My Internet connection freezes after a couple of minutes!

Guru

My Internet connection freezes after a couple of minutes!

Hello,

recently (January) we got our long awaited Uverse 300 bundle with Pro Internet (Phone for some reason was not immediately installed, but will get that at the end of this month!).

To make a long story readable; I can connect to the internet and surf, however every so often (regular intervals 5-15 minutes) my internet comes to a stall and freezes.

This is highly annoying in my iChat sessions with overseas family.

Through Speedtest.net I have the following #s:

Download: 2064b/s

Upload: 809 kb/s

Anyone knows if this is an easy fix?

Thank you,

Message Edited by SayangM on 02-18-2009 05:12 AM
Message 1 of 17 (678 Views)
Master

Re: My Internet connection freezes after a couple of minutes!

wired or wireless to the puter ?  all puters have the same problem ??

wireless ?  try a cat5 to the puter from the rg3800 to see if it clears it up to point a finger at wireless probelm ??

randy

Message 2 of 17 (678 Views)
Guru

Wireless.

Cat5???

Puter???

rg3800???

I am the novice here. 

Message 3 of 17 (678 Views)
Master

SayangM wrote:

Wireless.    how is your computer hooked to the local network ??  wired  or a wireless device ?

Cat5???      ethernet cable

Puter???     slang for computer

rg3800???   the box with all the pretty blinking lights all the wires   go to   (the brain)

I am the novice here. 

Message Edited by randyl on 02-18-2009 08:06 AM
Message 4 of 17 (678 Views)
Master

SayangM wrote:

Wireless.

Cat5???

Puter???

rg3800???

I am the novice here. 

rg3800.jpg

Message 5 of 17 (678 Views)
Guru

Not Cat 5. Only Cable connection to my RG3800.

Only leaves me with "puter".

Message Edited by SayangM on 02-18-2009 06:32 AM
Message 6 of 17 (678 Views)
Master

SayangM wrote:

Not Cat 5. Only Cable connection to my RG3800.

Only leaves me with "puter".

sounds like since u say no to cat5 to the computer they have u running wireless...

u may try a diff channel to see if it helps u get a more stable connection...

the wireless band in the us uses 1 thru 11    you could be on any of those and even set to auto...  channel 6 is default in a lot of cases and the most busy...  imho

the cleanest less crowded channel is the preferred one... now what is the corerct one lol   

in your case with limited experince in this area we prolly neeed to keep it simple ??? 

u will need the passcode on the rg3800 sticker .. there are two listed one for the wireless key and one for access to the rg3800  gui...

wireless.jpg

click on that link and input he  key   ---         change the wireless channel from **  to 4 or 9  ??  and give it a wirl ??  (sorta trial and errrrrrrror)
the key maybe needed to get into  the section for the settings..  the one above is on 4  as an example so u know what section to llook at and change  fyi
a thought
randy
Message Edited by randyl on 02-18-2009 09:00 AM
Message 7 of 17 (678 Views)
Master

I see you mentioned I-Chat so if this is a Mac try using I-STUMBLER its a free download that gives you info for wireless channel noise signal strength and neighbors stats

around you can see if like randyl said try a different channel this has solved many problems and I have never found automatic to work. 

Message 8 of 17 (678 Views)
Guru

@ Oz:

Correct I have a Mac and through iStumbler I am the only one on signal 7. Best I got is 63% signal. 13% noise. 

Please tell me I can do better. 

Message Edited by SayangM on 02-18-2009 08:51 AM
Message 9 of 17 (678 Views)
Master

I am at 10% noise but my signal is at 93%  how far away is the RG from your computer and I would try a different channel with less noise if possible and are you using a 2.4ghz cordless phone nearby these have caused issues.

Message Edited by oz on 02-18-2009 12:19 PM
Message Edited by oz on 02-18-2009 12:19 PM
Message 10 of 17 (678 Views)
Mentor

put the channel on 10.  other channels will not put out enough power and can lead to signal quality issues.  The default setting on the gateway is Auto which is usually a problem.  Put it on 10, check for EMI (ElectroMagnetic interference).  If there is anything electrical within 3 feet of the gateway it can interfere with the signal. Baby monitors, cordless phones, flourescent lights, treadmills are usually culprits.

Also, if you are using a USB wireless device, make sure it is plugged into the back of the computer not the front.  The front USB ports usually do not put out enough power.

Good luck....

Message 11 of 17 (498 Views)
Guru

I did put the channel on 10, the signal is 59%. I tried all available channels and all are in the 50-62% range. All have 13% noise, so do the neighbors.

I also did check for EMI (ElectroMagnetic interference). We have a baby monitor and cordless phones, but the monitor is not within 3 feet of the gateway or always on and the  

phones we use are "Dect 6.0".

Any other suggestions are welcome.

I hate to think that Uverse not for me? 

Message 12 of 17 (498 Views)
Mentor

I am still guessing EMI or something else that is reducing the signal..The hard part is determining what it is....

Where is the gateway located? What is next to it or near it?  Do you have any stone walls or anything such as that between the gateway and where your computer is  that could limit the signal?

Is this a laptop or pc?  You might try locating the computer temporarily near the gateway(6 feet or so away) and see if the signal strength changes.

I would not think it would be the gateway unless you are having other issues.  How old is your computer and wireless adapter?  You might try reinstalling the drivers for the card to see if that helps too.

Keep us posted. 

Message 13 of 17 (498 Views)
Master

Was an ethernet cable ever tried from the Mac to the RG as Randyl mentioned earlier as to rule out wireless also in the stats on the RG it should show uncorrected errors in the last 15 min if its the RG.
Message 14 of 17 (498 Views)
Contributor

i have the same issue. i am using a macbook and regularly my internet connection stops working. have tried numerous wireless channels. added the two dns address stated elsewhere in the forums, and still having the same issue. oh and my other two window computers are wireless and have no issues.i have also tried swapping out the gateway for another one but still experience the same issue. the odd part is this has only started happening for about the last two months. before that my uverse internet was flawless. i hope somebody here has a solution.thanks in advance
Message Edited by datboijon on 02-24-2009 05:52 PM
Message 15 of 17 (498 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.