New boxes for Phase 3?

Professor

New boxes for Phase 3?

Someone over on Uverse's Facebook page thinks there will be new SB's when Phase 3 rolls out.

Message 1 of 11 (2,453 Views)
Expert

Re: New boxes for Phase 3?

Post a link for us since they are public over there.

Message 2 of 11 (2,450 Views)
Professor

Message 3 of 11 (2,427 Views)
Expert

Thanks, I was there reading, but it didn't stand out.  And why do so many of those people sound familiar?

So *Debbie* just *assumed*, and the ATT guy is all over it with thinking someone here (he's using our OLD name, get with the program, dude!) or on UU has leaked some info.  Worried enough to make it sound true.

But I can't see them issuing new equipment to everyone, can you?  Look what we go through just asking for the larger HDD DVR!

OT alert--find it interesting that the 3 ATT forums' new combo link is not listed on their Info page, but buried on the Customer Care tab.  So, why are we here if FB is doing everything they need?

Message 4 of 11 (2,414 Views)
Professor

Maybe some people here don't use Facebook.

Message 5 of 11 (2,376 Views)
Expert

No doubt, but they can read there. 

Some people's names are grayed out, so is that just privacy that they can't be contacted, or a way to just post and read?

Message 6 of 11 (2,371 Views)
Scholar

As technology advances and new STBs are developed they are tested to ensure that they will work with the existing ones.  This way if you have a STB go out in your house and we have to replace it we can do that without you having to worry about interaction problems.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 7 of 11 (1,946 Views)
ACE - Expert

There was a press release a while back saying that AT&T's "next generation" STB's would no longer have the Sigma Design's chip, but would instead be based on something else.  Broadcom, I think.

Maybe that's the source of this rumor.

I found the article I read.  For what it's worth:

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=193088

However, I doubt seriously we'll see a massive replacement of the I-don't-know-how-many million STB's already deployed before we see any further enhancements.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 11 (1,939 Views)

It mostly talked about 3D television and Microsoft certification on the new chip.  Not really many technical details though.

Message 9 of 11 (1,905 Views)
Expert

I didn't see that article, but that's awesome.  The Sigma Designs chip is a capable chip, but the Broadcom BCM7405 is simply newer and faster.  It would enable the STB to do more.

In addition, I don't know if you saw the latest comment on that article page, but it reads:

In an EnergyStar filing Motorola has 3 new boxes for U-verse that uses this chip. VIP2200, VIP2232, and VIP2250. The VIP2200 has no DVR, while the 2232 and 2250 are DVR boxes. The 32 has a 320 GB HDD while the 50 has a 500 GB HDD.

So it looks like some new STBs will be on the way at some point.

Message 10 of 11 (1,859 Views)

But I'm guessing there would be little chance for existing users to upgrade?  Probably market dependent also.

Message 11 of 11 (679 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.