

One of the best features of U-verse was its advanced captioning--it used a sensible font and a translucent background that provided contrast, but did not distract from the video signal.  The new update has increased the font size and switched to an opaque, black background that dominates the screen and completely obscures the picture.

 

In addition to being distracting and consuming more than 10% of the display area, the new boxes also cause image persistence issues on plasma televisions because of their permanent, opaque, excessive contrast settings.

 

The box also no longer outputs CC data to allow the television to take over, which might allow those of us to use CC in a suitable way, with proper caption styling.  Those of us who don't hear well should not also have to give up SEEING the picture.  This is a sad throwback to 1990 technology.

 

Someone, I hope, will do something about these problems and release a fix in less than the year and a half it took to get the latest update.  These are stupid and easily fixed bugs.

346 Views
Message 1 of 33
Expert

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

Everyone has their own viewpoint.  AT&T could never do anything with programming or features that would not receive some criticism.
Message 16 of 33
Scholar

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs


mj09 wrote:

No one seems to be covering the following issues in depth.  The new guide features and DVR setting functions are nice, but in doing so, they introduced two major usability problems.

 

1.  The "stop" button is no longer a stop button.

 

Programs resume playing approximately two minutes after pressing the stop button.  In the previous release, "stop" meant stop.  It would switch to the screen saver after a minute or two, but it would stay stopped.  This is no longer the case, and it's truly bothersome.  If I press stop and leave to run a quick errand, I come home ten minutes later to a DVR that is playing.

 

2.  Closed captions are now intrusive and obscure the video.

 

One of the best features of U-verse was its advanced captioning--it used a sensible font and a translucent background that provided contrast, but did not distract from the video signal.  The new update has increased the font size and switched to an opaque, black background that dominates the screen and completely obscures the picture.

 

In addition to being distracting and consuming more than 10% of the display area, the new boxes also cause image persistence issues on plasma televisions because of their permanent, opaque, excessive contrast settings.

 

The box also no longer outputs CC data to allow the television to take over, which might allow those of us to use CC in a suitable way, with proper caption styling.  Those of us who don't hear well should not also have to give up SEEING the picture.  This is a sad throwback to 1990 technology.

 

Someone, I hope, will do something about these problems and release a fix in less than the year and a half it took to get the latest update.  These are stupid and easily fixed bugs.


Heya mj09,

 

While this is something major to you...might not be to AT&T and Microsoft for fixes...both will always be applying hotfixes as well for minor issues such as this

 

Just keep optimism in mind with U-verse...no one has EVER done IPTV in Residential Homes

Message 17 of 33
Professor

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

I used to be able to press the zoom button and have it switch between regular, stretch, zoom 1, zoom 2, zoom 3.  Now it's a menu.  I don't like that.  I want it menu-free.
Message 18 of 33
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

I just noticed that, that is different.  Seems like extra work, to first select the zoom, see it, and then select another one.  
Message 19 of 33
Teacher

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs


mj09 wrote:

 

The box also no longer outputs CC data to allow the television to take over, which might allow those of us to use CC in a suitable way, with proper caption styling.


I wonder if this has something to do with the connection type from the TV to the STB?

 

The reason I ask is because I have read posts where other people complain about this but after the Phase 2 update it didn't seem to change for me. We have an older TV in the master bedroom that has the ability to automatically switch to it's internal CC when the TV is muted (nice if someone is sleeping and someone else wants to watch TV). After the STB upgrade this function of the TV still works. However it is an older TV, there are no optional inputs of any kind, so it's connected to the STB through the RF modulator (coax out). Apparently the TV is still getting the CC information from that connection. I haven't tried testing CC on our other TV's but they are all connected with either HDMI or component and in that case I believe you could only use the CC generated by the STB.

 

Ken

 

Message 20 of 33
Scholar

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

#3 When on the Guide and just pressing channel# 1 the DVR resets itself lol... i was trying to type in 1265 and i guess my Harmony was too slow and the box only registered "1".

 

#4 When ending a program from DVR and hitting Guide it gives a

      "Page Load Error: Code 0

       Description: Failed to parse page"  Hitting whatever channel # directly or hitting exit twice gets you back to the channels.

 

#5 Hide Channels Option gives "Page Load Error: Code 0 Description: Failed to parse page" when either accessing it thru the Menu or the Guide

 

Thats what I have found so far and this is on my DVR I havent tried them on the STB.

Message 21 of 33
Expert

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

Try it on all of your stbs, I haven't seen that error code.  You might need to reboot your rg or dvr.
Message 22 of 33
Scholar

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs


RCSMG wrote:
Try it on all of your stbs, I haven't seen that error code.  You might need to reboot your rg or dvr.

 

I have rebooted several time (DVR). I'll try the stbs later when home...
Message 23 of 33
Expert

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

If the other stbs exhibit the same issue after you reboot them, try the rg.  If the problem is still there you may need to call ts.  800.983-2811 IMO.
Message 24 of 33
Scholar

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs


RCSMG wrote:
If the other stbs exhibit the same issue after you reboot them, try the rg.  If the problem is still there you may need to call ts.  800.983-2811 IMO.

Did you try going to channel "1" also to see if yours reboots?

Message 25 of 33
Expert

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

I have gone to channel 1 plenty of times, but none of my stbs reboots when I do. 
Message 26 of 33
Expert

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs


t1c0 wrote:

Did you try going to channel "1" also to see if yours reboots?


I am also able to enter a "1" for the channel number, and my DVR does not reboot.

Message 27 of 33
Expert

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

I think you should make that call, you may have an stb that is failing.
Message 28 of 33
Expert

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

I was trying to correct a view yesterday, local channel had the channel cropped, BUT when I tried the Zoom button, I get AUDIO OPTIONS!!
Is that because I don't have HD?

kryptonite wrote:
I used to be able to press the zoom button and have it switch between regular, stretch, zoom 1, zoom 2, zoom 3.  Now it's a menu.  I don't like that.  I want it menu-free.

 

Message 29 of 33
Expert

Re: Phase 2 Introducing Problems/Bugs

I get the same thing when I push the zoom button.  I don't have hd either.
Message 30 of 33
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support