Modem/Router Turns off and then on again (resets) + only bursts of speed

Contributor

Modem/Router Turns off and then on again (resets) + only bursts of speed

I had U-Verse installed approximately 3 weeks ago and have had issues since get-go.  After two calls to tech support, I'm still not happy.

I'm on a MAC,  OSX if that helps and uh.. not super tech savvy.   And for the record I have basic TV installed but never watch it.  Will be getting rid of it as soon as I can.  Only installed it so I didn't have to pay the $150 installation fee.

1.   I am signed up for the Max Plus, but my speeds are very much not consistent.   I get bursts of speed, followed by almost zero traffic.    It's in a predicable 2-3 minute pattern.   The phone tech had me change channels which kind of work for a few days but it's started all over again.  Keep changing the channel?

___        ___        ___       ___

Traffic looks like this  ___|       |___|      |___|     |___|     |__      It cuts off abruptly and then speeds up abruptly.

2.  For the last couple days, my router has taken it upon itself to turn itself off then right back on again every once in awhile - about 2-3 times a day as far as I can tell.  At first I thought it was my network settings on the MAC.. and then realized it was actually the modem when I watched it do it.

I don't know if this would affect anything, but I live in a Victorian triplex and my upstairs neighbors recently got U-Verse installed too.  Could that be affecting it?   Thought I'd ask here for any opinion before I call tech support yet again tonight when I get home.

Message 1 of 3
Tutor

Re: Modem/Router Turns off and then on again (resets) + only bursts of speed

Try unplugging the power cable at the back of your Residential Gateway / Router for 30 seconds and see if that works.

Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: Modem/Router Turns off and then on again (resets) + only bursts of speed

Yes, I've done that a couple times.  Still same issues. 

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support