Mounting a receiver vertical..

Contributor

Mounting a receiver vertical..

I have a 23" wall mounted TV in the kitchen and because of space limitations I want to mount the receiver behind the TV in a vertical position. 

We have tested it this was by holding it by hand and it works find. Anything unusual in the receiver that would not allow this?

Message 1 of 10
Expert

Re: Mounting a receiver vertical..

The dvr is a hard drive as you know.  You can tun it on it's side and see if it works,

Message 2 of 10
Professor

You very likely will run into serious cooling issues, especially with the way you want to mount it, behind the TV. The cooling vents are on top of the boxes and since heat rises they need to be properly exposed for adequate ventilation. The Do's and Don'ts of the Moto operating manual says not to mount the box vertically. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/motorola-vip-1200-receiver.pdf

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert

I have had the DVR vertical - no problem. Since the IR receiver is on the front of the DVR, you may want to bonce the IR signal off the ceiling. Or, if you have it upside down, bounce it off the floor.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

You might be able to find a better location if you used a point anywhere remote. I heard they were on sale.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Teacher

jfw wrote:

You very likely will run into serious cooling issues, especially with the way you want to mount it, behind the TV. The cooling vents are on top of the boxes and since heat rises they need to be properly exposed for adequate ventilation. The Do's and Don't of the Moto operating manual says not to mount the box vertically. http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/motorola-vip-1200-receiver.pdf

We have stands to provide to customers to allow the vertical STB positioning. The manual you reference above says please don't position the 1216 or 1225 DVR unit vertical. The 1200-the regular STB- should have no issue at all, as long as it can breathe. And for the record- we also have stands that position the 1216 and the 1225 in the vertical orientation, and I know of several installs where the dvr is vertical and they have been running problem free for YEARS.

The most creative one I have personally witnessed was a customer who had velcro'd his DVR behind the TV. At the time, that customer had required no service calls in over 3 years, and only required a visit after a tree took down his aerial.  Velcro is cool.

A larger issue is airflow and don't move the DVR while it is powered on.  Damage to the harddrive can easily occur if the unit is powered on and you move, jiggle or drop the thing. Before moving it-power off and wait a few seconds. Also, if your unit "feels" hot to the touch- it can't breathe adequately. Get it some air.

As always, YMMV.

Ana

Message 6 of 10
Professor

Learn something new everyday.:smileywink:

Message 7 of 10
Contributor

Thanks for the info. My receiver is IPN330HD that came with the Uverse package. Would this model be similar to the models numbers  mentioned in some of the replys?

Message 8 of 10
ACE - Expert

Looks like the IPN330HD is the Cisco version of the 1200 (non DVR STB), which was said to have no issues. The case for the Cisco/SA looks quite different than that for the Motorola, therefore, could have different cooling issues. 

Here is link to inst manual check ventillation cautions -

http://www.tdstelecom.com/tdstv/ipn330hd.pdf

Message 9 of 10
Teacher

Hello,

The 330 is the Cisco STB, non-DVR. The DVR model numbers are 4320 and 430.

Cooling is similar. Neither DVR models have fans anymore, they are all naturally vented. Might still see them in the field, but they stopped putting fans in all DVR's round about 2+ years ago.

When siting them, if possible, keep them in an OPEN cabinet. NOT stacked on things that are known huge heat throwers. Big ones to avoid are receivers.

On a personal level- the cisco stb do "seem" to get a little warmer than the moto versions. Might just be my imagination though. I have cisco at home and only "work" in moto area's so I simply don't have day to day "how hot is my box" (keep the jokes down) testing abilities. Heat on the UV boxes can cause some very strange behavior too... 

I did fry my slingbox. It was on top of a cisco 330 and it cooked itself. For that reason alone- if you can, avoid stacking units. Try for at least open backed cabinets. As purty as closed cabinetry looks it can cook a lot of electronics...  Or- add a few used computer fans to the sides to get your stuff some air.  We do it all the time for MH lighting boxes on SW aquariums.  They are low voltage, easy to wire, cheap, run quiet, and in a closed cabinet can save you thousands on either repairs or equipment replacement costs. And there are a few dozen instructables on the web to walk you thru it...

HTH...  PS... I am about to use the velcro trick myself on an install today. No place to put a box except behind a flat screen tv in a business. Should work out cool, and the cx was wide eyed and excited when I told her how we could put the box up when I did a quick looksee the day before. 

Ana

Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support