New Uverse Customer--Only 1 HD Stream?

New Uverse Customer--Only 1 HD Stream?

I just had Uverse Internet and TV installed yesterday. Overall I'm happy with what we got, but there's one issue that has really bugged me.

When the DVR was installed, we were told that we were getting 2 HD streams/4 SD streams. We only have one HDTV, but the 2 HD streams is important, as we want to record one program in HD while watching another in HD (eg, on Thursday nights we watch The Office and 30 Rock, but want to record CSI). 

I tried doing this several times, and it will only allow us to access 1 HD channel at a time--if we are recording one program in HD, we are forced to watch that program--we also cannot record 2 HD programs simultaneously.

So I looked at the system settings, and sure enough--we only have 1 HD stream and 3 SD streams. We tried calling Uverse customer support today and the service rep I got was very unhelpful--she didn't even understand what I was talking about. 

Is this a hardware issue? A programming package issue? A distance from the central hub issue? If there's a way to change it so that we can get 2 HD streams, I'd really like to do so. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Message Edited by revelationary on 02-20-2009 09:05 PM
Message Edited by revelationary on 02-20-2009 09:09 PM
Message 1 of 103 (852 Views)
Teacher

Re: New Uverse Customer--Only 1 HD Stream?

So after the frustration of trying to get U-Verse installed, I now have this problem of only 1 HD stream, when I wanted to be able to watch one HD and record another at the same time.

Coming from Dish, where I had no problem doing this, it's a step backwards to only have access to one HD program at a time.  Here are my stats:

IMG_0174.JPG

Again, part of my frustration is that I wasn't informed of this ahead of time, especially after all the nonsense I put up with before.  Despite their weather issues, I'm getting close to switching back to Dish if this can't be resolved soon. 

I understand that they want to expand and grow, but clearly they're not investing in infrastructure as necessary at the same time and it's hurting their reputation.  I live in the Chicago west suburbs, so not exactly an out of the way area either.

Message 16 of 103 (422 Views)
Expert

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J03&THISPAGE=J01&NEXTPAGE=J03

Go to that page (will need password from sticker on side/bottom of the UV RG).   Post your stats from that page and maybe we can guess how far you are from your VRAD (can be a problem, BUT sometimes they can change you to 2HD).

Message 17 of 103 (422 Views)
Teacher

spd2demun wrote:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J03&THISPAGE=J01&NEXTPAGE=J03

Go to that page (will need password from sticker on side/bottom of the UV RG).   Post your stats from that page and maybe we can guess how far you are from your VRAD (can be a problem, BUT sometimes they can change you to 2HD).

Thanks... here's what I get:

stats.jpg

Message 18 of 103 (422 Views)
Expert

That is the problem, you are on the 19 profile instead of the 25. :smileysad:  May be a bridge tap in the line or too far from the VRAD?

Some have had luck with a service call in getting them to up the profile.

Maybe some of the experts in this area can give you more advice.

Message 19 of 103 (422 Views)
Teacher

So basically, I believe I was on the 25/2 profile the first day, but that night I had problems with the service being spotty, so the next day they sent some people to fix my service.  I didn't realize that the "fix" was going to be to take away one of the HD streams though! :smileysad:

Anyways, I'll call them up and see what can be done.

Message 20 of 103 (422 Views)
Expert

They should have told you, and if you did have it, maybe it is a bridge tap.  Some have had success here getting the profile bumped up.

Let us know the outcome.

Message 21 of 103 (499 Views)
Teacher

Well, I called and it looks like they can't do it at this time because I'm ~3000 ft from the box, unfortunately.  Not really anything they can do right now.

Oh well, the nice thing is that Dish allowed me to "suspend" my account rather than cancelling it outright, so if it bothers me that much after a few months, and if they don't upgrade the system, I can always switch back if need be.

Message 22 of 103 (499 Views)
Expert

wanderer wrote:

Well, I called and it looks like they can't do it at this time because I'm ~3000 ft from the box, unfortunately.  Not really anything they can do right now.

Oh well, the nice thing is that Dish allowed me to "suspend" my account rather than cancelling it outright, so if it bothers me that much after a few months, and if they don't upgrade the system, I can always switch back if need be.

Yep, you have to do what is best for you, especially when you are paying for the service.  Good thing UV doesn't have a contract so if/when you cancel you won't get any cancellation fees.  

Message 23 of 103 (499 Views)

I have the same problem. 1 stream of HD, 3 streams of SD and it is a pain. Someone suggested I print out my stats. Here they are. I hope someone can tell me if I might be able to get 2 HD streams.

Bob

Broadband Link – Statistics
    IP Statistics
DSL         Down         Up
Current Rate:         19200 kbs         2048 kbs
Max Rate:         32420 kbs         Not Available
Current Connection:
    Current Noise Margin:         19.0 dB         Not Available
    Current Attenuation:         27.5 dB         Not Available
    Current Output Power:         12.3 dBm         3.2 dBm
IP         Bytes         Packets         Errors         %
Transmit:         960399378         2148359         0         0
Receive:         380666097338         277844380         3         0

Message 24 of 103 (499 Views)
Expert

BedfordBob wrote:

I have the same problem. 1 stream of HD, 3 streams of SD and it is a pain. Someone suggested I print out my stats. Here they are. I hope someone can tell me if I might be able to get 2 HD streams.

Bob

Broadband Link – Statistics
    IP Statistics
DSL         Down         Up
Current Rate:         19200 kbs         2048 kbs
Max Rate:         32420 kbs         Not Available
Current Connection:
    Current Noise Margin:         19.0 dB         Not Available
    Current Attenuation:         27.5 dB         Not Available
    Current Output Power:         12.3 dBm         3.2 dBm
IP         Bytes         Packets         Errors         %
Transmit:         960399378         2148359         0         0
Receive:         380666097338         277844380         3         0

With your 32,420 max rate, it's possible that you can be placed on the 25/2 profile to get 2 HD and 2 SD streams.  Call customer service to see if you can be upgraded to the higher profile.  The worst that can happen is that you have to keep your current profile.

Message 25 of 103 (499 Views)

I noticed in my brief play time today with Uverse that I was only getting one HD stream.  I don't know where the VRAD is, but I know that I used to be too far from the main hub to get regular DSL.  I was finally able to get "dry loop"  DSL last year.  I will check stats first thing when I get home, but I bet that I am too far from the box to get 2 HD streams.   I am only on day 1 here, but it's not looking like my uverse tv career will last very long.

Message 26 of 103 (499 Views)

spd2demun wrote:

That is the problem, you are on the 19 profile instead of the 25. :smileysad:  May be a bridge tap in the line or too far from the VRAD?

Some have had luck with a service call in getting them to up the profile.

Maybe some of the experts in this area can give you more advice.

That would be me.

I live 3,000 ft away (they said) and I have 2SD/2HD streams. Right when my aera of the market rolled out (Detroit Michigan) with 2HD streams (a long time ago now). I called and said I don't have 2 HD streams. At the time they didn't know why. I kept calling and calling, and finally they relized I called so many times they sent me up to teir 2 very nicely. I thought they were sick of me calling them (which I could understand). They were all nice and excellent people by the way.

Someone up in teir 2 (who was nice, and excellent) put me on 2SD/2HD. So when they told me I was 3,000 ft away I don't know if it was a mistake, or I just got lucky. Maybe since it just came out they didn't know people weren't suppose to get it 3,000 ft away. Anyways, I have had no problems. I think im the 25 profile. I think Texasguy (who is awesome) confirmed it with me a while back.

Ever since the first two weeks I have not had a problem with AT&T. Well, my DVR box went out , but that was ok because I got it replace for free with a larger hard drive in it so I really didn't mind. Hey sometime's I think I just get lucky which is not often.

All of the AT&T customers service people, techs, and everyone at AT&T that I have talked to have been honest, correct, nice and friendly and I haven't had any problems with them so far.

Usually if there was a problem with my service a tech  (who is always knowledgeable, and knows what he doing, and is nice), is out the very next day. I always, think it's because I'm nice to them. I know how they feel dealing with people all day. I feel bad for them sometimes, because they have people calling them idiots, and words that I'm not going to say when its not the customer supports, tech, or an AT&T's employee's fault. Sometimes, It just might be upper management fault. Something AT&T employees can't control.

Message Edited by sportsman on 10-17-2009 02:13 AM
Message 27 of 103 (499 Views)
ACE - Expert

sportsman, I'd say you're real lucky to get 2 HD @ 3000', must be on 24 (or even 22) guage wire w/a

quiet line.  Many are on 26 guage and can't get 2 HD @ 3000' generally. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 28 of 103 (499 Views)
Employee

The 3000 ft rule is not hard and fast. There are some that are few hundred feet past 3k. Other customers have problems at less then 3k. It depends on the makeup of the entire cable run. Sometimes mixing adsl customers in the same cable or adding more Uverse customers can cause problems. This is more of a problem in old cables.  
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 29 of 103 (499 Views)

Current Rate:19200 kbs

Max Rate: 29588 kbs

I have similar stats to Bedford Bob and Wanderer. My broadband link stat max rate is 29588

Will give them a call and let you know how it goes.

Guy on the direct line said it should be possible.  I will have to call the sales team tomorrow.  He also said that it is the sales team that sets what profile you are on and not the installer FWIW 

Message Edited by comeonchelsea on 10-18-2009 04:54 PM
Message 30 of 103 (499 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.