Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 20, 2010
12:32:52 PM
PC Wireless slower than Mac Wireless

Hello all,

I've had U-Verse for quite a few years now and luckily, I haven't had issues until recently.

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.x (I don't exactly remember off the top of my head right now because I'm on the PC side) and also have Windows XP Service Pack 3 using Boot Camp.

On my Mac side, I am getting close to the 12 Mbps download that I have subscribed to.  I am using Speakeasy's speedtest.

On my PC side, I am only getting about 4 Mbps download.  On other PCs, I am also getting about 4 Mbps.  For the speedtest, I am using Speakeasy's speedtest, Los Angeles node, as well as DSL Report's speed tests.  I am able to achieve 6 Mbps download if I use the San Francisco site for Speakeasy.

One puzzling thing is that if I am wired on the PC side, I am able to achieve close to 12 Mbps on the PC side from Speakeasy.

Another puzzling thing is that if I use Speedtest.net's speed test, I am able to achieve close to the 12 Mbps on the PC wireless side.

I've updated the wireless drivers, but the speedtests from Speakeasy and DSL Reports are the same.

I've also noticed that my download speeds at many sites are indeed slower.

This has been happening for at least a week now.  Any ideas what this could be?  Are there other speed sites that you use?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello all,

I've had U-Verse for quite a few years now and luckily, I haven't had issues until recently.

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.x (I don't exactly remember off the top of my head right now because I'm on the PC side) and also have Windows XP Service Pack 3 using Boot Camp.

On my Mac side, I am getting close to the 12 Mbps download that I have subscribed to.  I am using Speakeasy's speedtest.

On my PC side, I am only getting about 4 Mbps download.  On other PCs, I am also getting about 4 Mbps.  For the speedtest, I am using Speakeasy's speedtest, Los Angeles node, as well as DSL Report's speed tests.  I am able to achieve 6 Mbps download if I use the San Francisco site for Speakeasy.

One puzzling thing is that if I am wired on the PC side, I am able to achieve close to 12 Mbps on the PC side from Speakeasy.

Another puzzling thing is that if I use Speedtest.net's speed test, I am able to achieve close to the 12 Mbps on the PC wireless side.

I've updated the wireless drivers, but the speedtests from Speakeasy and DSL Reports are the same.

I've also noticed that my download speeds at many sites are indeed slower.

This has been happening for at least a week now.  Any ideas what this could be?  Are there other speed sites that you use?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PC Wireless slower than Mac Wireless

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2010 6:17:14 PM
(0)
Master

Re: PC Wireless slower than Mac Wireless

2 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2010 6:38:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just checked my IP from the MacOS side and Windows side.  Both are originating from my U-Verse IP.

Is there anything else I should be looking at from the whatismyip.com website?

Just checked my IP from the MacOS side and Windows side.  Both are originating from my U-Verse IP.

Is there anything else I should be looking at from the whatismyip.com website?

3 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2010 8:14:35 AM
(0)
Master

I thought you wanted another speed test its in the column on the left 2nd one.

I thought you wanted another speed test its in the column on the left 2nd one.

4 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2010 4:42:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

For Mac's Wireless being much faster than your PCs wireless:

> Try changing the channel of your router/gateway. Some adapters loves certain channels.

> The wifi adapter of your Mac might be better than your PC's. But if your PCs have different wifi adapters then this is a different case.

For varying results from different speed testing sites:

> Different sites uses different servers. And different locations of the hosts can affect the result. I also get a varying result from different speed testing sites, especialy if I choose a different city.

For more speed testing sites:

> 2wire.com/speedtest

> uverse.att.com/speedtest

> Why dont you just search them in google. there are lots of them.

For Mac's Wireless being much faster than your PCs wireless:

> Try changing the channel of your router/gateway. Some adapters loves certain channels.

> The wifi adapter of your Mac might be better than your PC's. But if your PCs have different wifi adapters then this is a different case.

For varying results from different speed testing sites:

> Different sites uses different servers. And different locations of the hosts can affect the result. I also get a varying result from different speed testing sites, especialy if I choose a different city.

For more speed testing sites:

> 2wire.com/speedtest

> uverse.att.com/speedtest

> Why dont you just search them in google. there are lots of them.

5 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2010 12:28:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions.  Changed to every different channel.  No success.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Changed to every different channel.  No success.

6 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2010 4:19:07 PM
(0)
Master

I would suspect a driver issue and quite possibly AV on the windows side to rule that out disable both the AV and firewall

temporaraly just to test and see if the speed picks up if not enable and reload the newest drivers.

I would suspect a driver issue and quite possibly AV on the windows side to rule that out disable both the AV and firewall

temporaraly just to test and see if the speed picks up if not enable and reload the newest drivers.

7 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2010 8:33:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

I hate to be dense on this thread, but what's the problem again?  You say you only get slow results when running XP SP3 in bootcamp through its wireless adapter at Speakeasy's speed test - but not speedtest.net?

If you are getting full speed while wired, but not wireless, then I'd look for updated wireless drivers, etc.  If you are getting full speed wireless on your primary mac OS wireless, but not on your XP SP3 partition running bootcamp, again, I would check and see if you do in fact have the best wireless drivers for the hardware under XP.

I think it is somejoe777 who has put up some good links to tools often found at DSLReports that can help you tweak some of the settings on your adapters.  You might be able to improve performance by running some of those tools to tweak the wireless settings in your XP machine.  I think it's called DR. TCP or something like that.  Search for some of SomeJoe's most popular threads on this forum, and it should give you some ideas.

I hate to be dense on this thread, but what's the problem again?  You say you only get slow results when running XP SP3 in bootcamp through its wireless adapter at Speakeasy's speed test - but not speedtest.net?

If you are getting full speed while wired, but not wireless, then I'd look for updated wireless drivers, etc.  If you are getting full speed wireless on your primary mac OS wireless, but not on your XP SP3 partition running bootcamp, again, I would check and see if you do in fact have the best wireless drivers for the hardware under XP.

I think it is somejoe777 who has put up some good links to tools often found at DSLReports that can help you tweak some of the settings on your adapters.  You might be able to improve performance by running some of those tools to tweak the wireless settings in your XP machine.  I think it's called DR. TCP or something like that.  Search for some of SomeJoe's most popular threads on this forum, and it should give you some ideas.

8 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2010 2:23:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have a tech coming out tomorrow.

Here's the latest update:

1)  Updated with latest Bootcamp 3.1 drivers on the Windows partition on the Mac.

2)  Tested with another Dell Windows XP Pro SP3 machine with latest Intel PRO Wireless driver

Both Mac and Dell machines are getting the same 4Mbps download on the Windows side, whereas on the Mac OS X side for the Mac machine, I am getting 12Mbps.

Every site that I've been testing from on the Windows side is getting 4Mbps, with the exception of speedtest.net, which is actually showing 12Mbps, which is puzzling.

I have a tech coming out tomorrow.

Here's the latest update:

1)  Updated with latest Bootcamp 3.1 drivers on the Windows partition on the Mac.

2)  Tested with another Dell Windows XP Pro SP3 machine with latest Intel PRO Wireless driver

Both Mac and Dell machines are getting the same 4Mbps download on the Windows side, whereas on the Mac OS X side for the Mac machine, I am getting 12Mbps.

Every site that I've been testing from on the Windows side is getting 4Mbps, with the exception of speedtest.net, which is actually showing 12Mbps, which is puzzling.

9 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2010 8:59:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having this problem as well and would love to know what the fix is. I just had Uverse installed and almost immediately noticed this problem.  Although the AT&T Tier 2 tech I spoke to was fairly competent, technical support was unable to give me many clues (The Tier 1 tech did her job, bless her heart). 

I'm off of an Atlanta POP and ran my speed test at broadbandreports.com and speakeasy.net with similar results. My results at speedtest.net were 2M down and 4M down for broadbandreports and speakeasy.net.  I've run the same test with a desktop and again with a laptop.  In both cases I plugged directly into the 2Wire via ethernet and I get 18Mdown, I go wireless with a wireless g card and/or wireless g usb adapter (both usb adapter and pcmcia card are Netopia Wireless B/G) and get 2M or 4M down depending on the site of the test.  I get 1.5 up in both cases.

I would think the the 2Wire is somehow limiting  and/or managing the allocation of bandwidth to multiple devices but even in the management console of the 2Wire interface I couldn't see anything that appears to be shaping my wireless traffic only.

I also wonder if it's possible that there is a backend system which manages bandwidth allocation changes between the IPTV/Ethernet connection and the Wireless connection.   I believe there is a way they manage to change and/or cap the speeds of the IPTV connection remotely.  As IPTV is simply an ethernet connection I imagine the wireless could be the same way.

I have a netopia wireless b/g card on XP SP3, I'm running only the windows firewall and AVGFree. Any help would be great.  Thanks,

I'm having this problem as well and would love to know what the fix is. I just had Uverse installed and almost immediately noticed this problem.  Although the AT&T Tier 2 tech I spoke to was fairly competent, technical support was unable to give me many clues (The Tier 1 tech did her job, bless her heart). 

I'm off of an Atlanta POP and ran my speed test at broadbandreports.com and speakeasy.net with similar results. My results at speedtest.net were 2M down and 4M down for broadbandreports and speakeasy.net.  I've run the same test with a desktop and again with a laptop.  In both cases I plugged directly into the 2Wire via ethernet and I get 18Mdown, I go wireless with a wireless g card and/or wireless g usb adapter (both usb adapter and pcmcia card are Netopia Wireless B/G) and get 2M or 4M down depending on the site of the test.  I get 1.5 up in both cases.

I would think the the 2Wire is somehow limiting  and/or managing the allocation of bandwidth to multiple devices but even in the management console of the 2Wire interface I couldn't see anything that appears to be shaping my wireless traffic only.

I also wonder if it's possible that there is a backend system which manages bandwidth allocation changes between the IPTV/Ethernet connection and the Wireless connection.   I believe there is a way they manage to change and/or cap the speeds of the IPTV connection remotely.  As IPTV is simply an ethernet connection I imagine the wireless could be the same way.

I have a netopia wireless b/g card on XP SP3, I'm running only the windows firewall and AVGFree. Any help would be great.  Thanks,

10 of 14 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2010 4:11:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm  L.A. based and since yesterday noticed that Speakeasy was showing my downloads at about 1/3 their speed. I switched to the Seattle server and then it would sporadically show my full bandwidth. Could be something happening with AT&T's DSLAM's....faulty upgrade, what have you. Just a thought.

I'm  L.A. based and since yesterday noticed that Speakeasy was showing my downloads at about 1/3 their speed. I switched to the Seattle server and then it would sporadically show my full bandwidth. Could be something happening with AT&T's DSLAM's....faulty upgrade, what have you. Just a thought.

11 of 14 (807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 12:31:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

All,

I am convinced that this is a Windows XP SP3 issue, and perhaps with specific wireless cards.

So far, I have had four Windows XP SP3 laptops in my house and all four have a max download of 4Mbps and when wired, they are achieving 12Mbps.

Every Vista laptop in the house has been getting close to the 12Mbps download.

Every Mac laptop in the house has been getting close to the 12Mbps download.

Like I said earlier, the MacBook Pro that has both Mac OSX and Win XP SP3... The Mac OSX is getting close to the 12Mbps speed whereas when I boot into the Win XP SP3 side, it gets about 4Mbps.

Time to upgrade to Win 7.

All,

I am convinced that this is a Windows XP SP3 issue, and perhaps with specific wireless cards.

So far, I have had four Windows XP SP3 laptops in my house and all four have a max download of 4Mbps and when wired, they are achieving 12Mbps.

Every Vista laptop in the house has been getting close to the 12Mbps download.

Every Mac laptop in the house has been getting close to the 12Mbps download.

Like I said earlier, the MacBook Pro that has both Mac OSX and Win XP SP3... The Mac OSX is getting close to the 12Mbps speed whereas when I boot into the Win XP SP3 side, it gets about 4Mbps.

Time to upgrade to Win 7.

12 of 14 (807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2010 1:18:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem. 2 XP laptops connect at about 4-5Mb. Macbook connects at 12+ Mb. I don't really have the option to upgrade the OS b/c I'm using a work computer. Any other solutions?

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem. 2 XP laptops connect at about 4-5Mb. Macbook connects at 12+ Mb. I don't really have the option to upgrade the OS b/c I'm using a work computer. Any other solutions?

13 of 14 (773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2010 1:48:43 PM
(0)
Master

martindn wrote:

fwiw

not usre that is ur problem but something   to look at

:_P)

martindn wrote:

fwiw

not usre that is ur problem but something   to look at

:_P)

14 of 14 (763 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments