Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Offical Anti AT&T cap group on facebook.com

Scholar

Thought id let you folks know:

»www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=73573669734

(I hope it is not against the rules to promote offsite groups.)

PS. I'm all for providing a fair view to this matter, and don't intend to use the group to "brainwash" people into thinking caps are bad. Our goal is to educate. If you see unfair propaganda presented, let me know how to make it fair and right!

Also if you are interested in becoming a group officer, let me know.
Message 1 of 28
Expert

Re: Offical Anti AT&T cap group on facebook.com

Well, you started the other thread about the caps and now here you are saying it's all fair, but I'd say it's there to promote cap backlash on that facebook link.  Do you honestly think ATT gives a hoot about what anybody thinks about caps, if they did they wouldn't have even started the two trials as they know just about everybody is against capped internet usage, although in Uverse's usage it is hypocritical.   We use gigs and gigs on TV, but yet they want to throttle our internet usage on a few gigs. :smileytongue:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

Message 2 of 28
Employee

People are screaming the sky is falling if caps are imposed. The PCWorld  article quoting Comcast that most users use 2-3 GB per month. So it would appear someone hitting a 250GB for Comcast and 150GB for AT&T are using a product meant for residentual use are using it for a business purpose. Or they are just leaving a streaming feed on even when they are not there because it does not cost anything to do so. 

I guess it is OK for some in the no caps crowd that a person on a fixed income has to drop their internet connection because the price goes up $5 on everyone to support the costs of users using 10 or 100 times plus more then whatever the average user uses. Who is being greedy here the ISP or 200GB plus users. The no caps users may find the backlash is against them and instead of 150GB caps the ISPs end up setting them even lower like TWC tried at 40GB. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153312/broadband_caps_coming_to_atandt.html

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 28
Master

Escapee wrote:

People are screaming the sky is falling if caps are imposed. The PCWorld  article quoting Comcast that most users use 2-3 GB per month. So it would appear someone hitting a 250GB for Comcast and 150GB for AT&T are using a product meant for residentual use are using it for a business purpose. Or they are just leaving a streaming feed on even when they are not there because it does not cost anything to do so. 

I guess it is OK for some in the no caps crowd that a person on a fixed income has to drop their internet connection because the price goes up $5 on everyone to support the costs of users using 10 or 100 times plus more then whatever the average user uses. Who is being greedy here the ISP or 200GB plus users. The no caps users may find the backlash is against them and instead of 150GB caps the ISPs end up setting them even lower like TWC tried at 40GB. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153312/broadband_caps_coming_to_atandt.html

Note that the article was published in Nov 2008.

Beginning this month, AT&T will restrict new customers in the affected areas based on their Internet plans. Users with the slowest speed DSL service will be limited to 20GB of bandwidth per month, while users of the fastest plan will receive a cap of 150GB a month. Any data transferred above the limit will be billed at a rate of $1 per gigabyte following a one-month grace period. Existing AT&T customers will not yet be affected but will be added into the test later this year. (didn't happen, did it?) All existing users will automatically receive the highest cap of 150GB a month, Coe notes.

So looks like it will supposedly affect new customers in certain areas and from what this artcle states, existing users will get the 150GB cap. Sounds to me like many of their customers will be grandfathered in for the 150GB cap when and if it comes around. Am I reading that right?

I know they were testing in Reno but didn't they also do some limited testing in TX somewhere?

Message 4 of 28
Master

Pip I believe your right and it was Beaumont if i am not mistaken.
Message 5 of 28
Employee

How much can you download with 758kb speed? That speed alone is self limiting. Caps in the past were not needed because the speeds were 56kb and then blazing fast at 1MB. Your nic card was slow and the web sites limited their download output. Today a fast nic card costs less then $15 with tax. The content providers will let you download at what ever speed your connection allows. The only part that had not changed is unlimited downloading. The ISPs look at all the companies making money using their pipes but they are not allowed to get a part of the cash. They are expected to meet the increased demand but are expected to do it with no increase in revenue. For the internet to be sucessful all parties have to share the wealth. If the ISPs can not keep up with the end users the end users will not be happy in the end. 

I wonder how much of the protest is from the 5% of users that have a lot to lose. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 28
Master

I thought Beaumont was for TWC but I could be wrong, maybe not. (see below) :smileywink:

2 more articles from the link that Escappe posted.

Time Warner Changes -- But Keeps -- Bandwidth Caps.........from April 10, 2009.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/162928/time_warner_changes_but_keeps_bandwidth_caps.html?tk=loom_art

Time Warner Cable decided it wanted to play with bandwidth capping, but after intense backlash from customers, the company has backed off its original plans.

At first, Time Warner yapped about unrolling a trial tiered pricing program in Beaumont, Texas, and then expanded the plan to hit Austin and San Antonio,Texas; Greensboro, N.C.; and Rochester, N.Y. The tiered pricing plan forced customers to choose between a 5GB and 40GB download cap per month, and outrage ensued.

The noise got so loud that Landel Hobbs, the chief operating officer of Time Warner Cable, wrote a response to customer complaints that slightly tweaked the plans but did not, as many had hoped, do away with them.

Also this one..........

Time Warner Drops Usage-Based Access Fees -- For Now..........from April 18, 2009.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163382/time_warner_drops_usagebased_access_fees_for_no...

Time Warner Cable's decision to back off from a usage-based pricing change for high-speed Internet subscribers in four cities demonstrates how politically fraught the governance of Internet access and pricing can be.

Time Warner's new CEO, Glenn Britt, issued a statement late last week saying the company had shelved the pricing trials in Rochester, N.Y., Austin and San Antonio, Texas, and Gressnboro, N.C. Those trials, which started only two weeks earlier, charged subscribers for the amount of bandwidth they used. Time Warner calls it a "consumption-based" model.

Message 7 of 28
Master

Message 8 of 28
Master

oz wrote:
Found it.  http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=175121&site=cdn#msgs

So, we were both right. :smileyhappy:

From that article......interesting, there is that mention of existing customers again. :smileywink:

Existing AT&T customers in Beaumont and Reno will enter the metered-billing trial if they exceed a 150-gigabyte limit on their monthly bandwidth.

These bandwidth caps in the two trial cities do apply to U-verse customers, but only to the broadband Internet portion of U-verse (so you can still watch HDTV all day).

Big difference too in the caps for the different levels of speed you have between between AT&T and TWC.

Table 1: Internet Usage Caps (Beaumont, Texas)

Service ProviderBandwidth Cap (GBs)Internet Speed (Mbit/s)
AT&T 15010
AT&T 15018
AT&T 806
AT&T 603
Time Warner Cable4010
AT&T 401.5
AT&T 200.768
Time Warner Cable207
Time Warner Cable103
Time Warner Cable50.768
Sources: Time Warner Cable, AT&T, The ghost of Mildred "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias.

Message Edited by Pip on 04-26-2009 11:49 PM
Message 9 of 28
Master

If they would go ahead and at least implement a usage meter that is accessible by the consumer so he or she could at least have an idea where

they stand on a monthly basis then a lot of fear may be set aside right now we are all in the dark as far as our monthly consumption. 

Message 10 of 28

I love caps!!!!
Message 11 of 28
Master

oz wrote:

If they would go ahead and at least implement a usage meter that is accessible by the consumer so he or she could at least have an idea where

they stand on a monthly basis then a lot of fear may be set aside right now we are all in the dark as far as our monthly consumption. 

Actually, they do, but unless your area is already subjected to the caps, it isn't working. Here is the message I get when accessing that page.

Not available
We're sorry but the system cannot retrieve Internet usage for this date.

https://uversecentral1.att.com/uvp/myhome/broadbandusage

You must be logged in for it to work. :smileywink:

Message 12 of 28
Master

@pip wrote:

@oz wrote:

Actually, they do, but unless your area is already subjected to the caps, it isn't working. Here is the message I get when accessing that page.

Not available
We're sorry but the system cannot retrieve Internet usage for this date.  

https://uversecentral1.att.com/uvp/myhome/broadbandusage

You must be logged in for it to work. :smileywink:

I tried that also and got the same message hoping to get an idea I mean if the cap is 80 and I only use 50 a month then personally I have no beef since my computer activities hardly change from month to month but if I am using 90 or 100 now i have a problem change my habits,provider or bump up my package thats not a win for me.

Message 13 of 28
Expert

Think the OfficIal group is a bunch of high schoolers...maybe this post is a class project?
Message 14 of 28

Yeah.. A group of high school activists who are doing community service.
Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support