New uverse installation questions

New uverse installation questions

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board but when decided to get uverse I came here to read up on whAt people are saying and experiencing with their service. I have a few questions. I am getting the dvr which service the entire home. Im seeing some people say they have 3HD/1SD so I hope I can be this lucky. Now from what I have read the main dvr goes connected via cat5 to modem. Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that the other STB go connected coaxial. I was reading on the forums that someone was having freezing problems on one of his STB. He said he changed over from coaxial to cat5e and it solved his problem. Should I ask the tech to just install all STB cat5? Are somE of you guys on coaxial and not experiencing any problems? Last question is on my Internet. I currently have the 24mbps service. When they installed the uverse for my Internet the guy said I was close to the box whatever that means. Now when Im watching uverse is that going to affect my Internet speeds? Thanks guys for your help.
Message 1 of 7 (792 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: New uverse installation questions

robbyrob wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm new to the board but when decided to get uverse I came here to read up on whAt people are saying and experiencing with their service. I have a few questions. I am getting the dvr which service the entire home. Im seeing some people say they have 3HD/1SD so I hope I can be this lucky. Now from what I have read the main dvr goes connected via cat5 to modem. Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that the other STB go connected coaxial. I was reading on the forums that someone was having freezing problems on one of his STB. He said he changed over from coaxial to cat5e and it solved his problem. Should I ask the tech to just install all STB cat5? Are somE of you guys on coaxial and not experiencing any problems? Last question is on my Internet. I currently have the 24mbps service. When they installed the uverse for my Internet the guy said I was close to the box whatever that means. Now when Im watching uverse is that going to affect my Internet speeds? Thanks guys for your help.

If you can go cat5e, do it, coax is acceptable, but not preferred for Uverse.  Too many problems w/coax installs, things that can go wrong. 

If you could install cat5e yourself and leave ends w/o connectors the prem tech could install, you'd end up better than using current coax.

You should get 3HD if you now get 24M internet, you are close to the VRAD.  Good luck on your install. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (792 Views)

Chris thanks for your quick response. i see you're all over this place on here. just a quick question. When you say if i could go cat5e do you mean to request this from my installer or to go get some before the installation date? Meaning does U-verse usually install the cat5 or is this something we do on our end for better PQ? thanks for your help.

edit: ok i did read the part you said if i can install it myself. sorry read this fast was at work. Will U-Verse do it if I ask or is this somethin thats on my end. meaning since they are coming in 2 days I get paid in 2 weeks I might have to do this after install if they wont do it. just curious. Also does the U-verse pull any bandwidth from my internet connection to work? I work from home and do a lot of computer meetings, upload spreadsheets, and multimedia files etc.

Message 3 of 7 (792 Views)
ACE - Expert

If you have the prem tech install cat5e, they may charge you per room or may not charge, depends on the prem tech. 

W/24M internet, if you are using live 3HD, you might see it drop back a bit as TV always has priority over internet.  Remember, you'll only have 32M download available and each HD stream is about 6M, SD 2M.  So do the math for each possibility and you'll see how much internet will go down. :smileywink:

Edit:  Better PQ w/cat5e?  Definitely better w/cat5e run from the NID to RG for sure.  I have all cat5e/ethernet patch cableinstall and haven't had any connection problems for more than 2 years.  Have very good HD PQ, I'm a cat5e fan, made sure there was no coax before my install (was just one 10' length, we used to pull cat5e thru the wall to the RG).

Good glossary: http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=glossary

Good FAQ: http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=faq

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (792 Views)

thanks my man. that put it in perspective for me! I appreciate it. Time to read the glossary and FAQ.

-rob

Message 5 of 7 (792 Views)

The cat5 won't give you better PQ but it could prevent issues that will cause freezing and pixelation.  In a way that could be considered better PQ :smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 7 (792 Views)

thanks guys for clearing that up. Im actually remembering when I got the internet installed and the guy told me he ran cat5 from my phone jack to the RG for better speeds he said. I actually remembering him now saying if in the future i would get VOIP or TV to ask for cat5 so when the installer comes I hope he doesnt give me a hard time.

Message 7 of 7 (792 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.