Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 3, 2011
7:31:11 PM
No DVR use with service outage-No recordings with TV unplugged

First of all I did search for any previous post on this and found one reference made by RCSMG: "if you lose your connection to ATT you won't be able to watch the recorded programs on your dvr." I have had service for almost 2 yrs and have had a few outages and found that I cannot watch recorded programs during an outage. I don't know about other services but with Dish Network you can. The other thing seems completely illogical:  the DVR will not record with the TV unplugged. I found this out after going to Alaska for 6 weeks and unplugging my then new 55" Samsung "just in case". I had a gatway failure today and to give the devil there due ATT service was here within 45 minutes of calling. Comcast take note LOL. I asked the tech about both and he wasn't aware of either issue so he called another tech who also was unaware of either issue. I am not a total noob. I was a network tech and a Senior Service Engineer for Motorola. Any info would be appreciated.

First of all I did search for any previous post on this and found one reference made by RCSMG: "if you lose your connection to ATT you won't be able to watch the recorded programs on your dvr." I have had service for almost 2 yrs and have had a few outages and found that I cannot watch recorded programs during an outage. I don't know about other services but with Dish Network you can. The other thing seems completely illogical:  the DVR will not record with the TV unplugged. I found this out after going to Alaska for 6 weeks and unplugging my then new 55" Samsung "just in case". I had a gatway failure today and to give the devil there due ATT service was here within 45 minutes of calling. Comcast take note LOL. I asked the tech about both and he wasn't aware of either issue so he called another tech who also was unaware of either issue. I am not a total noob. I was a network tech and a Senior Service Engineer for Motorola. Any info would be appreciated.

No DVR use with service outage-No recordings with TV unplugged

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2011 7:35:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I came from DTV and I still watch recordings that are on my DTV dvr.  It would we could watch recorded programs in the event of a losss of service.  The dvrs access the servers at ATT.  I don't know the particulars involved, but hang in there.  Somone will be around to give you a more accurate description of how this system works.

I came from DTV and I still watch recordings that are on my DTV dvr.  It would we could watch recorded programs in the event of a losss of service.  The dvrs access the servers at ATT.  I don't know the particulars involved, but hang in there.  Somone will be around to give you a more accurate description of how this system works.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: No DVR use with service outage-No recordings with TV unplugged

2 of 3 (1,065 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 5:47:23 PM
(0)
Professor

IIRC, the DVR recordings use an "active" digital rights management for playback, meaning that they need to phone home in order to get authorization for playback.  I believe this is in place to discourage piracy.  The difference between Uverse and the other guys is that users can hack and extract the video files from the other providers DVR's.

Don't blame AT&T for this, blame you local file "sharer".

IIRC, the DVR recordings use an "active" digital rights management for playback, meaning that they need to phone home in order to get authorization for playback.  I believe this is in place to discourage piracy.  The difference between Uverse and the other guys is that users can hack and extract the video files from the other providers DVR's.

Don't blame AT&T for this, blame you local file "sharer".

Re: No DVR use with service outage-No recordings with TV unplugged

3 of 3 (1,010 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments