Multiple Uverse PVR questions skipping, scanning, conflicts, stream use, etc.

Teacher

Multiple Uverse PVR questions skipping, scanning, conflicts, stream use, etc.

New subscriber here that recently switched over from an ancient Dish Network 501 PVR.  

1.  The "skip back" button skips back 7 seconds instantaneously and acts pretty much as expected.  However, the "skip forward" button seems to "scan" forward about 30 seconds at roughly 10x speed instead of simply just jumping forward 30 seconds.  Is this normal or is there some sort of problem with my setup?

2.  Are there currently any options to change these intervals?  (I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask)

3.  The scan forward buttons have three speeds represented by double, triple, and quadruple arrows.  Anyone have a rough idea of how fast each of these represent?  

4. Also, when I'm scanning forward and the press play to resume normal play the recording always seems to jump back about 15 seconds prior to where I actually stopped fast forwarding.  Is it supposed to do that?  If so, I can definitely get used to it, but like in #1 above I just want to make sure that everything is setup correctly and it is supposed to be doing that.

5.  I've found in the options --> system information menu where it lists a % of disk left, is this listed anywhere else in a more convenient place? (Like in the recordings tab somewhere)

6.  I'm on a 2HD/2SD profile.  Is there some sort of on screen prompt letting me know when I'm using the available streams and causing a recordings conflict or will it just simply cancel a recording in the background.

7.  Is there a setting somewhere in the series recording options to have a series recording set to record an HD channel automatically drop down and record the SD version of the channel if all the HD streams are in use?

8.  From what I can tell from my minimal use the recordings seem to start recording an extra minute early by default and extend a couple minutes after.  The latter seems to be user configurable but the former seems to be a set value.  If I'm recording consecutive shows on the same channel does this short overlap period use 2 of the available incoming streams or do they just simply use a single stream and save it to two files during this overlap.  (I'm asking because I've read elsewhere on this forum that two STB's tuned to the same channel actually only use one of the 4 available streams)

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to make sure I have all the conflicts resolved/workarounds in place before the fall season starts up next month. 

Message 1 of 19 (1,210 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Multiple Uverse PVR questions skipping, scanning, conflicts, stream use, etc.

Jasonofindy wrote:

New subscriber here that recently switched over from an ancient Dish Network 501 PVR.  

1.  The "skip back" button skips back 7 seconds instantaneously and acts pretty much as expected.  However, the "skip forward" button seems to "scan" forward about 30 seconds at roughly 10x speed instead of simply just jumping forward 30 seconds.  Is this normal or is there some sort of problem with my setup? It's normal.

2.  Are there currently any options to change these intervals?  (I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask) No

3.  The scan forward buttons have three speeds represented by double, triple, and quadruple arrows.  Anyone have a rough idea of how fast each of these represent?  2 same as FWD, 3 faster, 4 zoom

4. Also, when I'm scanning forward and the press play to resume normal play the recording always seems to jump back about 15 seconds prior to where I actually stopped fast forwarding.  Is it supposed to do that?  If so, I can definitely get used to it, but like in #1 above I just want to make sure that everything is setup correctly and it is supposed to be doing that. On 1 press of the FF, mentally count 2 beats after when you want to stop and press play.

5.  I've found in the options --> system information menu where it lists a % of disk left, is this listed anywhere else in a more convenient place? (Like in the recordings tab somewhere) Not at this time.

6.  I'm on a 2HD/2SD profile.  Is there some sort of on screen prompt letting me know when I'm using the available streams and causing a recordings conflict or will it just simply cancel a recording in the background. If you schedule something that conflicts, it will prompt resolution, also check Recorded TV>Scheduled to check for x's in a red circle denoting will not record.

7.  Is there a setting somewhere in the series recording options to have a series recording set to record an HD channel automatically drop down and record the SD version of the channel if all the HD streams are in use? Not at this time, have to manually do it.

8.  From what I can tell from my minimal use the recordings seem to start recording an extra minute early by default and extend a couple minutes after.  The latter seems to be user configurable but the former seems to be a set value.  If I'm recording consecutive shows on the same channel does this short overlap period use 2 of the available incoming streams or do they just simply use a single stream and save it to two files during this overlap. Yes  (I'm asking because I've read elsewhere on this forum that two STB's tuned to the same channel actually only use one of the 4 available streams) It's soft padding and will not cause a conflict as it will self-adjust atomatically.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to make sure I have all the conflicts resolved/workarounds in place before the fall season starts up next month. 

Also new firmware will let you prioitize series that are setup.  Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 19 (1,210 Views)
Teacher

Re: Multiple Uverse PVR questions skipping, scanning, conflicts, stream use, etc.

Thank you very much for your responses.  

Just a quick follow-up on number 6.  I realize that if I schedule conflicting recordings that it will prompt me when I'm doing the scheduling.  My more specific concern is what actually happens if conflicts are created because people are actively using some of the available streams.  i.e. I have 3 programs scheduled to record at a particular time but my wife is watching other live TV in the living room where the DVR is and my daughter is watching something else live on one of the other STB's.  Does it simply cancel the lowest priority recording? or Does it switch off one of the programs my wife or daughter is viewing?  If the latter, what is priority of the STB's and is there any kind of on-screen prompt a minute or two before this occurs so that you can manually fix the conflict?

Thanks.

PS So far we are really enjoying U-verse.

Message 3 of 19 (1,210 Views)
ACE - Master

Jasonofindy wrote:

4. Also, when I'm scanning forward and the press play to resume normal play the recording always seems to jump back about 15 seconds prior to where I actually stopped fast forwarding.  Is it supposed to do that?  If so, I can definitely get used to it, but like in #1 above I just want to make sure that everything is setup correctly and it is supposed to be doing that.

Welcome!  What side of Indy are you on?  I am near I-70 and Post Rd.

I actually LOVE #4.  I love auto racing and often will record NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races and the Nationwide races since I can't watch them all live.  If I'm in a crunch, I will often FF right through a race until I see a caution flag, an interview, green flag pit stops and so on.  When I see one of my "triggers," I will press play and if like magic, it will "roll back" to just before what I want to see.  That is too cool.  No having to guestimate how far to go back.

We also record lots of shows and FF through the commercials.  as soon as we see the show return, we press play and although we might catch five or so seconds of the last commercial, the show is "bam!" right there.  We did not have this feature with Comcast.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 19 (1,210 Views)
Teacher

dhascall wrote:

Welcome!  What side of Indy are you on?  I am near I-70 and Post Rd.

I actually LOVE #4.  I love auto racing and often will record NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races and the Nationwide races since I can't watch them all live.  If I'm in a crunch, I will often FF right through a race until I see a caution flag, an interview, green flag pit stops and so on.  When I see one of my "triggers," I will press play and if like magic, it will "roll back" to just before what I want to see.  That is too cool.  No having to guestimate how far to go back.

We also record lots of shows and FF through the commercials.  as soon as we see the show return, we press play and although we might catch five or so seconds of the last commercial, the show is "bam!" right there.  We did not have this feature with Comcast.

I'm on the southside, near Center Grove High School.  I'm not familiar with Comcast's DVRs as they weren't yet available when I lived in Marion county and had Comcast TV.  I've had Dish Network for the past 8 years, but it is actually Comcast that prompted my change to U-verse.  They bought my previous cable internet provider (Insight) a couple of years ago and my internet service has seemed to continuously deteriorate since they took over.  I decided to just switch everything to U-verse a couple of weeks ago, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

I can definitely see where #4 would be helpful once you get used to it.  Like the 30 second "scan" instead of "skip" in #1 I was just making sure it was supposed to be doing that.  I'm still acclimating to using FF to scan past commercials as I'm used to just tapping the 30 sec skip 3-5 times to jump through them.   

Message 5 of 19 (1,210 Views)
Expert

Welcome to Uverse.

Message 6 of 19 (1,210 Views)
Expert

Jasonofindy wrote:

Just a quick follow-up on number 6.  I realize that if I schedule conflicting recordings that it will prompt me when I'm doing the scheduling.  My more specific concern is what actually happens if conflicts are created because people are actively using some of the available streams.  i.e. I have 3 programs scheduled to record at a particular time but my wife is watching other live TV in the living room where the DVR is and my daughter is watching something else live on one of the other STB's.  Does it simply cancel the lowest priority recording? or Does it switch off one of the programs my wife or daughter is viewing?  If the latter, what is priority of the STB's and is there any kind of on-screen prompt a minute or two before this occurs so that you can manually fix the conflict?

One of the people who are watching a live stream will get a pop-up that states that their stream might get instrrupted in order to start recording.  They are given two buttons, one that goes to the guide so that they can choose a different channel, and another button to cancel the scheduled recording.  The person who gets the pop-up is the one who has been continuously watching their live channel for the shortest time period.

For a more conprehensive display of streams that are in use, being watched, being recorded, and DVR space, click the link in my signature that says "U-Verse Realtime", download it, install it, run it, and enable the Channels/Streams feature.

Message 7 of 19 (1,210 Views)
Expert

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Jasonofindy wrote:

One of the people who are watching a live stream will get a pop-up that states that their stream might get instrrupted in order to start recording.  They are given two buttons, one that goes to the guide so that they can choose a different channel, and another button to cancel the scheduled recording.  The person who gets the pop-up is the one who has been continuously watching their live channel for the shortest time period.

For a more conprehensive display of streams that are in use, being watched, being recorded, and DVR space, click the link in my signature that says "U-Verse Realtime", download it, install it, run it, and enable the Channels/Streams feature.

Joe, it has been my experience that the stb that has been on the longest time got interrupted.  That is what happens here.

Message 8 of 19 (1,210 Views)
Teacher

Thank you very much for the information guys

Message 9 of 19 (1,210 Views)
ACE - Master

You are welcome.  Good forum / group here - for the most part.

Message 10 of 19 (1,210 Views)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

You are welcome.  Good forum / group here - for the most part.

It is a good forum/group, except for those members who come to the forum for one purpose -- to cause trouble!

Message 11 of 19 (904 Views)
ACE - Master

Yep. 

Message 12 of 19 (904 Views)
Expert

:smileysurprised:

Message 13 of 19 (904 Views)
ACE - Master

Besides the one "August 2nd" dude, I wonder who he thinks is causing trouble?

Message 14 of 19 (904 Views)

we have gateway tv- + 2 extras with tvs. Cannot play live or recorded tv on the 2 extras at the same time---can only play one at a time-if nothing is recording. the pictures freeze up - even on live tv- and cannot be watched.

Message 15 of 19 (904 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.