Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Only Uverse Internet and cancel Uverse TV?

Mentor

Only Uverse Internet and cancel Uverse TV?

Is that possible? What about for existing users? Is there a way to take off TV online?

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
Mentor

Re: Only Uverse Internet and cancel Uverse TV?

Greetings idontknow!  Welcome to the U-talk forums!

I believe that you can cancel the TV bundle if you already have U-verse service.  You can call them at 800-288-2020 to make sure...

Message 2 of 13
Mentor

Thanks Elrendhel

I will call and ask

Just wanted to know if someone here has done that or not

Message 3 of 13
Tutor

I doubt you can change the order online.  I just had the service installed on Saturday and called them on Tuesday to cancel the TV service.   They said there was no problem keeping the internet and voice service without it.

I had hoped it would work out, but I was extremely disappointed with the TV and DVR service, having been spoiled by TiVo technology over the past 10 years.

BTW, I had them leave my DirecTV setup intact just in case this might happen and because I need it for the football season since

they still have  a monopoly on the NFL Sunday Ticket.  This turned out to be a great help.

Message Edited by gwathen on 02-05-2009 04:00 PM
Message 4 of 13
Mentor

Thanks. I guess call only will work. I am not getting time to watch due to heavy workload and utilize the DVR and there is no cheaper service they are offering me. So it is the time to switch off the TV
Message 5 of 13
Mentor

Just called and canceled the TV part
Message 6 of 13
Contributor

I also cancelled our U-Verse TV service but kept the Internet part.  What they didn't tell me, though, was that the shows I recorded on the AT&T DVR would be immediately deleted!  I was hoping to watch a few more programs in the 21 days I was given to return the device.  Obviously, I was feeling pissed and spend about an hour on the phone, pleading to get it back.  But, even if I paid $90 for a technician to come out and reconnect my device, they said everything I had to that point was lost.  I sure wish they told me that when I called to cancel!
Message 7 of 13
Professor

I guess that canceled means canceled, not eventually canceled or sort of canceled.

Uverse uses an "active" DRM, so the DVR checks back with AT&T to see if the recording is authorized to be played. As soon as you killed your TV subscription, the link back to AT&T for the DRM authorization was severed.

Message 8 of 13
Scholar

also when you cancelled, they set the date to be instantly, unless you called in and set the date to be later down the road. (i.e. call on 8/27 and said cancel tv for 9/1)

your tv service is ceased. which means the boxes arent assigned to an account anymore that is active. which means no service.

and plus u have 10 days to take it to ups, provide ur acct num and if u were given a oma number provide that as well. and from there at&t has 21 days to receive it..  if they dont receive it by the 21st day, then u owe 150$ per box u sent back.

so send it back immediately.

just my opinion.

Message Edited by mkoegle on 08-29-2009 10:39 AM
Message 9 of 13

I'm surprised you thought you could still use your U-verse DVR after you canceled your TV service.  If you wanna use the service, you gotta keep paying for the service. 
Message 10 of 13
Professor

In the OP's defense, I unsubbed from DirecTV two years ago but I have my old DirecTiVo still sitting around. The last time I checked, the recordings on it were still able to be played back.

"Most" DVR's can be operated autonomously in a stand alone setup...Uverse is the one exception that I am aware of. If the TV service is down, you cannot play any programs that have been recorded.

Message 11 of 13
Expert

I also have my dvr from Directv and I have it connected to one of my tvs so that I can watch some recordings I wanted to keep.  My rg reset this morning and everything was down including being able to watch recorded programs.  That is the only thing I would like to see changed with Uverse.  However, I could live with it if our recorded programs were being stored somewhere so that if we needed to do a disaster recovery or change our dvrs our recorded programs could be recovered. 
Message 12 of 13
Contributor

Switched to Direct Tv and the guys in store said Uverse Tv (kept internet) would be canceled, but that was January and have had to call each month (now in April) after to remove the Uverse charges. The ATT Direct Tv guy are having a hard time canceling Uverse. Checked on line for next bill (May) and it is still there!!!! Will have to call again, again, again,

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support