Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 5, 2008
11:57:20 AM
View profile
Mode not supported problem

Help! :womansad: Has anyone had this problem?  I can be watching any show and the screen goes black and you get a message in the middle "mode not supported" or "not supported mode" ??  It happens sporadically and is worse on commercials.  I have 3 Samsung tv's - 2 have digital tuners.  Those 2 are the ones that I have the problem with.  The tv without a digital tuner works just fine.  I called Tech support and he had me unplug the RG and then plug it back in - waited for it to fully boot and then did a soft boot on a receiver.  Since it is sporadic it worked fine while he was on the phone but then later, happened again.  I love Uverse TV but this part of it is very annoying.  The receivers and DVR are connected with component cables not HDMI which I understand is a good think.  Any ideas??  :smileysad:

Help! :womansad: Has anyone had this problem?  I can be watching any show and the screen goes black and you get a message in the middle "mode not supported" or "not supported mode" ??  It happens sporadically and is worse on commercials.  I have 3 Samsung tv's - 2 have digital tuners.  Those 2 are the ones that I have the problem with.  The tv without a digital tuner works just fine.  I called Tech support and he had me unplug the RG and then plug it back in - waited for it to fully boot and then did a soft boot on a receiver.  Since it is sporadic it worked fine while he was on the phone but then later, happened again.  I love Uverse TV but this part of it is very annoying.  The receivers and DVR are connected with component cables not HDMI which I understand is a good think.  Any ideas??  :smileysad:

Mode not supported problem

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2008 12:44:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've experienced the same thing on my Samsung LCD (which is only about 6 months old).  

We just got U-Verse to replace dish 10 days ago and the guy literally just pulled the dish STB out and put the UV STB in its place, using all the existing cables I already had.

I was using component for video and optical for audio (into my receiver).  I was getting the annoying error you're talking about quite frequently.  The audio was fine though.  I bet you'll notice that you're getting sound just not video.

I switched from using component cables to HDMI (for VIDEO ONLY) and it has not happened since.  I still use optical for audio into the receiver, just switched from comp to HDMI for the video.

Hope it helps.  If you don't have an HDMI cable, don't spend a lot of money on one - go to monoprice. 

I've experienced the same thing on my Samsung LCD (which is only about 6 months old).  

We just got U-Verse to replace dish 10 days ago and the guy literally just pulled the dish STB out and put the UV STB in its place, using all the existing cables I already had.

I was using component for video and optical for audio (into my receiver).  I was getting the annoying error you're talking about quite frequently.  The audio was fine though.  I bet you'll notice that you're getting sound just not video.

I switched from using component cables to HDMI (for VIDEO ONLY) and it has not happened since.  I still use optical for audio into the receiver, just switched from comp to HDMI for the video.

Hope it helps.  If you don't have an HDMI cable, don't spend a lot of money on one - go to monoprice. 

Re: Mode not supported problem

2 of 14 (3,248 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2008 1:19:55 PM
(0)
Expert

discgolfer wrote:

I absolutely second Monoprice.  Try this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&for...

$4.74 !

Message Edited by SomeJoe7777 on 12-05-2008 03:20 PM

discgolfer wrote:

I absolutely second Monoprice.  Try this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

$4.74 !

Message Edited by SomeJoe7777 on 12-05-2008 03:20 PM

3 of 14 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2008 3:32:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

I ordered three of them today. :smileywink:

I ordered three of them today. :smileywink:

4 of 14 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2008 6:27:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

Here is an update on my "mode not supported" problem - I contacted Samsung and they were confused by it also since Uverse was hooked up by component cables but the tech didn't seem to know what Uverse was.  Samsung has going to send someone to look at the tv but in the meantime I call ATT again and they dispatched someone that day.  I explained to him what I received on this blog and he tried the HDMI cable and YES IT WORKED!!!  so far I have not received the message again and the picture is great.  When I did get the "mode not supported" message I did not get video or sound but his has definitely fixed it. 

Thank you so much for the feedback!!!

Have a great Holiday!

:smileyvery-happy:

Here is an update on my "mode not supported" problem - I contacted Samsung and they were confused by it also since Uverse was hooked up by component cables but the tech didn't seem to know what Uverse was.  Samsung has going to send someone to look at the tv but in the meantime I call ATT again and they dispatched someone that day.  I explained to him what I received on this blog and he tried the HDMI cable and YES IT WORKED!!!  so far I have not received the message again and the picture is great.  When I did get the "mode not supported" message I did not get video or sound but his has definitely fixed it. 

Thank you so much for the feedback!!!

Have a great Holiday!

:smileyvery-happy:

5 of 14 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2008 11:38:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

My family recently got att u-verse and we have had a multitude of problems with the display. To name a few the screen spontaniously goes glichty-green and then resumes back to normal. Another one is the dislplay flickers on and off and last this morning it showed a message "mode not supported". Just what i needed another promblem, but to my personal need i think its the cables and not the TV its self. An HDMI calbe might be just what i need to resolve this dilema, hopefully its gonna work. Thanx guys for keeping up with the forums it really helps alot:smileyhappy:

-Franco Colomba

Jacksonville, FL

My family recently got att u-verse and we have had a multitude of problems with the display. To name a few the screen spontaniously goes glichty-green and then resumes back to normal. Another one is the dislplay flickers on and off and last this morning it showed a message "mode not supported". Just what i needed another promblem, but to my personal need i think its the cables and not the TV its self. An HDMI calbe might be just what i need to resolve this dilema, hopefully its gonna work. Thanx guys for keeping up with the forums it really helps alot:smileyhappy:

-Franco Colomba

Jacksonville, FL

6 of 14 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2008 2:38:51 PM
(0)
Teacher
Best of luck to ya - let us know how it goes.
Best of luck to ya - let us know how it goes.

7 of 14 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2008 11:35:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

HDMI cable connection is always best with HD TV's

proven and tested

proven and tested

8 of 14 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2008 6:55:10 AM
(0)
Expert

FritzDale wrote:

proven and tested

Sure.  Except in the 50% of cases where it doesn't work.  :smileysurprised:

FritzDale wrote:

proven and tested

Sure.  Except in the 50% of cases where it doesn't work.  :smileysurprised:

9 of 14 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2010 10:33:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am having this same "mode not supported" problem with my samsung LCD tv too.  It happens when intermittently when I push a button on the remote, usually related to recording a program.  The screen goes black and the message "mode not supported" pops up.  I have to press and hold the power button on the Uverse box to fix the problem. 

As for the HDMI cable to fix the problem... I have been using an HDMI cable (purchased from MonoPrice--can't beat those prices) for quite a while.  This problem has just cropped up in the last couple weeks.

I am having this same "mode not supported" problem with my samsung LCD tv too.  It happens when intermittently when I push a button on the remote, usually related to recording a program.  The screen goes black and the message "mode not supported" pops up.  I have to press and hold the power button on the Uverse box to fix the problem. 

As for the HDMI cable to fix the problem... I have been using an HDMI cable (purchased from MonoPrice--can't beat those prices) for quite a while.  This problem has just cropped up in the last couple weeks.

10 of 14 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2010 11:35:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

I called AT&T - they came out and supplied the HDMI cable.  I was told that usually the problem WAS the HDMI cable but not in this case, I needed one.  Have not had the problem since and it is been about 1 year. 

I called AT&T - they came out and supplied the HDMI cable.  I was told that usually the problem WAS the HDMI cable but not in this case, I needed one.  Have not had the problem since and it is been about 1 year. 

11 of 14 (1,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2010 7:18:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Now that you mention it, the last time the Uverse tech visited the house due to the IR interference issue the tech supplied a new HDMI cable.  I wonder what the next step is?

Now that you mention it, the last time the Uverse tech visited the house due to the IR interference issue the tech supplied a new HDMI cable.  I wonder what the next step is?

12 of 14 (1,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2010 1:50:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

You can get them even cheaper on eBay, with free shipping. I bought 3 for $3.00 each, free ship. Don't ever fall for those expensive Best Buy/WalMart/Monster cables. You're just wasting money.

You can get them even cheaper on eBay, with free shipping. I bought 3 for $3.00 each, free ship. Don't ever fall for those expensive Best Buy/WalMart/Monster cables. You're just wasting money.

13 of 14 (1,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 8:20:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

There are no current (MAR2011) comments here, so HDMI cables must have solved problems, but not here.  I have always had a HDMI cable connected from the receiver to my Samsung TV and I still, on occasion, get 'Mode Not Supported' messages.  I guess I thought it was a U-verse issue and not one with the Samsung TV.  BHJ  21MAR2011

There are no current (MAR2011) comments here, so HDMI cables must have solved problems, but not here.  I have always had a HDMI cable connected from the receiver to my Samsung TV and I still, on occasion, get 'Mode Not Supported' messages.  I guess I thought it was a U-verse issue and not one with the Samsung TV.  BHJ  21MAR2011

14 of 14 (1,728 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments