Ask a question

Posted Aug 1, 2009
10:45:34 PM
New Uverse Remote
AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF Remote Control

The advanced AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF Remote Control provides more range, convenience and placement flexibility than traditional infrared remotes. Product FeaturesThe Point Anywhere RF remote combines advanced features and convenience that you have come to expect from AT&T U-verse TV:

• RF remotes do not require line of sight. It can control your U-verse receiver in a media closet or behind the closed doors of your entertainment center.

• Simple plug-n-play USB adaptor, requires no power cords or bulky antennas.

• Preprogrammed codes are compatible with most major brands.The learning feature allows you to update your remote, to enjoy your home theater components without all the hassle of multiple remotes.The unique learning feature provides audio and visual feedback to guide you through the programming process.

Seems like they should have just combined this with that other Easy Find remote.  Looks interesting though, plus there is finally a use for the USB port on the set top boxes :smileywink:

44 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(44)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2009 11:09:30 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am sorry, Joe.   I didn't mean you didn't understand how it works.  Your post was clear.

The misunderstanding I had was from the initial adverstising.

"RF remotes do not require line of sight. It can control your U-verse receiver in a media closet or behind the closed doors of your entertainment center"

While this advertising is 100 percent accurate, too, it seems to imply you can have a media center or closet with closed doors.   While it is certainly possible that you will have ONLY a U-verse receiver behind those closed doors, wouldn't you guess there would be other devices there as well for which the remote would work?   I did, but guessed wrong.   It turns out that for those other devices, you need to open the doors if you wish to operate them with this remote.

The only other RF remotes I was familiar with were the Harmony remotes, that can control all devices behind closed doors .  It wasn't unreasonable to hope that the dongle not only received the RF signal to operate the STB, but also resent an IR signal to the surrounding devices like the Harmony's RF/IR extenders do.    Unfortunately, that isn't the case for the ATT RF remote's dongle..     BTW, when, before ordering, I called Uverse technical support to get clarity about the capability of this new remote ,  I was told that the remote was probably non-directional for any device within a couple of feet of the receiver.  Obviously the technical assistant hadn't used one.   Still, I will say that this remote, while not in the league of a Harmony,  still is a great value for what it does.  

Re: New Uverse Remote

31 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2009 2:31:07 PM
(0)
Expert

Yes, you're correct that the RF capabilities of this remote (and other remotes) can be misleading.

This remote can only control the U-Verse STB via RF.  All other devices it can only control with IR, thus it requires line of site to those devices.

This differs from remotes like the Harmony 890 or 900, which can control any RF-reception-capable device with RF, and other devices with IR.  Also, Logitech makes the RF extender which is an RF->IR translator that goes in the cabinet, enabling RF control of up to 4 IR-only devices.

The misconceptions/misunderstandings I think come from a general lack of knowledge of the manner of RF remote operation.  This isn't helped by the fact that manufacturers of RF remotes are less than descriptive about the devices' true capabilities.

32 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2009 12:33:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Anyone try its learning feature with an Olevia?

Errrrrr - nevermind?  "Temporarily out of stock. Availability To Be Announced soon."

Message Edited by Yankee_In_TX on 09-10-2009 12:44 PM

33 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 4:27:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

So,

Has anyone gotten one of these and tried to control the STB from an adjacent room?  I guess I'm really asking about range.  I have 2 adjacent bedrooms and would share/split the coax/ or RCA's with 2 sets.  We never use both sets at the same time.

So I'm looking to run 2 sets with the one STB.  One is an office and the other our bedroom.

TIA

34 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 3:55:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

Anyone have an idea when this new remote will be available.  It's not available in the online store at this time.:smileysad:

Karen

AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF Remote Control

35 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 10:19:53 PM
(0)
Expert
Mine works 25-35 ft. away, but because the USB dongle can't rotate left/right (only up/down), have to hold remote in a certain place to operate from my office; rest of the house it works with no problem.  Mine controls an STB that shares coax with the office TV.
When I ordered mine, it was a limited time pricing, so guess they sold out sooner than expected?

Redwing55 wrote:

So,

Has anyone gotten one of these and tried to control the STB from an adjacent room?  I guess I'm really asking about range.  I have 2 adjacent bedrooms and would share/split the coax/ or RCA's with 2 sets.  We never use both sets at the same time.

So I'm looking to run 2 sets with the one STB.  One is an office and the other our bedroom.

TIA

36 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 8:44:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks,

That's the same set up on looking at.  I see it's out of stock. Hopefully it comes back with same pricing.

37 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2009 3:02:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

The AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF remote control provides the flexibility of not having to point the remote control at the AT&T U-verse receiver in order to change channels or access any of the receiver features. The AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF remote controls the AT&T U-verse Receiver with the USB converter using RF or Radio Frequency signals. All other devices the Member may have are controlled with the IR or Infrared signals.

Benefits of the AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF remote:

• Ability to program up to 3 additional devices ( TV or DVD Player)
  • AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF remote can learn commands from the original remote controls of other devices
  • No longer does the Member have to find the right codes for the AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF remote to work
  • Ability to hide the Receiver (Set Top Box or STB) behind a closed cabinet door

Note: As long as the Member has the original remote control that came with the TV or other devices those keys can be programmed into the AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF remote control. =)

38 of 45 (2,939 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 8:58:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

hi redwing55,

I tried it throu two walls/two rooms away and it worked fine.

it actually seems that if you are too close to the usb adapter or pointing it directly at it, it doesnt work as well.

I read that putting the usb adapter at a 45 degree angle in the front usb port works best.

Also, does anyone know how to use the Learn button?

mine did not come with a manual; I called uverse and they couldnt help me because they only have info for the original remotes (for some stupid reason).

I've been googling for days trying to find something online, to no avail.

If anyone has the instruction book, I'd appreciate it if you could give me the detailed instructions on how to use the learn button.

else, you could send me a picture of it if you can.

Message Edited by carlosn27 on 11-18-2009 09:18 AM

39 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 9:09:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks,

I made the plunge.  It works great for me.  As for programming, the instructions came with it.  I'll have to find mine, but it was pretty easy to program.  We even customized ours since it didn't have the exact device codes for our equipment.

You could try googling for the instructions.  someone may have posted it somewhere.

40 of 45 (2,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 9:59:22 AM
(0)
Master

carlosn27 wrote:

hi redwing55,

I tried it throu two walls/two rooms away and it worked fine.

it actually seems that if you are too close to the usb adapter or pointing it directly at it, it doesnt work as well.

I read that putting the usb adapter at a 45 degree angle in the front usb port works best.

Also, does anyone know how to use the Learn button?

mine did not come with a manual; I called uverse and they couldnt help me because they only have info for the original remotes (for some stupid reason).

I've been googling for days trying to find something online, to no avail.

If anyone has the instruction book, I'd appreciate it if you could give me the detailed instructions on how to use the learn button.

else, you could send me a picture of it if you can.

Message Edited by carlosn27 on 11-18-2009 09:18 AM

fwiw

41 of 45 (1,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2009 1:27:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
I had to buy this remote to operate my Set Top Box.  I bought a new Samsung 52" LCD TV Model LN52B750U1FXZA.  It's awesome but it caused interference with the Inferred transmission from the remote to the STB.  When I connected up the Radio Frequency remote I had the same problem.  As you read from other post, this RF remote does not communicate through the USB.  I got it to work well by covering the face of the STB with a rag.  This blocked the interference from the TV.  This was just a test and not in any way going to be the final fix.  I plan to put the STB behind doors of a cabinet when I get one.  U-verse was empathic and credited my bill for most of the cost.

42 of 45 (1,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2010 6:23:53 AM
(0)
Tutor
Either this remote sucks or I'm doing something wrong. 

My living room is 30'x15'.  The TV and seating is on the each long end of the room, so 30' apart.  Directly behind the TV is a closet where I put all of my equipment.  I used an IR repeater for everything except the Uverse receiver because for some reason it wouldn't work. 

I bought the Uverse RF remote and dongle and installed it.  When I sit on the far end, 30' away with only a single wall between me and the receiver, I have to wave the remote around to get it to work.  There's also a delay in the command, so sometimes you push a button several times thinking the first command didn't work and all of a sudden all commands show up and your TV goes nuts! 

I bought a USB extension thinking I could put the dongle in the living area and keep the Uverse receiver in the closet, that didn't work at all.

Do I have to move my Uverse receiver into the living room to work?  If so, what did I gain, I could have done that with the old remote and saved myself some money?  Any suggestions?

43 of 45 (1,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2010 1:35:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Directions for setting up other devices -

press device key and enter for one second.  Keys at top will flash

press scan/ff button repeatedly (one second between each press) until the device responds.

LEARN FUNCTION:

Hold the learn key until mode keys flash

press device key you want to program (red "select key to learn" will come on).

press key on the RF remote you want to receive the code, then release

hold original remote 1-2" from RF

press key on original remote you want to transmit

long beep indicates that it has been learned.

44 of 45 (1,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2010 10:27:23 AM
(0)
Expert

Pretty sure it has to be a direct connect to the STB you wish to control, and in the front USB port only (won't work in the back).

You can use the small button on front of the USB dongle to change channels if you don't feel the signal is working.

45 of 45 (1,878 Views)