Ask a question

Posted Oct 15, 2008
8:13:36 PM
View profile
Modem Troubles
I have a 2Wire 1070B modem that keeps crashing (get knocked off internet).  This has happened on more than one occassion and I have contacted Customer Service several times.  Each time they would help me out temporarily but it keeps happening.  Finally, they sent a technician out (twice) to check things out - outside of my home.  Everything seems to be working properly - no issues that they could find.  Well, it happened again last evening so I was all set to call them and give them the "riot act" except they were experiencing high call volume.  I decided to wait until morning to call and go figure it was fine and my computer was up and running.  What could be causing this?  Should AT&T replace my modem?  Please! - any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated. It's making me crazy!! Thanks!

Modem Troubles

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2008 7:18:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Go to this site, copy and paste your stats to a post so we can take a look at them.

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=B04

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Modem Troubles

2 of 7 (547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2008 8:41:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

That is a DSL modem, not Uverse.

If the techs verified everything was good to the NID then there may be an inside wiring issue. If you plug a phone in to that jack do you have good clean dial tone?

3 of 7 (547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2008 8:44:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

When you say you get knocked off, are you getting any red lights on the modem?

With basic DSL, it could be from a filter gone bad. From what I have experienced, AT&T will not give you any modem beyond the one you got when you started your account (although you might be able to cinvince them to send you a new batch of filters). You will have to go to Best Buy or some similar store and purchase a new one.

Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 10-16-2008 10:49 PM
Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 10-16-2008 10:52 PM

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2008 9:07:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
You can also plug the modem straight in to the jack without a filter to try and isolate the trouble. Of course you will not be able to use a phone at that jack in the mean time.

5 of 7 (547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2008 9:19:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dannyt wrote:
You can also plug the modem straight in to the jack without a filter to try and isolate the trouble. Of course you will not be able to use a phone at that jack in the mean time.

Could be a filter at another location in the home too.

neon_sign.jpg

6 of 7 (547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2008 11:26:50 PM
(0)
Expert

That's what I had to do...or re-do the deal to get a rebate and make the modem free.

Computer-Joe wrote:

When you say you get knocked off, are you getting any red lights on the modem?

With basic DSL, it could be from a filter gone bad. From what I have experienced, AT&T will not give you any modem beyond the one you got when you started your account (although you might be able to cinvince them to send you a new batch of filters). You will have to go to Best Buy or some similar store and purchase a new one.

Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 10-16-2008 10:49 PM
Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 10-16-2008 10:52 PM

7 of 7 (547 Views)