Pausing a recorded show on the STB will cause it to lose the connection

Scholar

Pausing a recorded show on the STB will cause it to lose the connection

If I am watching a recorded show on my STB in my bed room, if i pause it for several minutes, when I hit play, i get an error telling my I've lost connection with the DVR (not sure exactly the message). I then click on continue and that show is no longer found in the list of recorded shows. Eventually the show shows up again (takes about 30 seconds). This has got the be the most anoying thing I have with UVERSE. Is this normal? What could be the problem? I have network drops at both my STB and DVR. Where the DVR is, I have a megabit switch connected to the wall, and my Wii and DVR plugged into that. Could that be causing the problem? Should I get AT&T to come out and look at this? Would they tell me I can't use a swich with the DVR?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9 (361 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Pausing a recorded show on the STB will cause it to lose the connection

It does sound like something is wrong. I have not seen or heard of it before. Best bet for trouble shooting is to minimize possibilities & add them back in. In your case, connect the STB direct from the RG (from the wall) to see if it works.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (359 Views)
Expert

Before you call ts do a hard reboot of your dvr and the stb in question.  Unplug the ac cables for 30 seconds and reconnect them.  If you are still having this issue call ts and ask them to run a test on your service.  Let them know what has been going on with your equipment, and request a tech be sent out.

Message 3 of 9 (342 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

This has been happening since I got the service a year ago. I have rebooted several times. I thought with the phase 3 update, that it would fix it but it still happens. I will try your suggestions. I only have one DVR (in the living room) and one STB in the bedroom. Like I said, both are connected using Ethernet. The bedroom STB is directly connected to the wall connector. The DVR in the living room is connected to a D-LINK gigabit switch. I also have a Wii and a wireless router connected to that same switch. I added the wireless router a few weeks ago and the problem was happening before and after that, so I doubt it is the new router. I've had the D-LINK switch since the beginning.

One question I have is, is this supposed to work? When you have Ethernet drops, is it OK to use a switch like I am doing? I would think a network connection is a network connection and I should be able to do this. In fact, everything else works perfectly. The only problem I have is when I pause a recorded program on the STB for more than a few minutes.

Thanks for the help!

Message 4 of 9 (336 Views)
Expert

I don't know about using the switches.  I thought this was something that had started recently.  Someone will be along soon to offer info/suggestions.

Message 5 of 9 (330 Views)
Expert

kokopelli_1 wrote:

This has been happening since I got the service a year ago. I have rebooted several times. I thought with the phase 3 update, that it would fix it but it still happens. I will try your suggestions. I only have one DVR (in the living room) and one STB in the bedroom. Like I said, both are connected using Ethernet. The bedroom STB is directly connected to the wall connector. The DVR in the living room is connected to a D-LINK gigabit switch. I also have a Wii and a wireless router connected to that same switch. I added the wireless router a few weeks ago and the problem was happening before and after that, so I doubt it is the new router. I've had the D-LINK switch since the beginning.

One question I have is, is this supposed to work? When you have Ethernet drops, is it OK to use a switch like I am doing? I would think a network connection is a network connection and I should be able to do this. In fact, everything else works perfectly. The only problem I have is when I pause a recorded program on the STB for more than a few minutes.

Thanks for the help! 

I suspect the switches may be causing your problem.  Have you used those since the service was installed?

Message 6 of 9 (325 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

One switch. Yes I have had it since getting the service. I added it a few days after. I needed a way to hook in my Wii and my wireless signnal stinks in my living room (i live in an old 1926 house that has solid wood walls under sheet rock. That is why I also added the wireless router recently. If I can only hook in the DVR, that will really be a bummer. I guess I could at least connect the DVR directly to the wall and see if the issue goes away. But I need a way to hook in the Wii and extend my wireless signal to the living room area.

I noticed that they added filters from the RG on the lines that go to the STB and DVR. Could that be causing problems? Can I try removing the filters?

Thanks

Message 7 of 9 (312 Views)
Expert

Filters on the phone line?  Don't believe you need those filters with U-verse.

Also, I would try removing the switch to see if the problem goes away.

Message 8 of 9 (304 Views)
Scholar

No, there are filters on each network connection coming out of the RG. The filters are only on the lines going to the DVR and STB. The one connected to the switch that UVERSE provided (which I use to connect my computers) does not have a filter.

I will try bypassing the swich connected to the DVR and see if that helps... Hopefully that is not the problem and I will still have the same issue. Then I can get AT&T to come out and fix it. I'll report back.

Thanks

Message 9 of 9 (299 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.