Need to extend my wireless signal

Scholar

Need to extend my wireless signal

I have an old house with solid wood walls. My UVerse wireless router is in the back of the house. I recently got a wi-fi iPad. When I'm in the front of the house (living room), I get a weak wireless signal. I have a network drop in the living room and a 4 port switch hooked in. From this I run my TV and Wii (for Netfilx). Someone suggested I hook in a wireless access point?  I don't want another network, I just want to extend the one I already have. Can this be done? I assume this would work for any wireless device? We already have 2 iPhones. Generally not an issue because they are also 3G and if the signal is too weak it switches over. But my son doesn't have a large data plan, so I want to make sure his phone doesn't start downloading a movie using 3G.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Koko

Message 1 of 44
Expert

Re: Need to extend my wireless signal

Yes, that will work.  You can install a wireless access point on that switch in the living room and configure it such that the SSID and password are identical to how you have the U-Verse RG configured.  Devices will hop onto that wireless access point when they're closer to it than to the RG.

Just configure it to be on a different channel than the RG is, though.  Preferably at least 3 channels away.  (e.g. RG on channel 6, use channel 9 or higher or 3 or lower for the new wireless access point.)

Message 2 of 44
Scholar

Can you recommend any wireless access points? We have a pretty small house.

Thanks

Message 3 of 44
Scholar

One more question. I see 'Wireless N Access point". Is that for 802.11n ? Is that the newest? I guess i configure it using a browser?

I took a look at access points and I'm a little confused. I see 'N' and 'D' and 'B' and 'A'. What's that all about? Is it speed? I don't want to break the bank. I only plan to use it to boost the RG. What does it use for wireless?

Thanks

Message 4 of 44
Expert

The RG uses "G" wireless, with a maximum speed of 54 Mbps.  This is more than adequate for Internet use, especially since your Internet line speed is well below this.

"N" wireless is the latest standard and can support speeds up to 300 Mbps.  This isn't really useful unless you transfer a lot of data between wireless and wired computers on your LAN or you have many computers all sharing the same wireless.  However, most wireless access points available on the market are now N, and there is now hardly any price difference between N and G equipment, so you may as well purchase an N wireless access point.

"A" wireless is generally only used in corporate/enterprise environments.

"B" wireless is a very old standard that doesn't support a lot of security.  Avoid that one.

The TrendNet TEP-637AP is a very highly rated N wireless access point available for only $39.

Message 5 of 44
Scholar

Thanks for all that great information. I looked at the one you suggested. $39 at Newegg. Not bad. I see it has one network port on the back. I assume I hook that to the exiting switch in my living room? Then I guess I configure it with a browser and a given IP address?  So as I understand it, it will just be an extension of my RG wireless network, right? The same "key" will work for both? And it should just switch magically as I walk through the houes?

UPDATE:  I found it on Amazon, and since I have Prime, I should get it in 2 days. Looking at the video for it, it looks like you just plug it in and it works. It sounded much more complicated in your first response with all the different config setup. Am I missing something? By the way, we only use Macs here, hope that doesn't make any difference.

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions :-)

Alfredo

Message 6 of 44
Expert

Yes, you will configure it with a web browser and assign it an IP address.

It will have the same SSID and key, but you have to configure it to make that happen.  It will not have the same SSID and key out of the box.  But that is configurable in the web browser.

Yes, once it's up and running, devices will seamlessly roam from one to the other.

Message 7 of 44
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Yes, you will configure it with a web browser and assign it an IP address.

It will have the same SSID and key, but you have to configure it to make that happen.  It will not have the same SSID and key out of the box.  But that is configurable in the web browser.

So I give it a dedicated IP or does the DHCP in the RG do that? Where do I get the SSID and Key?  I'm looking at the router now (on my browser). Where do I get this information? Also you indicated before that there was another setting? I hope I don't sound too dense...

By the way, it shows that the wireless channel is set to 7, not 6.

Thank you!!!!

Message 8 of 44
Expert

You should give it a dedicated IP (e.g. 192.168.1.10).  Consult the documentation that comes with the wireless access point, it will tell you how to initially connect to it and where to go to change the IP address.

The SSID and key are the same ones you configured the U-Verse RG with.  All of those settings are available in the RG's interface on this page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

On that page, make a note of the following:

1. SSID (network name)

2. Wireless authentication type (also called the security method or encryption method).

3. The wireless network key (also called the password)

4. The wireless channel.

When you configure your new wireless access point, use the same settings of 1, 2, and 3.  For the wireless channel, set your new router to any channel that's at least 3 away from the one the RG is using.  If the RG is using 7, then pick 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, or 11.

Message 9 of 44
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

1. SSID (network name)

2. Wireless authentication type (also called the security method or encryption method).

3. The wireless network key (also called the password)

4. The wireless channel.

When you configure your new wireless access point, use the same settings of 1, 2, and 3.  For the wireless channel, set your new router to any channel that's at least 3 away from the one the RG is using.  If the RG is using 7, then pick 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, or 11.

I see them all except the password. Is that the password I use to make router changes? The one on the router label? Or is it the "key" you enter to gain access to the wireless network?

Thanks for the consise information. Great job. I'll let you know how it goes, unless I have more questions :-)

Koko

Message 10 of 44
Expert

The wireless key is not the same password that you use to get into the RG's pages.

It's in the security section, about 2/3rds of the way down.

There are two selections there:

1. Use default Wireless Network Key printed on the System Label

2. Use custom Wireless Network Key

If #1 is selected, look on the white label on the side of the RG for the key.

If #2 is selected, then that is something that you typed in when you were setting up the RG and you'll have to remember what it is.

The wireless key is something you also have to type into any computer that will connect to the RG on wireless, so you should have had to type it in at least once to one of your devices.

Message 11 of 44
Scholar

HELP!!!

I just recieved my new Trendnet. Problem is, I'm on a Mac, not a PC. There appears to be only one way to configure this thing, and that is on a Windows machine using the provided disc. I don't see any URL that I can use to configure it.

UPDATE:  I did some searching and found that I can use the following ip 192.168.10.100 to onfigure it. But when I try that IP it never connects and times out. The lights are going on the access point... Maybe it the way I have it connected??

[RG] ---- [Wall jack] --- swtich --- TEW-637AP

I opened the RG from the browser and I don't see anything new in the list.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 12 of 44
Mentor

You can configure with your Mac using a browser. Connect your Mac to the TrendNet via ethernet. The TrendNet default IP address is 192.168.10.100. The default username is "admin" as is the default password.

Dlck

Message 13 of 44
Scholar

Are you saying I should disconnect my mac from the network and plug in directly to the access point?

Thanks

Message 14 of 44
Highlighted
Mentor

Yes, just follow the general setup instructions as if you were using a Windows PC except loading the CD and running the setup program.

Connect your Mac directly to the TrendNet's Ethernet port. Then connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN port on your router to the LAN port on the TrendNet. Then open your browser and enter the TrendNet's IP Address of 192.168.10.100, log in and configure away.

Just follow the instructions in your manual starting on page 12 (skipping the setup wizard CD part).

Dlck

Message 15 of 44
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support