Need Uverse Internet for MediaShare?

Tutor

Need Uverse Internet for MediaShare?

Hi folks,

Do I need to be subscribed to Internet access with Uverse to use MediaShare?   Can I connect the PC with the media files to the RG while it gets its Internet access from another ISP?

Search for the answer on the Forum with no success.

Thanks,

MarcG

Message 1 of 8 (597 Views)
Guru

Re: Need Uverse Internet for MediaShare?

Hmmm!  Interesting question.  I'm guessing it would work as long as your PC is connected to the UVerse network thru the RG.  Hang on -- someone who knows the real answer will be along later or tomorrow.  Like i said, I'm guessing!
Message 2 of 8 (597 Views)
Expert

When I read the requirements for Media Share, it does not state that U-verse internet is required.  It simply states that the PC containing the media files must be connected to the RG either hardwired or wirelessly.

In theory, I think it would work without U-verse internet.  I don't know if any user has tired it.  Maybe you can try and let us know if it works.

Message 3 of 8 (597 Views)

I also imagine it would work, since you're just setting up a "network" between your PC and the STBs--I don't think it matters which ISP you use.  What does matter is having WMP properly configured, getting it to recognize your STBs ("devices") and getting your firewall to allow access.  I'm not very technologically inclined like so many of the forum members are, but I managed to muddle through it.  Good luck.

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
Message 4 of 8 (597 Views)
ACE - Expert

MarcG wrote:

Hi folks,

Do I need to be subscribed to Internet access with Uverse to use MediaShare?   Can I connect the PC with the media files to the RG while it gets its Internet access from another ISP?

Search for the answer on the Forum with no success.

Thanks,

MarcG

If you don't have Uvese internet, why would the computer be plugged into the RG?  Don't know if it

could get another IP address and RG won't recognize it.  Disconnect it from your other internet

source then plug it in to the RG and see if you get a connection and start the Media Share on the

menu to see if it'll work.  Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8 (597 Views)
Expert

Media share will work without U-Verse internet.  As others have said, the PC hosting the media server (Windows Media Player or TVersity) must be connected to the RG, preferably with a wired Ethernet cable.

If this PC only has one network connection, when you do this that PC will no longer have Internet access.

You can get around this by putting two network cards in the PC.  Connect the first one to your Internet network, leave the IP settings on automatic.  Connect the second one to the RG, and use the following settings:

IP address: 192.168.1.20

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: (Leave blank)

DNS 1 and 2: Use the DNS numbers from your 1st network card.  To get these, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes).  The DNS server IP addresses will be listed there.

Make SURE that the RG's network (192.168.1.x) and the Internet network on the other network card are different.  The other network card should be 192.168.0.x or something else other than 192.168.1.x.  If they're the same, this won't work, and you will have to change the IP addressing of your Internet network using your own router.

You will also have to turn off any firewall on your PC for Media share to work.

Message 6 of 8 (597 Views)
Tutor

Thank you SomeJoe7777!  I will give that a try.

MarcG

Message 7 of 8 (597 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Worked perfectly.  Thank you!
Message 8 of 8 (597 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.