Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Netflix streaming now working

Highlighted
Tutor

Netflix streaming now working

I just purchased a Samsung DH TV with built in internet and the Netflix app.  When trying to run it via my 3MB/s U-verse internet connection, my connect speed was only 500kb/s and the Netflix resolution was like an old VHS tape.

After talking with Netflix, they said to be sure port 443 and 80 were open.

With some help from the U-Verse technical guys (not the customer service team in India), I was able to open the two ports and now can watch movies in HD using the full bandwidth.

For anyone else having the problem, here’s the fix.  PLEASE, only do this if you have some idea of what you’re doing.  If not call U-Verse and they can do it for you remotely if you give them the port numbers.

Log in to your residential gateway (the IP address and password are on the device itself)

Settings Tab > Firewall > "Applications, Pinhole and DMZ"

1)       “SELECT A COMPUTER”  - Select IP address from list the TV uses – for me it was the bottom entry

2)       “EDIT FIREWALL SETTINGS FOR THIS COMPUTER” > select “allow individual application that will be enabled to pass through the firewall

3)       Under the scroll down box, there is a underlined link “Add a new user-defined application”  click this

4)       FIREWALL APPLICATION PROFILE DEFINITION – Profile name – enter  Netflix – name is up to you > Port from 80 to 80 > APPLICATION TYPE >  select PPTP from pulldown  > click “add to list” button on lower right

5)       The page will refresh with the Profile name and the port at the bottom left

6)       Now enter Port range 443 to 443 > select PPTP > all to list

7)       Now you should see both ports on the bottom left.

8)       Now press the back button

9)       The page will return you to the “Allow application to pass through firewall page”   -- Select Netflix from the scrolling application list and click the Add button and Netflix should show in the hosted application box

10)   PRESS the save button at the bottom right of the page.

That’s it – sounds more difficult that it actually is. .  Remember to unplug the TV for 1 minute so the home gateway will initialize to the new ports when communicating with Netflix

Good Luck

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Master

Re: Netflix streaming now working

Thanks.  Interesting.  How are you getting the internet to the TV?  Wireless?  Cat5 from the RG (or switch) to the TV or an ethernet cable from the RJ45 jack on the back of the STB?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11

I'm surprised this was necessary but I suppose it could have something to do with the TV's app. 

I watch through my bluray player and have an occasional problem trying to get the HD source to stream.  I have to restart it a few times.  I'd think a firewall problem would be it either works or it doesn't.

Message 3 of 11
Tutor

I'm using CAT5 from the TV to a switch that connects (via CAT5) to the Gateway

Message 4 of 11
Scholar

What switch are you using.  Thanks.

Chuck

Message 5 of 11
Tutor

I tried an old 5-port 10/100 Mbs switch I had around.  No branding that I could find.

Message 6 of 11
Scholar

I have tried a Linksys 10/100 switch that i used when i had Directv and i couldnt get it to work.  I have been hoping that i could use a 10/100 since i have one.  I have been told that you have to use a giga switch.  They are just more than i can afford.

Chuck

Message 7 of 11
Expert

NetGear GS-105, $29.99 after rebate. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Tutor

I think that maybe it's not the switch but rather opening ports for Direct TV through the gateway - just like I had to do for Netflix.

Message 9 of 11
Scholar

How do you open the ports to the gateway? 

Message 10 of 11
Tutor

first call DirectTV as ask which ports they need to have open.

Secondly, read the first post as it has the directions as to what to do after you have the port information

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support