Posted Feb 20, 2009
8:45:16 PM
New Uverse Customer--Only 1 HD Stream?

I just had Uverse Internet and TV installed yesterday. Overall I'm happy with what we got, but there's one issue that has really bugged me.

When the DVR was installed, we were told that we were getting 2 HD streams/4 SD streams. We only have one HDTV, but the 2 HD streams is important, as we want to record one program in HD while watching another in HD (eg, on Thursday nights we watch The Office and 30 Rock, but want to record CSI). 

I tried doing this several times, and it will only allow us to access 1 HD channel at a time--if we are recording one program in HD, we are forced to watch that program--we also cannot record 2 HD programs simultaneously.

So I looked at the system settings, and sure enough--we only have 1 HD stream and 3 SD streams. We tried calling Uverse customer support today and the service rep I got was very unhelpful--she didn't even understand what I was talking about. 

Is this a hardware issue? A programming package issue? A distance from the central hub issue? If there's a way to change it so that we can get 2 HD streams, I'd really like to do so. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Message Edited by revelationary on 02-20-2009 09:05 PM
Message Edited by revelationary on 02-20-2009 09:09 PM
102 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(102)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 8:09:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

A tech came out yesterday and saw no reason I shouldn't be able to get 25/2.  He tried getting them to switch it but due to the distance they wouldn't until an I/R tech came out and ran more line tests and told them it would be ok.  So that tech scheduled the I/R guy. 

The I/R guy came this morning.  He said the lines looked good, and he switched me to 25/2.  He did say I might be able to get the 3HD/1SD now.  Not holding my breath on that one, but more than happy I have at least 2 HD streams now.

Thanks for the help.

Re: New Uverse Customer--Only 1 HD Stream?

91 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 8:22:37 AM
(0)
Expert

So, any difference in your stats when you run Uverse Realtime now?

92 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 9:36:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Hopefully you won't have any issues with your service as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

93 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 7:25:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, here's the new profile page.  I just got home, started a hd recording, and changed to another hd channel, I got the one stream error.  Thought hmmmm, maybe I need to restart the tv receiver... Restarted and VIOLA!!  2HD streams!!! 

2614i5906D5124237911C

94 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 7:32:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Enjoy.  Its voila but we know what you mean.:smileywink:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

95 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 9:57:31 PM
(0)
Expert

Good deal!  Can't see your photo yet, but glad you got those streams!  Enjoy your service.

mcernik wrote:

Yes, here's the new profile page.  I just got home, started a hd recording, and changed to another hd channel, I got the one stream error.  Thought hmmmm, maybe I need to restart the tv receiver... Restarted and VIOLA!!  2HD streams!!! 

96 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 7:20:22 AM
(0)
Expert

mcernik,

The noise margin is a bit low and the reserve bits bothers me a bit.  These indicate that one of the lines is not quite performing up to specs, but the true test is whether you get pixelation or freezing.  Watch your TV for a week and see how it performs.  If you don't notice any pixelation or freezing, you're probably good.

97 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 6:24:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Certain people past 3000 feet are getting a device called the iNID, which is a different kind of 2Wire router.  It's model number i3812V, and it replaces the 3800HGV-B that you have.  It is capable of doing pair-bonding (using two pairs of wires to achieve an aggregate bandwidth greater than a single pair).

Those people on pair bonding can usually get the 25/2 profile if nothing is wrong with their lines despite their long distance.  However, the i3812V is temperamental and a near-perfect installation is required to get it to work.  AT&T has suspended deployment of the i3812V for this reason and is expected to resume when some bugs are shaken out.

There is a rumor floating around that all profiles will have 1 additional HD stream added to them in the near future.  If you are moved to 25/2 and get 2HD/2SD, then it is possible if that comes to fruition that you will be able to get 3HD/1SD on the 25/2 profile.

Thanks for the info.  The 2 SD/2 HD stream was live by the time I got home.  I'm pleased, but it kind of concerns me that the tech said it wasn't possible yet it took nothing more than a 5 minute phone call to flip a switch somewhere and get a second HD stream.  Was it the tech not doing his job, or a company that gives its customers the minimum unless they complain?

I still get a few audio drop outs on the 5.1 - but I'll live I guess.  Today I got an email saying my rewards for sigining up were online to redeem - even though it hasn't even been a week since install and the policy says you have to wait 30 days.  The Rewards page only shows a $50 award and a $100 award - even though the promotion I signed up under was a $50 and $200 award.  The phone rep at the reward center said not all awards show up immediatly...but a quick search of "reward" under the Billing forums here seem to indicate this will be another thing I will have to calll and complain about to fix. 

Why can't this be easy and hassle free?

98 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 6:35:21 AM
(0)
Expert

Tech could have been new and inexperienced. :smileywink:  But that's why you come here to get answers from people who actually have UV. :smileywink:

The 5.1 issue has been an ongoing one.  ATT has sent an Engineer to the forum to gather DIRECT input.  You can do that here.  It is currently an ongoing project, not fixed yet. :smileyhappy:

For the Rewards, it's possible the last $50 hasn't showed up yet.  Yes, you'll have to call...nothing is simple these days, anywhere. :smileysad:

99 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 7:23:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

We just got a new HD TV and I wanted to see if we could move from 2HD/2SD to 3HD/1SD yet.  I just downloaded Realtime so I hope I am doing this correctly.  If we are able to upgrade without causing problems with freezing or pixelation that would be great.  Otherwise we will just make do I guess.  Thanks in advance for any help.

We

100 of 103 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 7:27:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Based on your stats I say give them a call.  I think I read where someone said call sales and request it.  I could be mistaken, but here is a number to try. 800.983-2811.  You can use the number in my sig to go directly to ts and get a human.

101 of 103 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 8:12:56 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the help they were really fast after I called I just tried recording 2 HD and watching a 3rd HD and no problems so far *knock on wood* so looks like we are set.  Thanks again

102 of 103 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 8:39:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Cool.  Enjoy.

103 of 103 (720 Views)