New Uverse Customer--Only 1 HD Stream?

New Uverse Customer--Only 1 HD Stream?

I just had Uverse Internet and TV installed yesterday. Overall I'm happy with what we got, but there's one issue that has really bugged me.

When the DVR was installed, we were told that we were getting 2 HD streams/4 SD streams. We only have one HDTV, but the 2 HD streams is important, as we want to record one program in HD while watching another in HD (eg, on Thursday nights we watch The Office and 30 Rock, but want to record CSI). 

I tried doing this several times, and it will only allow us to access 1 HD channel at a time--if we are recording one program in HD, we are forced to watch that program--we also cannot record 2 HD programs simultaneously.

So I looked at the system settings, and sure enough--we only have 1 HD stream and 3 SD streams. We tried calling Uverse customer support today and the service rep I got was very unhelpful--she didn't even understand what I was talking about. 

Is this a hardware issue? A programming package issue? A distance from the central hub issue? If there's a way to change it so that we can get 2 HD streams, I'd really like to do so. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Message Edited by revelationary on 02-20-2009 09:05 PM
Message Edited by revelationary on 02-20-2009 09:09 PM
Message 1 of 103 (857 Views)
Teacher

Re: New Uverse Customer--Only 1 HD Stream?

Just shot David an email.

Message 46 of 103 (387 Views)
Teacher

How long does it usually take for David and them to contact people???

Message 47 of 103 (387 Views)
Expert

I have only read one post where someone said they were contacted about 3 hours after they sent him an email.  I don't know of anyone else posting how long it took.  They usually just tell about the results of their contact.  If it has been more than a day, then I would send him another email.  If I were in your position.

Message 48 of 103 (387 Views)
Teacher

Anyways when my father called, they said that they would be upgading their systems.

Message 49 of 103 (387 Views)
Expert

Have you sent an email to David at the information given in the thread in this link?

http://utalk.att.com/t5/The-Lounge/my-contact-thread/td-p/142489

Message 50 of 103 (387 Views)
Teacher

I did a couple of days ago.

Message 51 of 103 (174 Views)
Expert

I think it is ok if you contact him again.  You know, the squeaky wheel...

Message 52 of 103 (174 Views)
Teacher

15 minutes ago it looked like a couple of AT&T workers were by the school track behind my house.

They put up tape like in a rectangle.

I thought the VRAD was over by the track but it's not..All I know when the tech came by when they installed U-verse at my house, he was telling the other guy basically to go the school. He said "You know over by the school?" so I'm sure the VRAD is by the school.

Message 53 of 103 (174 Views)
Contributor

i just had u-verse service installed, but also got one 1 HD stream.  i've read stuff all over this forum about getting 2HD depending on the Max User Rate and Noise Margin I have.  These are my readings:

Down Up
DSL Line 1 (inner wire pair)

User Rate19192 kbs2040 kbs
Max User Rate43031 kbsNot Available
Noise Margin21.5 dBNot Available
Attenuation22.7 dBNot Available
Output Power12.9 dBm5.9 dBm

Per what I've researched so far, I should be ok, right?  I spoke to tech support and the guy told me he couldn't change my profile to 2HD because i was too far from "box" at 2300 ft.  any other avenues I can pursue so i can get at least 2HD?

Thanks.

Message 54 of 103 (174 Views)
Expert

themoco wrote:

i just had u-verse service installed, but also got one 1 HD stream.  i've read stuff all over this forum about getting 2HD depending on the Max User Rate and Noise Margin I have.  These are my readings:

Down Up
DSL Line 1 (inner wire pair)

User Rate 19192 kbs 2040 kbs
Max User Rate 43031 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 21.5 dB Not Available
Attenuation 22.7 dB Not Available
Output Power 12.9 dBm 5.9 dBm

Per what I've researched so far, I should be ok, right?  I spoke to tech support and the guy told me he couldn't change my profile to 2HD because i was too far from "box" at 2300 ft.  any other avenues I can pursue so i can get at least 2HD?

Thanks.

Your tech was completely incorrect.  Call U-Verse sales (not technical support) and request that you be upgraded to 2HD/2SD, you should have absolutely no problem with that.

You could request 3HD/1SD, and if it's available in your area, your line may be able to handle that as well.  Watch carefully though if you do this ... if you get pixelation or freezing you will need to call them back and go back down to 2HD/2SD.

Message 55 of 103 (174 Views)
Contributor

thanks.  i'll try sales tonite.  would changing to 2hd/2sd impact my internet speed?  if so, would i need to upgrade my internet package also?

Message 56 of 103 (174 Views)
Expert

themoco wrote:

thanks.  i'll try sales tonite.  would changing to 2hd/2sd impact my internet speed?  if so, would i need to upgrade my internet package also?

No, not at all.  In fact, if you have MaxPlus, it would increase the available speed.

Message 57 of 103 (174 Views)
Contributor

no luck.  insisted i was too far.  said the would offer upgrades in the future.  sigh..

Message 58 of 103 (174 Views)
Expert

Sometimes the reps simply don't know what they're talking about.

I would attempt to call back periodically until you get a rep who will upgrade you.  I believe there's a 99.9% chance that 2HD/2SD will work properly for you.  The noise margin is well within spec, and the max rate shows that line capacity for the 25/2 profile would not be an issue.  I don't know why they're thinking that you're too far, because the RG thinks you're not.

Message 59 of 103 (174 Views)
Contributor

New customer here. Here are my stats - thoughts on whether I could request 2HD/2SD? I guessing it's not going to work based on previous comments but thought I would try

Down Up

DSL Line Coax

User Rate19192 kbs2040 kbs
Max User Rate23696 kbsNot Available
Noise Margin12.5 dBNot Available
Attenuation25.7 dBNot Available
Output Power12.4 dBm6.2 dBm
Message 60 of 103 (174 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.