Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 3, 2011
12:52:58 PM
View profile
Multiple DVRs with Red X two dots

We have had U-Verse in the Dallas area for 2 months and I've had to replace our DVR 5 times because of what they determine as hard drive issues.

The last 2 DVRs straight from the box have had Red X with 2 dot failures, one after 4 days the second after 2 hours from initial setup. The DVR on the current failure keeps beeping every second.

Technicians have replaced DVRs and all cables, but the power strip has not been changed. Can a power strip cause these Red X two dot failures?

Interesting thing is cs and technician told me they are having several Red X issues with new DVRs. Is there any way not to get these "new DVRs"?

Thanks

We have had U-Verse in the Dallas area for 2 months and I've had to replace our DVR 5 times because of what they determine as hard drive issues.

The last 2 DVRs straight from the box have had Red X with 2 dot failures, one after 4 days the second after 2 hours from initial setup. The DVR on the current failure keeps beeping every second.

Technicians have replaced DVRs and all cables, but the power strip has not been changed. Can a power strip cause these Red X two dot failures?

Interesting thing is cs and technician told me they are having several Red X issues with new DVRs. Is there any way not to get these "new DVRs"?

Thanks

Multiple DVRs with Red X two dots

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2011 5:07:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Click on the hyper link in my sig and send David an email.  He is a tier 2 tech who has helped lots of people with a wide variety of problems.  He or a member of his staff will be in touch.  I don't think the problem is definitely with the dvrs, it could be another issue.  But contact him.

Click on the hyper link in my sig and send David an email.  He is a tier 2 tech who has helped lots of people with a wide variety of problems.  He or a member of his staff will be in touch.  I don't think the problem is definitely with the dvrs, it could be another issue.  But contact him.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Multiple DVRs with Red X two dots

2 of 8 (4,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 5:11:29 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by oochaDog on Jun 4, 2011 at 5:16:52 PM

After receiving our 5th DVR yesterday, this morning I noticed that the DVR would not power up. The only thing that has not been swapped out is the HDMI cable. This cable is very thick and probably over 20ft long since it goes into the ceiling and back down into another wall. I've swapped the with a brand new 16ft. HDMI cable and the DVR booted up and worked for a few hours, then we received 3 round dots on the screen, then the machine went into factory reset mode and now yet again Red X two square dots.

Technicians said HDMI wouldn't make these problems but we had to test ourselves. We switched to a 6ft HDMI cable to see if we can get away from the Red Xs. After a factory reset with the 6th HDMI cable the DVR is working!! 

So now I need to figure out a way get this type of DVR to work with a 16ft HDMI cable reliably. This current DVR is the Motorola Model VIP1225.

After receiving our 5th DVR yesterday, this morning I noticed that the DVR would not power up. The only thing that has not been swapped out is the HDMI cable. This cable is very thick and probably over 20ft long since it goes into the ceiling and back down into another wall. I've swapped the with a brand new 16ft. HDMI cable and the DVR booted up and worked for a few hours, then we received 3 round dots on the screen, then the machine went into factory reset mode and now yet again Red X two square dots.

Technicians said HDMI wouldn't make these problems but we had to test ourselves. We switched to a 6ft HDMI cable to see if we can get away from the Red Xs. After a factory reset with the 6th HDMI cable the DVR is working!! 

So now I need to figure out a way get this type of DVR to work with a 16ft HDMI cable reliably. This current DVR is the Motorola Model VIP1225.

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (4,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 6:22:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Check out this company - they show a video with 150ft HDMI cable. Maybe the splitter would make your 16ft cable work. Or, maybe you just need one of their cables.

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp

Check out this company - they show a video with 150ft HDMI cable. Maybe the splitter would make your 16ft cable work. Or, maybe you just need one of their cables.

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (4,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 6:25:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Jun 4, 2011 at 6:26:49 PM

oochaDog wrote:

I would suggest you plug the DVR directly into the outlet and bypass the power strip as sometimes they can cause problems.  Assuming you used different power sources from 16'/20' HDMI cables (should work w/these, although the shorter the better) and 6' HDMI cable, that could be the reason it is working on the 6' HDMI cable (probably some of the other 4 DVRs would've done the same thing). 

I've had a Moto 1216 for almost 3 years w/no problems.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

oochaDog wrote:

I would suggest you plug the DVR directly into the outlet and bypass the power strip as sometimes they can cause problems.  Assuming you used different power sources from 16'/20' HDMI cables (should work w/these, although the shorter the better) and 6' HDMI cable, that could be the reason it is working on the 6' HDMI cable (probably some of the other 4 DVRs would've done the same thing). 

I've had a Moto 1216 for almost 3 years w/no problems.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (4,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 8:11:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

oochaDog wrote:

I don't remember exactly why this is but you need to use the shortest hdmi cable you can between the stb the tv.  The explanation was given before the merge and it could be gone now.  If you can use a much shorter hdmi cable on the dvr try it.  And you don't have to buy a really expensive hdmi cable either.

oochaDog wrote:

I don't remember exactly why this is but you need to use the shortest hdmi cable you can between the stb the tv.  The explanation was given before the merge and it could be gone now.  If you can use a much shorter hdmi cable on the dvr try it.  And you don't have to buy a really expensive hdmi cable either.

6 of 8 (4,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2011 7:55:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for all your recommendations. DVR is working great for the last day with the 6ft cable. I'll look into purchasing a higher quality 16ft HDMI cable to see if that will help. Wife isn't too thrilled about the cable showing now... Smiley Happy

One other interesting note. The 3 DVRs that were returned because of the Red Xs all failed on the self test when the Motoplr testing software was run by the technician and the longer HDMI cable was being used.

Thanks for all your recommendations. DVR is working great for the last day with the 6ft cable. I'll look into purchasing a higher quality 16ft HDMI cable to see if that will help. Wife isn't too thrilled about the cable showing now... Smiley Happy

One other interesting note. The 3 DVRs that were returned because of the Red Xs all failed on the self test when the Motoplr testing software was run by the technician and the longer HDMI cable was being used.

7 of 8 (4,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2011 9:09:39 AM
(0)
Expert

oochaDog wrote:

Check out Monoprice.com for HDMI cables.  All of them are category 2 certified, unlike most other HDMI cables.

High Speed Certified 22AWG 20' HDMI Cable - $20.56.

oochaDog wrote:

Check out Monoprice.com for HDMI cables.  All of them are category 2 certified, unlike most other HDMI cables.

High Speed Certified 22AWG 20' HDMI Cable - $20.56.

8 of 8 (4,287 Views)