Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Jul 15, 2010
5:25:49 AM
View profile
New customer, all is well, but can't reach one website

Hello all,

New U-verse install here at the beginning of July. All is well, actually better than expected. Speed and connections are solid. Features, price and UI are a pleasant change from Comcast.

Except for one thing:

We can't reach http://www.physorg.com via our HSI connection.

If my iPhone is connected via Wi-Fi to the U-verse HSI, the site just times out. If I switch to 3G, it loads up, no problem.

Desktop computer (with DNS cache flushed) is connected directly to the gateway right now, and there's no change. We're normally using a white AirPort Extreme for Wi-FI and NAT, but it cannot block sites by IP or name anyway.

I can't seem to paste a traceroute here without getting a forbidden HTML error, but it gets to 

8  ex3-g1-1-2.eqsjca.sbcglobal.net (151.164.46.14)

...then 

9  las-bb1-link.telia.net (80.91.252.221)

...then a few more hops to 

13  v14.esr2.c3.lga6.us.voxel.net (208.122.44.22)

...before it just goes into endless * * * from hop 14 on

Strange, no? Just that one website so far. I never saw anything like this with many years of Comcast (and all its previous owners back to TCI). Any ideas?

G

Hello all,

New U-verse install here at the beginning of July. All is well, actually better than expected. Speed and connections are solid. Features, price and UI are a pleasant change from Comcast.

Except for one thing:

We can't reach http://www.physorg.com via our HSI connection.

If my iPhone is connected via Wi-Fi to the U-verse HSI, the site just times out. If I switch to 3G, it loads up, no problem.

Desktop computer (with DNS cache flushed) is connected directly to the gateway right now, and there's no change. We're normally using a white AirPort Extreme for Wi-FI and NAT, but it cannot block sites by IP or name anyway.

I can't seem to paste a traceroute here without getting a forbidden HTML error, but it gets to 

8  ex3-g1-1-2.eqsjca.sbcglobal.net (151.164.46.14)

...then 

9  las-bb1-link.telia.net (80.91.252.221)

...then a few more hops to 

13  v14.esr2.c3.lga6.us.voxel.net (208.122.44.22)

...before it just goes into endless * * * from hop 14 on

Strange, no? Just that one website so far. I never saw anything like this with many years of Comcast (and all its previous owners back to TCI). Any ideas?

G

New customer, all is well, but can't reach one website

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 5:56:52 AM
(0)
Professor

I just tried the site on my desktop without a hitch. Maybe check your firewall/security settings?

I just tried the site on my desktop without a hitch. Maybe check your firewall/security settings?

Re: New customer, all is well, but can't reach one website

2 of 7 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 6:16:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

Done. There's no firewall on the iPhone (and it works when switched to 3G). No specific firewall on the desktop computers (all Macs). Our router doesn't do specific site/IP blocking, but I connected one computer directly to the U-verse gateway for testing anyway. No custom settings on the gateway's firewall.

I have friends on U-verse in southern California who have no trouble reaching that site, either. Didn't mean to imply that it was only an AT&T issue.

I'm contacting the site to see if they, or their host, are blocking IPs for some reason. U-verse is new to this neighborhood, so I guess it's possible we inherited some IP addresses with a bad reputation.

Done. There's no firewall on the iPhone (and it works when switched to 3G). No specific firewall on the desktop computers (all Macs). Our router doesn't do specific site/IP blocking, but I connected one computer directly to the U-verse gateway for testing anyway. No custom settings on the gateway's firewall.

I have friends on U-verse in southern California who have no trouble reaching that site, either. Didn't mean to imply that it was only an AT&T issue.

I'm contacting the site to see if they, or their host, are blocking IPs for some reason. U-verse is new to this neighborhood, so I guess it's possible we inherited some IP addresses with a bad reputation.

3 of 7 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 10:03:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

It sounds like an internet router between you and that site is having issues. 

If the path your route takes between you and that website falls on a dead router you'll get exactly what you're getting.  Your iPhone on 3G uses a totally different routing path than your PC almost guaranteed. 

It sounds like an internet router between you and that site is having issues. 

If the path your route takes between you and that website falls on a dead router you'll get exactly what you're getting.  Your iPhone on 3G uses a totally different routing path than your PC almost guaranteed. 

4 of 7 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 10:18:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

Agreed.

I just heard back from physorg.com: Voxel.net is their web host, and they are forwarding my traceroute to their tech guys. Still a little weird that my home HSI path gets all the way into their network, then fails at the last hop(s) for whatever reason, but it's definitely their problem.

Agreed.

I just heard back from physorg.com: Voxel.net is their web host, and they are forwarding my traceroute to their tech guys. Still a little weird that my home HSI path gets all the way into their network, then fails at the last hop(s) for whatever reason, but it's definitely their problem.

5 of 7 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 2:46:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

Follow up from one of Physorg's customer support guys (we still cannot reach the site):

Tech folks figured out where the problem is, referred to it as "uncommon network issues". :smileyhappy: They are looking for an optimum solution and hoped the first approach would help, but apparently it didn't. I hope they'll fix it soon. I'll let you know.

So far, the only other website we cannot reach from here is p0.com. That's usually just a marketing hub, which isn't a big deal until someone sends you an email with a link that you actually do want to get to.

Follow up from one of Physorg's customer support guys (we still cannot reach the site):

Tech folks figured out where the problem is, referred to it as "uncommon network issues". :smileyhappy: They are looking for an optimum solution and hoped the first approach would help, but apparently it didn't. I hope they'll fix it soon. I'll let you know.

So far, the only other website we cannot reach from here is p0.com. That's usually just a marketing hub, which isn't a big deal until someone sends you an email with a link that you actually do want to get to.

6 of 7 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 7:36:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

Solved! And it was completely on their end.

After sending them a few traceroutes and pings to their site, to their host and to a few other sites hosted there, Physorg.com's "feedback" guy could only tell me:

I'm not a tech, but as far as I understood, it had to do with firewall rulesets. U-verse IP-address was blocked.

It sounds like we indeed inherited an IP address from someone unpleasant or unaware. I wish I knew what would have caused them to perma-ban a semi-dynamic IP (or range). And I hope we don't find more.

Solved! And it was completely on their end.

After sending them a few traceroutes and pings to their site, to their host and to a few other sites hosted there, Physorg.com's "feedback" guy could only tell me:

I'm not a tech, but as far as I understood, it had to do with firewall rulesets. U-verse IP-address was blocked.

It sounds like we indeed inherited an IP address from someone unpleasant or unaware. I wish I knew what would have caused them to perma-ban a semi-dynamic IP (or range). And I hope we don't find more.

7 of 7 (862 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments