Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 30, 2008
11:06:21 AM
News Group (NNTP) Server Access
Anybody have any idea when we will be getting access to the SBCGlobal NNTP server through Uverse?  Last time I tried, it won't work because I don't have a .sbcglobal.net ID.
Anybody have any idea when we will be getting access to the SBCGlobal NNTP server through Uverse?  Last time I tried, it won't work because I don't have a .sbcglobal.net ID.

News Group (NNTP) Server Access

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2008 11:32:17 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have access to the following sbcglobal.net NNTP Server and I am log on with my swbell.net E-Mail address.

news.houston.sbcglobal.net

I have access to the following sbcglobal.net NNTP Server and I am log on with my swbell.net E-Mail address.

news.houston.sbcglobal.net

Re: News Group (NNTP) Server Access

2 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2009 2:32:08 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'm glad it works for you.  Unfortunately, I only have an att.net ID, and that generates a "502 Authentication Error" when I try to access either the Houston or Dallas NNTP Server that belongs to SBCGlobal (even though they are supposed to be the same companyas ATT).  I guess someone high up in the SBCGlobal 'empire' decided to 'screw the att.net people' (and that's probably exactly what he said in the meeting where it came up).
I'm glad it works for you.  Unfortunately, I only have an att.net ID, and that generates a "502 Authentication Error" when I try to access either the Houston or Dallas NNTP Server that belongs to SBCGlobal (even though they are supposed to be the same companyas ATT).  I guess someone high up in the SBCGlobal 'empire' decided to 'screw the att.net people' (and that's probably exactly what he said in the meeting where it came up).

3 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2009 5:55:37 PM
(0)
Master

kennygr4414 wrote:

kenny   thats not true !!!!  att.net worked here for me in houston market (have not tried lately)

what market are u in  btw  (have seen were brand new markets didnt work right off at launch)  fwiw

randy

kennygr4414 wrote:

kenny   thats not true !!!!  att.net worked here for me in houston market (have not tried lately)

what market are u in  btw  (have seen were brand new markets didnt work right off at launch)  fwiw

randy

4 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2009 9:47:32 AM
(0)
Guru

AT&T newsgroups are heavily filtered and are very light on retention time so don’t bother getting connected to them:smileymad:

AT&T newsgroups are heavily filtered and are very light on retention time so don’t bother getting connected to them:smileymad:

5 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2009 6:52:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

Randyl,

I wish it were not true, but I tried it again this morning (1/3/09) and got the same "502 Authentication Error".

Just for grins, try your ID again and let me know if it works for you.  If it DOES, then I get to raise hell with ATT Tech Supt (level 2) who told me they couldn't get it to work either, and that it had something to do with Uverse customers connecting to the SBCGlobal network (and I bought the excuse).

Thanks,

Ken

Randyl,

I wish it were not true, but I tried it again this morning (1/3/09) and got the same "502 Authentication Error".

Just for grins, try your ID again and let me know if it works for you.  If it DOES, then I get to raise hell with ATT Tech Supt (level 2) who told me they couldn't get it to work either, and that it had something to do with Uverse customers connecting to the SBCGlobal network (and I bought the excuse).

Thanks,

Ken

6 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2009 6:55:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

TimS,

Which NNTP Sever would you suggest?  Unfortunately, I'm retired, on a fixed income (that isn't enough) and can't afford to pay for the access.  If you know of a free sever that I can access, I'd be more than happy to use it.

Thanks,

Ken

Message Edited by kennygr4414 on 01-03-2009 06:56 PM

TimS,

Which NNTP Sever would you suggest?  Unfortunately, I'm retired, on a fixed income (that isn't enough) and can't afford to pay for the access.  If you know of a free sever that I can access, I'd be more than happy to use it.

Thanks,

Ken

Message Edited by kennygr4414 on 01-03-2009 06:56 PM

7 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2009 8:04:44 PM
(0)
Master

kennygr4414 wrote:

Randyl,

Thanks,

Ken

still connects   fwiw

kennygr4414 wrote:

Randyl,

Thanks,

Ken

still connects   fwiw

8 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2009 8:58:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

Randyl,

Thanks for trying it again.  Are you connecting via UVERSE or regular DSL?  I'm asking because I suspect my problem may have something to do with either the protocols used when the connection goes between the fibre optic and the copper cables (regular DSL uses copper to connect all the way to the local CO but Uverse either uses no copper or uses copper only to the curb/street) OR someone at SBC has decided to discriminate against the people who are paying for a Uverse account (he may be feeling that Uverse is the future and DSL will go away).

Thanks for checking your access!

Ken

Randyl,

Thanks for trying it again.  Are you connecting via UVERSE or regular DSL?  I'm asking because I suspect my problem may have something to do with either the protocols used when the connection goes between the fibre optic and the copper cables (regular DSL uses copper to connect all the way to the local CO but Uverse either uses no copper or uses copper only to the curb/street) OR someone at SBC has decided to discriminate against the people who are paying for a Uverse account (he may be feeling that Uverse is the future and DSL will go away).

Thanks for checking your access!

Ken

9 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2009 9:12:55 AM
(0)
Master

uverse  ken or i wouldnt have said it worked !

uverse  ken or i wouldnt have said it worked !

10 of 14 (2,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2009 10:13:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

RandyL,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll set up my NewsNet reader and see if I can get in.  If it fails again, I'll DL the same reader you are using and see if I can get in that way.  If it STILL doesn't work, I'll have a (probably not very pleasant for them) little discussion with the Tier 2 (or 3...) Tech Supt group at AT&T.

Thanks again,

Ken

(PS, this morning, I'm getting in via the AVIfinder server though I'm not quite sure why?????)

RandyL,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll set up my NewsNet reader and see if I can get in.  If it fails again, I'll DL the same reader you are using and see if I can get in that way.  If it STILL doesn't work, I'll have a (probably not very pleasant for them) little discussion with the Tier 2 (or 3...) Tech Supt group at AT&T.

Thanks again,

Ken

(PS, this morning, I'm getting in via the AVIfinder server though I'm not quite sure why?????)

11 of 14 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2009 10:08:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Any luck?

I'm a new Uverse customer and didn't realize newsgroups are barely supported.

So far i can't get in. I'm following the directions using server inetnews.worldnet.att.net, port 563, wich seems to be right. But I put in my att.net email and password and it gives me the "invalid user name or password" error.  I tried news.sf.sbcglobal.net as well, and it just timed out there.

Is there really so little people that use newsgroups anymore?

Bryan in Oakland

Message Edited by blgros on 02-16-2009 10:09 PM

Any luck?

I'm a new Uverse customer and didn't realize newsgroups are barely supported.

So far i can't get in. I'm following the directions using server inetnews.worldnet.att.net, port 563, wich seems to be right. But I put in my att.net email and password and it gives me the "invalid user name or password" error.  I tried news.sf.sbcglobal.net as well, and it just timed out there.

Is there really so little people that use newsgroups anymore?

Bryan in Oakland

Message Edited by blgros on 02-16-2009 10:09 PM

12 of 14 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2009 5:45:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Actually, I don't believe that non-use of the Newsgroups is the issue, although I'm sure AT&T would like you to belive that.  It appears to me that SBCGlobal decided that, since there are only a million or so (now) Uverse users, they are not going to acknowledge them as legitimate users on the NNTP servers.  From SBCGlobal's standpoint, to support another million users would mean more entries into their user database, which equates to more disk space used, and, since x-percentage of those users would actually want to POST in the various Newsgroups, that also would mean they would need more disk space on the NNTP servers.  While this space would probably not amount to more than would fit onto the average PC hard drive, SBCGlobal doesn't want to spend any money at this time, due to the poor economy.

Their revenues have been hurt in the past few decades because of competition.  This was caused by numerous businessmen realizing that it actually doesn't cost anything to make a telephone call anywhere in the world.  True, there is equipment to be purchased, but that is all written off their taxes over time (in other words, effectively the population of the US pays for it).  And, also true, there are costs for installation and maintainance of the equipment, but that, too, is written off their taxes.  Then you have other personnel costs involved with processing all of the billing and payments made by their many customers.  This has always been viewed as the 'cost of doing business', but that doesn't 'cut any ice' with the SBCGlobal folks.  They would actually prefer to have a business where people pay them for providing nothing, but, since they enjoy technology, playing with new technical toys and diagnosing deep technical problems, they stay in the Telephone business instead of opening up an insurance business.

That's my view, and I'm sticking to it.  It is probably a cynical view, but I'm an old fart and have learned that if it sounds cynical, it's probably true.

Actually, I don't believe that non-use of the Newsgroups is the issue, although I'm sure AT&T would like you to belive that.  It appears to me that SBCGlobal decided that, since there are only a million or so (now) Uverse users, they are not going to acknowledge them as legitimate users on the NNTP servers.  From SBCGlobal's standpoint, to support another million users would mean more entries into their user database, which equates to more disk space used, and, since x-percentage of those users would actually want to POST in the various Newsgroups, that also would mean they would need more disk space on the NNTP servers.  While this space would probably not amount to more than would fit onto the average PC hard drive, SBCGlobal doesn't want to spend any money at this time, due to the poor economy.

Their revenues have been hurt in the past few decades because of competition.  This was caused by numerous businessmen realizing that it actually doesn't cost anything to make a telephone call anywhere in the world.  True, there is equipment to be purchased, but that is all written off their taxes over time (in other words, effectively the population of the US pays for it).  And, also true, there are costs for installation and maintainance of the equipment, but that, too, is written off their taxes.  Then you have other personnel costs involved with processing all of the billing and payments made by their many customers.  This has always been viewed as the 'cost of doing business', but that doesn't 'cut any ice' with the SBCGlobal folks.  They would actually prefer to have a business where people pay them for providing nothing, but, since they enjoy technology, playing with new technical toys and diagnosing deep technical problems, they stay in the Telephone business instead of opening up an insurance business.

That's my view, and I'm sticking to it.  It is probably a cynical view, but I'm an old fart and have learned that if it sounds cynical, it's probably true.

13 of 14 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 4:27:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

So what is the answer to this?

Anyone know the NNTP server for @att.net users?

So what is the answer to this?

Anyone know the NNTP server for @att.net users?

14 of 14 (1,740 Views)