New firmware

Scholar

New firmware

Anybody know what the new firmware does? I believe its 4.5.6.

Message 1 of 13 (765 Views)
Expert

Re: New firmware

Message 2 of 13 (765 Views)
Teacher

I noticed my DVR did an automatic update last night.  Weird thing is when it was done I noticed the colors looked different and the picture seemed washed out like the brightness was way too high.  I switched the RGB range but that only made it worse so I put it back to the way it was before.  I thought maybe it was my imagination but the next day my wife and kids noticed it and I didn't say anything.  I fiddled around with the picture settings and got it looking better again but I wouldn't say it's improved from before the update.  Anyone else notice this?

Message 3 of 13 (765 Views)
Scholar

taylor2767 wrote:

Anybody know what the new firmware does? I believe its 4.5.6.

It crashes more.

Yeah, I know, wise guy remark.  But I'm serious.  I never had a hang or reset in 3 months before this upgrade.  Now it can't stay up for more than a few days without a freeze and reboot.  And my first reboot resulted in lost recordings.  I've had 3 reboots since then, recordings retained.

Message 4 of 13 (765 Views)
Mentor

Most software companies have a WHATSNEW.TXT, or a README.TXT, not a Press Release,

to describe what the precise changes actually were.

I notice that my memory load is no longer in th 80+ or 90+ % range.

After a Reboot, it is in the 60+ % range, and it eventually goes up to the 70+ % range, and stays there.

So there was some memory usage optimizations in

Client Ver 1.6.25334.10 (RELEASE)

UI: 4.5.6

?

And my Call History app has not hung since this new/recent update.

Maybe they fixed it.

Message 5 of 13 (765 Views)
Expert

Nate2 wrote:

Most software companies have a WHATSNEW.TXT, or a README.TXT, not a Press Release,

to describe what the precise changes actually were.

I notice that my memory load is no longer in th 80+ or 90+ % range.

After a Reboot, it is in the 60+ % range, and it eventually goes up to the 70+ % range, and stays there.

So there was some memory usage optimizations in

Client Ver 1.6.25334.10 (RELEASE)

UI: 4.5.6

?

And my Call History app has not hung since this new/recent update.

Maybe they fixed it. 

AT&T is not a software company.  How do the other TV provider notify customer of sofware/firmware changes to their equipment?

Message 6 of 13 (765 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

AT&T is not a software company.  How do the other TV provider notify customer of sofware/firmware changes to their equipment?

Ever used System V Unix? :smileyhappy:

I think AT&T should follow the excellent example of documenting software version updates, like the Version History one sees in the U-Verse Realtime software package.

Message 7 of 13 (765 Views)
Expert

Nate2 wrote:

Ever used System V Unix? :smileyhappy:

I think AT&T should follow the excellent example of documenting software version updates, like the Version History one sees in the U-Verse Realtime software package. 

Is System V Unix a TV Provider?

How does DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, etc. handle notifying customers of sofware/firmware changes to it's equipment?

Message 8 of 13 (765 Views)
ACE - Expert

On Dish, can watch Charlie Chats monthly and Tech forum, every 3rd month, to find about everything coming down the pike months in advance.  Users can call in and make suggestions about service and equipment.  After 8 years on Dish, I can say they put some of those suggestions into service/equipment.  Wish ATT could do something like that concerning Uverse. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 13 (765 Views)
Teacher

Yep...that's one thing they did and many liked so to keep everyone in the loop. We were with DISH for a good 12+ years...all the way back when D.D 5.1 first appeared via optic.

But DISH, DTV, Comcast....all have been around a lot longer than U-Verse which prtty much has hit the ground running. DISh and DTV just had to worry about about one thing...TV. With U-Verse it's TV, Internet and Voice so it's still some growing pains. Plus face it....we live in a world of constant  "I want....".

But it would cool to have some "faces" to sit down and say, "this is what's going on, this is what were working on and the future looks bright".

Message 10 of 13 (765 Views)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

On Dish, can watch Charlie Chats monthly and Tech forum, every 3rd month, to find about everything coming down the pike months in advance.  Users can call in and make suggestions about service and equipment.  After 8 years on Dish, I can say they put some of those suggestions into service/equipment.  Wish ATT could do something like that concerning Uverse. :smileywink:

Randall Stephenson could do that for AT&T but he would tell us what AT&T has already rolled out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 13 (514 Views)
Mentor

And we are assuming AT&T actually has future plans to talk about.  :smileysad:

Does copper have a future?

Glynne

Message 12 of 13 (514 Views)
Expert

Glynne wrote:

And we are assuming AT&T actually has future plans to talk about.  :smileysad:

Does copper have a future?

Never underestimate advances in technology.

Phantom circuits and vectoring can bring VDSL2 to 300Mbps.

Message 13 of 13 (514 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.