Ask a question

Posted Aug 5, 2010
    3:51:29 AM
    View profile
    Main DVR box keeps freezing up

I have just had my install done about two weeks ago. At least once a day, the main DVR box locks up and needs to be reooted. I have tried the OK/down arrow while pulling the plug and it still happens again the next day. I have called AT&T support about six times and have been told there is nothing they can do and it is working fine. The install used CAT5 cabling and the other to TV's are not affected. Last night while watching the baseball game, this happened again. This infuriates me. I missed about an inning and a half of the game waiting for the reboot. I called tech support again and they are finally sending a tech out today. If this cannot be rectified I will be heading back to Comcast.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix this?

Main DVR box keeps freezing up

15 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (15)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 5, 2010 6:44:14 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Contact David by clicking on the hyper link in my sig.  Give him all of your info and he or a member of his team will get in touch with you.  He has helped many people get issues resolved when they couldn't get any results by contacting ts directly.  Let us know what happens.  Here is another link to reach David as well.

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Main DVR box keeps freezing up

2 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 5, 2010 7:51:43 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Thanks for the reply RCSMG, I will be giving the tech who comes out today his shot at it. If this still goes unresolved, I will be contacting David via your link.

thanks again,

x

3 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 5, 2010 1:52:25 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Technician supposed to arrive between noon and 4pm. It is now 5pm and no sign of him......Grrrrr!!!

4 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 5, 2010 8:16:36 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Welcome to AT&T! I finally had to give up and return to Time Warner as much as I dislike them. Wait until you find out what you have to do to return equipment. I am still being billed for service I did not receive!

5 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 5, 2010 8:53:25 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

My DVR keeps freezing up. Rebooting at least 3xdaily.  Last week my old DVR erased all shows after freezing and rebooting. So after jumping through all their hoops and going through tier 1 and tier 2 they finally sent out a guy to say that the DVR was broken... however my problems have not been solved.  Considering returning to Dish - which served us very well for 5 years.

6 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 6, 2010 9:44:42 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I had the same problem - freezing, having to reboot. Twice now, I've lost all of the recordings on the DVR. Technician came out this morning, exactly on time, very friendly. Without even looking at the system, he replaced my DVR. Hope it works this time! He said that the gossip is that, eventually, they'll stop using the Motorola boxes and switch to Cisco, which has better track record. Miami is already doing this. He also said ATT is exploring possibility of servers to act as backup so that all DVR recordings are not lost when errors occur.

7 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 6, 2010 11:29:50 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Y'all need to contact David and his tier 2 team here:
    http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

Provide all info required and it might take a short bit of time before they contact you. Give a good phone # and time to call. They will solve your problems, good luck. :smileywink:

David & Matt are AT&T technicians who frequently visit uverseusers.com in order to help people. They are very credible and have helped many people here. If you are having a problem with your U-verse system and AT&T is giving you a hard time resolving the problem, then you can contact David & Matt.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
    1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
    Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
    I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 6, 2010 1:57:51 PM
    (0)
    Explorer

Xfarmer,

What was the outcome.  Did the tech tell you what the problem was, or just replace the box. 

I had my main box replaced twice in the first four months of service.  One was due to a failed hard drive, not sure what the other one was.

9 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 6, 2010 3:09:00 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

I don't know if these reboots are because of updates/upgrades or if there are problems with installs, or some of the dvrs being issued are refurbished.  Something has to be done with the dvrs that fail and are sent back to ATT.  Just a thought.

10 of 16 (4,990 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 6, 2010 5:52:02 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

OK,

The tech came out yesterday and checked the install and cabling. He said everything looked good and determined that I had a "refurbed" DVR box. He said they are frequently given the refurb boxes for new installations and that they are not always truly refurbished. When a box gets turned in because it is malfunctioning, they are sent back to the manufacturer for testing and refurbishing. If the problem with the box was intermittent, it may get sent back out as being refurbished. The technician replaced the DVR box with a brand new one last night and so far no freezes. I hope this fixes this issue. I guess the bottom line is, insist on new equipment if you are having problems. I will report back if there any further issues, but so far, so good :smileyhappy:

x

11 of 16 (3,937 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 6, 2010 6:18:49 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

I talked to a tech last year and he told me when bad boxes get sent back to ATT they wipe the boxes before sending them back to Motorola.  When they get the boxes they don't detect any problems with them because there is no info on the boxes.  Can't fix what they can't find, so they send them back un repaired.

12 of 16 (3,937 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 26, 2010 3:48:04 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I have been having the same problem.  Had to reboot dvr 2 or 3 times a day.  I called them out and the Technician replaced the dvr.  Here we are a week later, new dvr and it froze up!  Took 3 reboots to get it working.  Grrrr.

13 of 16 (3,876 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 26, 2010 5:11:25 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

When you called ts did the csr check your service for errors?  If not that would be a good idea.  You can also go to this link and download the app.  Then post screen shots of your services so that other subs can view your stats and offer suggestions.

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

14 of 16 (3,856 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 16, 2011 7:38:50 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

These boxes totally suck.. I have lost so many scheduled recordings... I have to reboot this box over and over and over.. Refurbished or not this system needs really fixing... The amount of money that I have to pay and still compaired to Dish Network still is a mile behind.. the only thing that works great for me is the internet.. But this fancy tv box truly sucks.. the hard drive should be replaced with a solid state drive then that would help solve all the problems they are having..

The hard drive has a sleep state to avoid burning and that is where the freezing comes in.. But AT&T is to cheap to spend on those type of drives.. I'm about to cancel the tv service because Dish Network has them beat on TV service..

15 of 16 (3,518 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 17, 2011 3:21:10 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Click on the below link, download the Realtime App, run it and post screen shots of your stats.  There could be issues with your service.

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

16 of 16 (3,498 Views)