Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 17, 2009
6:48:54 PM
Need USB Driver for 2Wire 3800HGV-B

Since I've used all the Ethernet ports on my 3800 for other devices, I need to add a PC to the mix using the USB port.  Like many others I've read about as I've searched for a solution to my problem, my installer neglected to leave an installation disk with me when UVerse was first installed so I don't have that option available to me when it comes to locating the appropriate driver.

Neither the tech support person at AT&T (who was completely clueless) or the 2Wire help desk has been able to help me.  I've located the link to a driver on this forum, but it appears to be limited to XP and earlier versions of Windows (I have Vista on this machine).  Does anyone know if AT&T supplies a USB driver that is compatible with Vista, and if so how I'd go about acquiring it?

Since I've used all the Ethernet ports on my 3800 for other devices, I need to add a PC to the mix using the USB port.  Like many others I've read about as I've searched for a solution to my problem, my installer neglected to leave an installation disk with me when UVerse was first installed so I don't have that option available to me when it comes to locating the appropriate driver.

Neither the tech support person at AT&T (who was completely clueless) or the 2Wire help desk has been able to help me.  I've located the link to a driver on this forum, but it appears to be limited to XP and earlier versions of Windows (I have Vista on this machine).  Does anyone know if AT&T supplies a USB driver that is compatible with Vista, and if so how I'd go about acquiring it?

Need USB Driver for 2Wire 3800HGV-B

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2009 7:32:23 PM
(0)
Expert

The only USB driver that exists for the RG is the XP version.

Why do you need to use USB?  Why not use an Ethernet switch to add ports, then use Ethernet to the additional PC?

The only USB driver that exists for the RG is the XP version.

Why do you need to use USB?  Why not use an Ethernet switch to add ports, then use Ethernet to the additional PC?

Re: Need USB Driver for 2Wire 3800HGV-B

2 of 10 (5,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 12:29:30 PM
(0)
Guru

You can install the XP driver on Vista and see what happens, the worst that will happen is it won't work, or it my not have the desired effect

If one of the other computers you have run Windows XP, why not just switch the two and have that run over USB?

Other than that I would have to agree with SomeJoe, you may just need to get a switch ot add more ports

You can install the XP driver on Vista and see what happens, the worst that will happen is it won't work, or it my not have the desired effect

If one of the other computers you have run Windows XP, why not just switch the two and have that run over USB?

Other than that I would have to agree with SomeJoe, you may just need to get a switch ot add more ports

3 of 10 (5,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 2:53:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

I found my driver disk in the trash after my installer left.  Installed it to my PC running Windows Server 2008 R2.  No good.  Installed it on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  No good.  Installed it on Windows 7 Ultimate x86.  No good.

Installed all of the above in compatibility mode for XP .  No Good.

Windows just won't see that driver.  I continued with the Ethernet without problems.

Supposedly,  there will be a use or drivers for the USB port down the line.  For right now, I was told that the USB port was originally designed for Windows XP systems that had no Ethernet port.

So, it is useless for the rest of us, at least for now.

Bill

I found my driver disk in the trash after my installer left.  Installed it to my PC running Windows Server 2008 R2.  No good.  Installed it on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  No good.  Installed it on Windows 7 Ultimate x86.  No good.

Installed all of the above in compatibility mode for XP .  No Good.

Windows just won't see that driver.  I continued with the Ethernet without problems.

Supposedly,  there will be a use or drivers for the USB port down the line.  For right now, I was told that the USB port was originally designed for Windows XP systems that had no Ethernet port.

So, it is useless for the rest of us, at least for now.

Bill

4 of 10 (5,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 3:01:11 PM
(0)
Guru

So I am guessing that you don't have a computer with XP anywhere

Well, it looks like your only choice is to get a switch and connect it to the RG, if you plan on just using it to connect computers to, any switch will work, if you plan on connecting STBs to it, you may want to use a netgear switch that supports multicasting (802.1p)

So I am guessing that you don't have a computer with XP anywhere

Well, it looks like your only choice is to get a switch and connect it to the RG, if you plan on just using it to connect computers to, any switch will work, if you plan on connecting STBs to it, you may want to use a netgear switch that supports multicasting (802.1p)

5 of 10 (5,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 4:13:44 PM
(0)
Master

fwiw  the usb port is usb 1.1 ne way  (not 2.0 )

randy

fwiw  the usb port is usb 1.1 ne way  (not 2.0 )

randy

6 of 10 (5,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 5:29:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

@okaussie: Thanks for the definitive answer...it just can't be done with my OS.

@mikedamirault: None of the XP machines in my household are an option (form factor, memory limitations, etc.).  Looks like the Ethernet switch is the only option.  Currently I have a Blu-Ray DVD, the main STB, a Squeezebox DAR, and a Netgear powerline adapter hooked up to the RG (wireless doesn't reach parts of my house).  I'm wondering how well a switch will work with that kind of set up.

Thanks to all for responding.  At least now I know not to waste any more time trying to find a driver that doesn't exist!

@okaussie: Thanks for the definitive answer...it just can't be done with my OS.

@mikedamirault: None of the XP machines in my household are an option (form factor, memory limitations, etc.).  Looks like the Ethernet switch is the only option.  Currently I have a Blu-Ray DVD, the main STB, a Squeezebox DAR, and a Netgear powerline adapter hooked up to the RG (wireless doesn't reach parts of my house).  I'm wondering how well a switch will work with that kind of set up.

Thanks to all for responding.  At least now I know not to waste any more time trying to find a driver that doesn't exist!

7 of 10 (5,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 7:38:08 PM
(0)
Guru
A switch will work fine, I have a 16 port commercial hub connected to the RG with a computer and Xbox 360, works perfectly (I happened to have a 16 por hub laying around, that is why I used it), switches will work better and faster though, so a switch should work just fine
A switch will work fine, I have a 16 port commercial hub connected to the RG with a computer and Xbox 360, works perfectly (I happened to have a 16 por hub laying around, that is why I used it), switches will work better and faster though, so a switch should work just fine

8 of 10 (5,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 9:03:48 PM
(0)
Expert

It is recommended that you use an Ethernet switch that is 802.1p compliant (this includes nearly all Gigabit Ethernet switches, and many modern Fast Ethernet switches).

If you want to plug an STB/DVR into the switch, then the 802.1p is required, not just recommended.

It is recommended that you use an Ethernet switch that is 802.1p compliant (this includes nearly all Gigabit Ethernet switches, and many modern Fast Ethernet switches).

If you want to plug an STB/DVR into the switch, then the 802.1p is required, not just recommended.

9 of 10 (5,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2011 11:59:18 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by jerodd on Mar 12, 2011 at 12:02:29 PM

The drivers are here:

http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=view&article=768

The drivers for the 2Wire 100/100 also work on the 2Wire 3800HGV-B. I used them successfully on Windows 7 (32-bit only).

The drivers are here:

http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=view&article=768

The drivers for the 2Wire 100/100 also work on the 2Wire 3800HGV-B. I used them successfully on Windows 7 (32-bit only).

[ Edited ]
10 of 10 (4,127 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments