New router now have different U-verse realtime stats??

Teacher

New router now have different U-verse realtime stats??

[ Edited ]

I had a tech come out today to attempt to get 18 Mbps speeds yet again, with no luck.  Tried a port swap outside, and the second tech replaced my router with the new model.  My max rate speed seems to have gone up to 46 Mbps, which is all good, but my noise is now red and it says I am overcomitted.  Would the new router cause this?  After the port swap and before the router I was at 45Mbps and nothing was in red.  Here are my stats, make sure you check the 12/8 images. I'm about at my wits end with this, if I am getting that rate, why on earth can't I get faster internet speed than 9 Mbps??  The second tech mentioned there was a different gauge from the crossbox but it wouldn't be until 2 weeks that someone even looks at that.  Should I just give up or is there hope?  I believe I have 30 days to cancel without having to pay $180 early termination and that is in a couple of days.  I'm not sure what to do and I am getting tired of having techs come out and I know they are tired of sending them.  Any insight is appreciated!

Here are my images...

U-Verse Realtime Images

Station to Station HPNA Performance     PHY Rate (Mbps)     SNR (dB)     Rx Power Level - dB     Packet Error
1 > 2     3c:ea:4f:d4:89:0a     48:44:87:d4:7e:49     112     41.9     -9.1     0
1 > 3     3c:ea:4f:d4:89:0a     48:44:87:d4:bb:2d     112     41.9     -9.1     0
2 > 1     48:44:87:d4:7e:49     3c:ea:4f:d4:89:0a     128     40.8     -7.0     0
2 > 3     48:44:87:d4:7e:49     48:44:87:d4:bb:2d     112     41.9     -6.5     0
3 > 1     48:44:87:d4:bb:2d     3c:ea:4f:d4:89:0a     128     41.2     -7.4     0
3 > 2     48:44:87:d4:bb:2d     48:44:87:d4:7e:49     112     41.9     -7.2     0

Message 1 of 13 (2,803 Views)
Expert

Re: New router now have different U-verse realtime stats??

The new router you have is a 3801HGV.  The 3801HGV's report their line stats such as bitloading a little bit differently than the 3800HGV-B which you had, and this is throwing off the bit allocation calculations in U-Verse Realtime.

I think your line is actually running OK and it actually is not overcommitted.  I will have to make some adjustments to how U-Verse Realtime reports 3801HGV stats in the next version.

With your profile, you should be able to get any Internet speed offered, including up to 24/3.

Message 2 of 13 (2,714 Views)
Scholar

SomeJoe let me know if you need access to a 3801 to do your updates.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 3 of 13 (2,678 Views)
Expert

Yes, I wish I had some technical data from 2Wire on the differences in operation between the 3800HGV-B and the 3801HGV.  I've been able to determine from my line stats database a possible scenario for the 3801HGV's operation.

If the bitloading report on the 3801HGV is accurate, then it appears that the 3801HGV is "overallocating" the line beyond what is required to carry the assigned VDSL line profile.  I assume it may be doing this as an additional safety factor against impulse line noise.

For example, with an FEC ratio of 5:4 (normal for all profiles), the 3800HGV-B will allocate enough bits to carry 40 Mbps downstream when the assigned profile is 32 Mbps.  When the FEC overhead is taken out, this leaves exactly 32 Mbps allocated on the line.  If impulse noise periodically reduces what the line can carry, then there are brief periods where the line can't carry 32 Mbps, and FEC has to come into play or uncorrected blocks (CRC errors) occur.

On the 3801HGV, if there is an assigned profile of 32 Mbps (requires a raw line rate of 40 Mbps for 5:4  FEC overhead), the 3801HGV actually allocates 50 Mbps on the line (20% higher than required), resulting in a user line rate after FEC is taken out of 40 Mbps.  This is 8 Mbps more than the line needs to carry (32 Mbps).  Now if there is impulse noise that briefly reduces the line rate, there is essentially 8 Mbps of cushion before FEC even needs to be used.

In some cases, the 3801HGV will run into the max rate limit, and can't allocate 20% more than the line requires, in which case it allocates as much as it can.

While this approach makes for a more reliable transport on the VDSL line over the 3800HGV-B, the disadvantage is that it increases cross-talk in the cable bundle due to additional frequencies being allocated but not always used.

Again, this is my estimate for what the 3801HGV is doing.  I'm going to examine my line stats in more detail this weekend and see if this holds true.  I have about 75 entries in the line stats database for 3801HGV's which should be enough to test if this theory holds.  If it does, I'll program this into the next version of UVRT.

The i3812V (iNID) appears to do the same thing, so I probably will have to change the logic there as well.  I have about 125 iNID's in the database, so that's more data to analyze.

Message 4 of 13 (2,670 Views)
Teacher

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The new router you have is a 3801HGV.  The 3801HGV's report their line stats such as bitloading a little bit differently than the 3800HGV-B which you had, and this is throwing off the bit allocation calculations in U-Verse Realtime.

I think your line is actually running OK and it actually is not overcommitted.  I will have to make some adjustments to how U-Verse Realtime reports 3801HGV stats in the next version.

With your profile, you should be able to get any Internet speed offered, including up to 24/3.

Thanks SomeJoe, glad to hear that.  Since I've had at least 3 different techs out to my place all trying different things (port swap, new router, etc.), am I just not able to get anything above 9Mbps or so that I was only able to max out at on speedtest.net?  I am still working with Matt from these forums trying to reach a solution but I don't know what else it would be if my max rate that it's syncing with the vrad is within limits of getting 18Mbps or 24Mbps speed.  Is it worth still trying to figure out?  The tech said yesterday I was just too far from the vrad but that doesn't make sense if I can communicate with it at 46Mbps right?

Message 5 of 13 (2,608 Views)
Scholar

It's not just about the speed you are connecting at, but the distance.  Labs rates the various speed profiles based on not only rate, connection speed, but also reach, distance from VRAD.  While you may be connecting at 46mbps on the 25mbps profile that can immediately change if you are upgraded to the 32mbps profile.  The 32mbps profile is more sensitive to line noise, impedence, etc. than the 25mbps profile. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

Message 6 of 13 (2,601 Views)
Teacher

txnroger wrote:

It's not just about the speed you are connecting at, but the distance.  Labs rates the various speed profiles based on not only rate, connection speed, but also reach, distance from VRAD.  While you may be connecting at 46mbps on the 25mbps profile that can immediately change if you are upgraded to the 32mbps profile.  The 32mbps profile is more sensitive to line noise, impedence, etc. than the 25mbps profile. 

Ok, but if I am on the 32 profile connected at 46mbps, shouldn't I be able to achieve 18Mbps internet speed?  Why would they even offer this option if I can't? 

Message 7 of 13 (2,588 Views)
Teacher

They came back out again and now my realtime stats are back down to 38Mbps!!!! Ugh, what affects this?  Do I get a new speed every time the router is rebooted or is it a port swap or something else?  I actually had better speed to the vrad at 46Mbps before they even came out this time.  Very frustrating.  They called and said it could be an "ordering" issue as to why  my internet is slow and are pushing it up the chain.  I am concerned though that I lost 8Mbps sync speed to the box though with this latest try!

Message 8 of 13 (2,370 Views)
Expert

You might be getting an interference that's related to time of day.

Some AM radio stations, for instance, are licensed with a higher transmit power during the day than at night.  If one of these stations is near you, the max sync rate you get could be dependent on whether the last router reboot was during the day or at night.

Message 9 of 13 (2,356 Views)
Teacher

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

You might be getting an interference that's related to time of day.

Some AM radio stations, for instance, are licensed with a higher transmit power during the day than at night.  If one of these stations is near you, the max sync rate you get could be dependent on whether the last router reboot was during the day or at night.

Thanks SomeJoe, so a port swap or anything like that wouldn't affect it?  I keep logging into realtime and it has stuck right around 38-39 now.  I guess I can try another reboot at a different time.

Message 10 of 13 (2,315 Views)
Expert

A port swap probably wouldn't do anything for you unless there's a problem with the VRAD itself.  This is highly unlikely but I've seen it once or twice before.  But usually, a problem like that shows up in other ways.

I definitely think there's an interference issue with your line.  Sometimes you can find and remove the source of the interference, sometimes you can't.

Message 11 of 13 (1,113 Views)
Scholar

You should be able to achieve the Mbps speed, but if you impedance or noise on the line that can cause you to not achieve that speed.

Has a tech come back out yet to take a look at your line again?

Message 12 of 13 (1,101 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

There have been 4 techs out, and a mgr came yesterday.  He actually took the RG out to the vrad to check and now is turning the issue to the network team as he wasn't even able to get over 10Mbps at the vrad. 

I'm not sure what else he did as I wasn't there but my realtime stats are now different which is a bit concerning.  Tier 2 says I should still be fine for 32/5 and has been in contact with the mgr who came out, but I just felt better when I had 46Mbps max rate rather than the 38-39 I'm getting now.

Here's my history, since I've been trying to figure out my slower internet --

First installed, was seeing 36 Mbps max rate

Tech visit -- replaced something at home and was up to 40 Mbps

2nd Tech visit -- replaced a pair and was up to 46 Mbps

3rd Tech visit -- port swap and replaced RG -- was up ot 47 Mbps

4th Tech visit did nothing since they sent the wrong type of tech out

Manager visit -- Took RG to vrad, not sure what else. -- now only show 38-39Mbps

I have tried rebooting the router at different times and I am stuck around this speed.  My bitloading tab also looks worse than it did, but I'm not really getting errors or anything.  Just trying to figure out what else he could have done?  They have all claimed the line from my house to vrad is fine.  Is it that finnicky to go from 46-38 without doing anything? I had been checking daily and it was staying at 46 for over a week.

Message 13 of 13 (1,093 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.