Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 22, 2009
9:38:10 AM
View profile
Page Loading and Actual Download Speed Problems

I have had the same trouble with all 4 of my U-Verse Installations (First Apartment had it, then cancelled, then had it again -- Moved and had it installed, and then moved again and had it installed) 

Every time I have had these same  issues.  Sites like CNN, ESPN, Netflix, Facebook ... any site with heavy flash just hangs and objects will not load.

I have RoadRunner running side by side my installation this time to compare. RoadRunner downloads firefox at 560 kpbs while my U-Verse downloads at 78-94 kpbs and they are both 6 mpbs down.

I've checked the speed on speedtest it comes back as 6 mpbs down, but the ACTUAL speeds are insanely slow and coupled with page loading problems it makes the service almost unbearable compared to the RoadRunner.

I do have a Mac (two actually) but my PC does the same thing as well. I have used OpenDNS but that doesn't change anything in my experience.

What's going on? 

Message Edited by bmcgns on 02-22-2009 12:38 PM
Message Edited by bmcgns on 02-22-2009 12:40 PM

I have had the same trouble with all 4 of my U-Verse Installations (First Apartment had it, then cancelled, then had it again -- Moved and had it installed, and then moved again and had it installed) 

Every time I have had these same  issues.  Sites like CNN, ESPN, Netflix, Facebook ... any site with heavy flash just hangs and objects will not load.

I have RoadRunner running side by side my installation this time to compare. RoadRunner downloads firefox at 560 kpbs while my U-Verse downloads at 78-94 kpbs and they are both 6 mpbs down.

I've checked the speed on speedtest it comes back as 6 mpbs down, but the ACTUAL speeds are insanely slow and coupled with page loading problems it makes the service almost unbearable compared to the RoadRunner.

I do have a Mac (two actually) but my PC does the same thing as well. I have used OpenDNS but that doesn't change anything in my experience.

What's going on? 

Message Edited by bmcgns on 02-22-2009 12:38 PM
Message Edited by bmcgns on 02-22-2009 12:40 PM

Page Loading and Actual Download Speed Problems

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 10:16:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

How many STB's do you have (including the DVR)

If more than 4, do you have an external switch installed?

How many STB's do you have (including the DVR)

If more than 4, do you have an external switch installed?

Re: Page Loading and Actual Download Speed Problems

2 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 10:17:07 AM
(0)
Master

I will agree that something is changed I use a Mac and for the most part the internet runs like it did when I first got U-verse but ever so often it will slow down to near dial-up and then rush to the site and take 

several seconds to load the page and I am using Open DNS. 

I will agree that something is changed I use a Mac and for the most part the internet runs like it did when I first got U-verse but ever so often it will slow down to near dial-up and then rush to the site and take 

several seconds to load the page and I am using Open DNS. 

3 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 12:41:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I've posted this a number of times recently, but it may be of help:

According to dnsguy at dslreports.com, it is the 2wire RG w/dns problems.  A good work around is to hard code the ATT DNS servers in your connections wired/wireless in the lower right corner of your Windows taskbar.  Double click the wired (do the wireless one next if installed and active) connection, click 'properties', double click 'internet protocol (TCP/IP)', leave 'obtain IP address' alone. chose 'use the following dns servers' , plug in 68.94.156.1 and then 68.94.157.1, then click 'ok', then 'ok' again and 'close'.  For good measure bring up a command prompt and run 'ipconfig /flushdns' then press  'enter', you should be good to go w/o any page load or graphic load problems or 'looking up...' waiting times.  I've been doing it since Thursday and it's been even better than opendns (they were somewhat slow at times), all of the aforementioned problems are gone.

You guys w/Macs just get to your wired and wireless connection properties to hard code the ATT DNS servers. :smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9 Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

I've posted this a number of times recently, but it may be of help:

According to dnsguy at dslreports.com, it is the 2wire RG w/dns problems.  A good work around is to hard code the ATT DNS servers in your connections wired/wireless in the lower right corner of your Windows taskbar.  Double click the wired (do the wireless one next if installed and active) connection, click 'properties', double click 'internet protocol (TCP/IP)', leave 'obtain IP address' alone. chose 'use the following dns servers' , plug in 68.94.156.1 and then 68.94.157.1, then click 'ok', then 'ok' again and 'close'.  For good measure bring up a command prompt and run 'ipconfig /flushdns' then press  'enter', you should be good to go w/o any page load or graphic load problems or 'looking up...' waiting times.  I've been doing it since Thursday and it's been even better than opendns (they were somewhat slow at times), all of the aforementioned problems are gone.

You guys w/Macs just get to your wired and wireless connection properties to hard code the ATT DNS servers. :smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9 Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 12:45:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

Interesting..

But as he stated, he tried open DNS, so that would rule out the RG, no?

Interesting..

But as he stated, he tried open DNS, so that would rule out the RG, no?

5 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 12:49:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Did you see the part that I stated that opendns seemed to have slowed down also for me, so I can categorically tell you that since Thursday my computer has received the best and quickest DNS service since I got it 6 1/2 years ago ( on DirecTV DSL, ATT DSL and Uverse DSL) hard coding the ATT DNS servers. :smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9   Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 02-22-2009 03:50 PM

Did you see the part that I stated that opendns seemed to have slowed down also for me, so I can categorically tell you that since Thursday my computer has received the best and quickest DNS service since I got it 6 1/2 years ago ( on DirecTV DSL, ATT DSL and Uverse DSL) hard coding the ATT DNS servers. :smileywink:

Chris

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 02-22-2009 03:50 PM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 2:34:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I only have one box HDDVR. 

I'm going to try the hardwired DNS settings to see if anything improves.  Do you think DNS settings would have anything to do with the slowed actual download speeds?

I only have one box HDDVR. 

I'm going to try the hardwired DNS settings to see if anything improves.  Do you think DNS settings would have anything to do with the slowed actual download speeds?

7 of 31 (626 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2009 7:30:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just tried the hardwire DNS settings, and wow did it make a difference.

I have tripled my download speed, and all of the pages I listed now load fast without any hanging on flash objects.

Thanks! 

I just tried the hardwire DNS settings, and wow did it make a difference.

I have tripled my download speed, and all of the pages I listed now load fast without any hanging on flash objects.

Thanks! 

8 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2009 4:09:30 AM
(0)
Teacher

We were just installed on Wednesday (U200)  and the only snag is the slow internet speeds.

I did the DNS edit but we're still only traveling at abougt 122 Kbps.  Is this something for a tech to handle?

We were just installed on Wednesday (U200)  and the only snag is the slow internet speeds.

I did the DNS edit but we're still only traveling at abougt 122 Kbps.  Is this something for a tech to handle?

9 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2009 5:36:04 AM
(0)
Master

mmarton wrote:

what does this site say ?     speed test

Message Edited by randyl on 02-27-2009 07:39 AM

mmarton wrote:

what does this site say ?     speed test

Message Edited by randyl on 02-27-2009 07:39 AM

10 of 31 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2009 9:18:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

I tried the speed test on www.speedtesnt.net.  I get about 200 or us Kbps down and about 950 up on this PC.  But I need to back up a minute.

The RG is in the basement and I have a notebook PC in a docking station connected via CAT 5.  The upload speed test on the basement PC is closer to the 6 Mb we're paying for, os no issue there.

The upstairs PC with the speed issue is upstairs (the one I'm sitting at now) and is connected to the RG by a 100 ft. CAT 5 cable that I fished from the basement.  We had the same set-up with our AT&T (former Bellsouth) DSL service with no issues.

Tech support was out here yesterday (2/28) and the guy they sent over couldn't find any problem. He said that he'd put in a call to TechConnect.

Box PCs are Windows XP.  I'm guessing that there has to be a setting somewhere that's off or some physical issue between the RG and this PC (I doubt that). I'm not techie, but I tried doing the IP config test and the black DOS window opens for about a second and then automatically closes.  Is that a clue?

Thanks.

I tried the speed test on www.speedtesnt.net.  I get about 200 or us Kbps down and about 950 up on this PC.  But I need to back up a minute.

The RG is in the basement and I have a notebook PC in a docking station connected via CAT 5.  The upload speed test on the basement PC is closer to the 6 Mb we're paying for, os no issue there.

The upstairs PC with the speed issue is upstairs (the one I'm sitting at now) and is connected to the RG by a 100 ft. CAT 5 cable that I fished from the basement.  We had the same set-up with our AT&T (former Bellsouth) DSL service with no issues.

Tech support was out here yesterday (2/28) and the guy they sent over couldn't find any problem. He said that he'd put in a call to TechConnect.

Box PCs are Windows XP.  I'm guessing that there has to be a setting somewhere that's off or some physical issue between the RG and this PC (I doubt that). I'm not techie, but I tried doing the IP config test and the black DOS window opens for about a second and then automatically closes.  Is that a clue?

Thanks.

11 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2009 10:26:55 AM
(0)
Master

mmarton wrote:

take the laptop upstairs and run it on the cat5 with the trouble to determine it is  not the cable ??  a thought

Box PCs are Windows XP.  I'm guessing that there has to be a setting somewhere that's off or some physical issue between the RG and this PC (I doubt that). I'm not techie, but I tried doing the IP config test and the black DOS window opens for about a second and then automatically closes.  Is that a clue?  not really   run your test in the command prompt window allready open

To launch DOS from windows you execute cmd or command from the run prompt in the start menu.

Thanks.

mmarton wrote:

take the laptop upstairs and run it on the cat5 with the trouble to determine it is  not the cable ??  a thought

Box PCs are Windows XP.  I'm guessing that there has to be a setting somewhere that's off or some physical issue between the RG and this PC (I doubt that). I'm not techie, but I tried doing the IP config test and the black DOS window opens for about a second and then automatically closes.  Is that a clue?  not really   run your test in the command prompt window allready open

To launch DOS from windows you execute cmd or command from the run prompt in the start menu.

Thanks.

12 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2009 6:12:38 PM
(0)
Master

I would also suspect the cable or how it is terminated for the upload to be better than the download as you said the downstairs computer works fine unless its a bad port on the RG you might try swapping the

connections on 1 through 4 on the back of the RG to rule that out . 

I would also suspect the cable or how it is terminated for the upload to be better than the download as you said the downstairs computer works fine unless its a bad port on the RG you might try swapping the

connections on 1 through 4 on the back of the RG to rule that out . 

13 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2009 5:02:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

OK.  I removed the Cat 5 cable that's plugged into the misbehaving upstairs PC and plugged it into the notebook PC brought from downstairs that is operating correctly.

I only got about 4500 Kbps down in the speed test, but that's a far cry from the less than 300 Kbps that the other PC was pulling.  I've done ping tests and looked at the Uverse admin pages and there doesn't appear to be any phyisical problem.

There's got to be a Windows or browser setting that needs changing, although we had no problems at all with the DSL connection before cutting over to Uverse last Wednesday.  I called technical support last night but unfortunately got a call center in south Asia.  They were no help at all, so I've got someone coming out today.

OK.  I removed the Cat 5 cable that's plugged into the misbehaving upstairs PC and plugged it into the notebook PC brought from downstairs that is operating correctly.

I only got about 4500 Kbps down in the speed test, but that's a far cry from the less than 300 Kbps that the other PC was pulling.  I've done ping tests and looked at the Uverse admin pages and there doesn't appear to be any phyisical problem.

There's got to be a Windows or browser setting that needs changing, although we had no problems at all with the DSL connection before cutting over to Uverse last Wednesday.  I called technical support last night but unfortunately got a call center in south Asia.  They were no help at all, so I've got someone coming out today.

14 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2009 5:45:11 AM
(0)
Master

u may try tweaks and tests   etc  from those fine folks

welp sorry u didnt whip it but least u narrowed it down..

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

a thought

randy

u may try tweaks and tests   etc  from those fine folks

welp sorry u didnt whip it but least u narrowed it down..

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

a thought

randy

15 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2009 6:03:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

So I ran home yesterday to meet the AT&T tech who came out to check the slow internet connection.  He had left before I got there, telling my wife that the issue was with the browser phishing filter and that the PC was on the older side (true).

That turned out to be nonsense.  He left his card and I called.  He said he wasn't aware of any techs who could solve the issue.

This is strange.  All of the numbers between the PC and RG look fine.  I turned off the the Windows firewall to see if that was an issue.  It wasn't.  I unistalled AVG anti-virus and that didn't improve anything.   The PC is a plain old Dell from about 2002, but has been working fine with DSL.

I called AT&T and they're sending out a "senior level" tech out today.

So I ran home yesterday to meet the AT&T tech who came out to check the slow internet connection.  He had left before I got there, telling my wife that the issue was with the browser phishing filter and that the PC was on the older side (true).

That turned out to be nonsense.  He left his card and I called.  He said he wasn't aware of any techs who could solve the issue.

This is strange.  All of the numbers between the PC and RG look fine.  I turned off the the Windows firewall to see if that was an issue.  It wasn't.  I unistalled AVG anti-virus and that didn't improve anything.   The PC is a plain old Dell from about 2002, but has been working fine with DSL.

I called AT&T and they're sending out a "senior level" tech out today.

16 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2009 12:08:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Mine is a Dell laptop from 2002 and I don't have any problems after I hard coded the ATT DNS servers in my connection properties. :smileywink:

Chris

Mine is a Dell laptop from 2002 and I don't have any problems after I hard coded the ATT DNS servers in my connection properties. :smileywink:

Chris

17 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2009 1:34:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
I have a Dell C400 notebook from 2002 that runs fine without the DNS hardcode.  I did the DNS hardcode to the Dell desktop and that didn't help.
I have a Dell C400 notebook from 2002 that runs fine without the DNS hardcode.  I did the DNS hardcode to the Dell desktop and that didn't help.

18 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2009 10:04:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Make another call to ts and if that doesn't get you anywhere try contacting David.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=calling&message.id=344&query.id=4611#M344

Make another call to ts and if that doesn't get you anywhere try contacting David.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=calling&message.id=344&query.id=4611#M344

19 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2009 3:19:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

Just exactly how does one hard code in the DNS #'s on a Mac?  I'm a PC user, with a daughter who has a Mac laptop, using wireless.

I go to Network, and select DNS tab, and I've entered the suggested  DNS numbers, but they come in after the numbers that correspond to the RG, and those numbers are greyed out, so I cannot select them to move them down so the software searches the 'good' DNS numbers first.  I tried setting TCP/IP to configure iPv4 manually to those numbers, but couldn't connect at all then.

TIA. 

Just exactly how does one hard code in the DNS #'s on a Mac?  I'm a PC user, with a daughter who has a Mac laptop, using wireless.

I go to Network, and select DNS tab, and I've entered the suggested  DNS numbers, but they come in after the numbers that correspond to the RG, and those numbers are greyed out, so I cannot select them to move them down so the software searches the 'good' DNS numbers first.  I tried setting TCP/IP to configure iPv4 manually to those numbers, but couldn't connect at all then.

TIA. 

20 of 31 (200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2009 5:35:41 PM
(0)
Master

Shyster951 wrote:

TIA. 

Sounds like you found the right area leave the grayed out numbers that correspond to the 2-wire gateway in the second column now in the first column inter 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 these are primary and secondary dns your done exit and try its  working great for me with the addition of Safari 4 beta.

Shyster951 wrote:

TIA. 

Sounds like you found the right area leave the grayed out numbers that correspond to the 2-wire gateway in the second column now in the first column inter 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 these are primary and secondary dns your done exit and try its  working great for me with the addition of Safari 4 beta.

21 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2009 7:15:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

Oz  - the greyed out #'s for the RG are in the first column, and cannot be moved to the second (or right) column (which is for the search engine).

I've added the numbers you mentioned, but they have not been effective.  What I was trying to do was move the AT&T DNS #'s you suggest on top of the greyed out #'s that correspond to the RG, but I have not been able to so adjust the order.  

FWIW, I called Apple Tech Support and their suggestion was to reinstall the OS! 

Oz  - the greyed out #'s for the RG are in the first column, and cannot be moved to the second (or right) column (which is for the search engine).

I've added the numbers you mentioned, but they have not been effective.  What I was trying to do was move the AT&T DNS #'s you suggest on top of the greyed out #'s that correspond to the RG, but I have not been able to so adjust the order.  

FWIW, I called Apple Tech Support and their suggestion was to reinstall the OS! 

22 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2009 7:56:11 PM
(0)
Master

You misunderstood me I did not mean for you to enter anything in the second column and as for the first add the numbers below the first one thats grayed out in column one. this is still working for me. There must

be a setting that has changed have you tried using the assist me button in system preference under network. 

You misunderstood me I did not mean for you to enter anything in the second column and as for the first add the numbers below the first one thats grayed out in column one. this is still working for me. There must

be a setting that has changed have you tried using the assist me button in system preference under network. 

23 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2009 6:31:09 AM
(0)
Teacher
Sent a note to David, following all the instructions.  How long does it take for a response?
Sent a note to David, following all the instructions.  How long does it take for a response?

24 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2009 5:47:06 AM
(0)
Teacher

I finally tried something last night to fix my speed problem that I think I saw on UverseUsers.  And it appears to have worked.

I plugged in an Ethernet switch to the RG and re-routed the cable connected to the underperforming PC through that switch.  Viola!  I'm getting about 4800 Kbps downloads now.  Not quite the 5600 of the other PC, but a far cry from the 200 I was getting.

I'll still hold AT&T feet to the fire, but this definitely a breakthrough.

I finally tried something last night to fix my speed problem that I think I saw on UverseUsers.  And it appears to have worked.

I plugged in an Ethernet switch to the RG and re-routed the cable connected to the underperforming PC through that switch.  Viola!  I'm getting about 4800 Kbps downloads now.  Not quite the 5600 of the other PC, but a far cry from the 200 I was getting.

25 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2009 8:34:58 AM
(0)
Master

mmarton wrote:

I would now suspect the RG since a switch will somewhat boost the signal .

mmarton wrote:

I would now suspect the RG since a switch will somewhat boost the signal .

26 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2009 5:15:02 AM
(0)
Teacher

I don't know about the RG.

With the other PC operating correctly all along and our TVs having no issues since installation, I was certain it was a PC software issue.  Before adding the switch, I changed ports to no avail.  The switch didn't just somewhat boost the signal, it completely cleared some kind of logjam.  I did a test yesterday and achieved a speed of 5800.

I don't know about the RG.

With the other PC operating correctly all along and our TVs having no issues since installation, I was certain it was a PC software issue.  Before adding the switch, I changed ports to no avail.  The switch didn't just somewhat boost the signal, it completely cleared some kind of logjam.  I did a test yesterday and achieved a speed of 5800.

27 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2009 4:13:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

Oz,

I am a long time Mac user - just installed uverse and was unhappy with how the page loads - I tried the hard wire dns and it works great! Thanks for the help. 

Oz,

I am a long time Mac user - just installed uverse and was unhappy with how the page loads - I tried the hard wire dns and it works great! Thanks for the help. 

28 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2009 7:45:12 AM
(0)
Master

rieg wrote:

Oz,

You are welcome but actually Chris (mibrnsurg) posted this fix a while ago and I tried it and it worked great with Safari 4 beta so just relaying good info.

rieg wrote:

Oz,

You are welcome but actually Chris (mibrnsurg) posted this fix a while ago and I tried it and it worked great with Safari 4 beta so just relaying good info.

29 of 31 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2009 5:42:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

mmarton ,

Did you have any STB's or DVR attached to the RG via cat 5 or is all of your boxes connected via coax?

I also had an issue and a switch was the fix. However in my case, the installed put some STB's on the switch and some to the RG, and that was a major problem for me..

Even VOIP was taking some major packet loss. Having all devices on the switch is the best solution period. It makes sense.. Keep the already busy RG load down.

Message Edited by djmegahertz on 03-18-2009 08:43 AM

mmarton ,

Did you have any STB's or DVR attached to the RG via cat 5 or is all of your boxes connected via coax?

I also had an issue and a switch was the fix. However in my case, the installed put some STB's on the switch and some to the RG, and that was a major problem for me..

Even VOIP was taking some major packet loss. Having all devices on the switch is the best solution period. It makes sense.. Keep the already busy RG load down.

Message Edited by djmegahertz on 03-18-2009 08:43 AM

30 of 31 (184 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments