More Apple TV Questions

Mentor

More Apple TV Questions

Like many others, I'm still trouble shooting why when I try to rent a movie on the new Apple TV it takes 8+ hours to load. Today, I noticed on the Apple trouble shooting tips this.

If you are connecting your Apple TV to your network via Ethernet, Apple TV requires a 10/100BASE-T or
faster Ethernet network.

Can someone explain what this means? And is this something the uveres gateway/router supports?

Thanks in advance,

Jessme

Message 1 of 3 (840 Views)
Tutor

Re: More Apple TV Questions

that's just a standard ethernet cable connection.  which is what your gateway and apple tv have. 

that wired connection will probably produce faster results than if you are trying to download wirelessly.  HD movies will also take longer because they are bigger sized files.  And like anything, it will depend on what other traffic is tying up the network too.  you shouldn't have any problems browsing the net at the same time as apple tv is downloading....but if you are trying to watch youtube videos or other heavily loaded content, that will slow down apple tv too. 

Message 2 of 3 (819 Views)
Mentor

Re: More Apple TV Questions

Other users with this issue report the problem is using Google's or OpenDNS name servers. 

I use the standard Uverse AT&T name servers and movies start playing within a few seconds.

Your internet speed may also affect your experience.

FYI, here is a link to the forum discussion: 

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/appletv/index.html#d04jan2011

Message 3 of 3 (720 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.