Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 6, 2011
11:42:35 PM
View profile
New Customer - Questions

So, I'm just about to move into a new house that has UVerse available.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm really only interested in High Speed Internet.

What kind of router are AT&T going to give me?

Can I disable NAT and run in BRIDGED mode; just like my DSL modem.

(I have a real firewall, and prefer to just handle the public IP & NAT stuff myself.)

Can I get static IP's.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.

So, I'm just about to move into a new house that has UVerse available.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm really only interested in High Speed Internet.

What kind of router are AT&T going to give me?

Can I disable NAT and run in BRIDGED mode; just like my DSL modem.

(I have a real firewall, and prefer to just handle the public IP & NAT stuff myself.)

Can I get static IP's.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.

New Customer - Questions

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 7:49:11 AM
(0)
Expert

For AT&T U-Verse Internet-only installs, there are two possibilities depending on what flavor of U-Verse service is available at your location:

1. ADSL2+ U-Verse.  This flavor of U-Verse is Internet only, and tops out at 6 Mbps/768 Kbps.

You can get either a Motorola 2210 modem or a 2Wire 2701HG-B router/gateway with this service.  The Motorola can be used in a true bridge mode.  The 2Wire has a DMZPlus mode that will simulate bridging (your router would get the outside IP address).

2. VDSL U-Verse.  This flavor of U-Verse can be Internet only, or can also add IPTV and/or VOIP services.  The Internet tops out at 24 Mbps/3 Mbps for most installations, others are limited to 18 Mbps/1.5 Mbps.  These speeds of Internet require a technician install.  If you want self-install, you are limited to 12 Mbps/1 Mbps.

For internet-only installations you will get a 2Wire 3600HGV router/gateway.  For internet + IPTV and/or VOIP you will get a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, or i3812V router/gateway.

All 2Wire gateways have the DMZ Plus mode which will allow your router to get the outside IP address.

Static IPs are available, but you cannot use both the DMZ Plus mode and static IPs together.  The 2Wire units will not route static IP blocks through your router.  You can either use the 2Wire by itself which will handle static IPs and NAT private IPs at the same time, or you can use your own router with a single IP, but not both.

Note that the single IP provided with U-Verse, which technically a dynamic IP, is "sticky".  This IP virtually never changes unless you have the 2Wire router swapped out for a different one.

For AT&T U-Verse Internet-only installs, there are two possibilities depending on what flavor of U-Verse service is available at your location:

1. ADSL2+ U-Verse.  This flavor of U-Verse is Internet only, and tops out at 6 Mbps/768 Kbps.

You can get either a Motorola 2210 modem or a 2Wire 2701HG-B router/gateway with this service.  The Motorola can be used in a true bridge mode.  The 2Wire has a DMZPlus mode that will simulate bridging (your router would get the outside IP address).

2. VDSL U-Verse.  This flavor of U-Verse can be Internet only, or can also add IPTV and/or VOIP services.  The Internet tops out at 24 Mbps/3 Mbps for most installations, others are limited to 18 Mbps/1.5 Mbps.  These speeds of Internet require a technician install.  If you want self-install, you are limited to 12 Mbps/1 Mbps.

For internet-only installations you will get a 2Wire 3600HGV router/gateway.  For internet + IPTV and/or VOIP you will get a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, or i3812V router/gateway.

All 2Wire gateways have the DMZ Plus mode which will allow your router to get the outside IP address.

Static IPs are available, but you cannot use both the DMZ Plus mode and static IPs together.  The 2Wire units will not route static IP blocks through your router.  You can either use the 2Wire by itself which will handle static IPs and NAT private IPs at the same time, or you can use your own router with a single IP, but not both.

Note that the single IP provided with U-Verse, which technically a dynamic IP, is "sticky".  This IP virtually never changes unless you have the 2Wire router swapped out for a different one.

Re: New Customer - Questions

2 of 3 (1,680 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 6:00:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

"Note that the single IP provided with U-Verse, which technically a dynamic IP, is "sticky".  This IP virtually never changes unless you have the 2Wire router swapped out for a different one." -SomeJoe7777

I used that to my advbantage while working on my static IP issue and used the dynamic address of the router as my DNS info for my provider.  Worked fine for a few days and perhaps could eliminate the need of static IPS if you need only one like I do.  Hmmmmm......  Maybe I could save $15 a month.

"Note that the single IP provided with U-Verse, which technically a dynamic IP, is "sticky".  This IP virtually never changes unless you have the 2Wire router swapped out for a different one." -SomeJoe7777

I used that to my advbantage while working on my static IP issue and used the dynamic address of the router as my DNS info for my provider.  Worked fine for a few days and perhaps could eliminate the need of static IPS if you need only one like I do.  Hmmmmm......  Maybe I could save $15 a month.

Re: New Customer - Questions

3 of 3 (1,635 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments