MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

Tutor

MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

I am having problems maintaining a constant wireless U-verse internet connection using both my MacBook and iMac computers. However, my PC notebook maintains a steady wireless internet connection. I have the Max internet connection from U-verse.

The Airport icon in the top right hand side of the screen disappears for 30-60 seconds before restoring the U-verse connection. This problems occurs on both the MacBook and iMac. It occurs every 30 minutes or so.

Has anybody else experienced this problem using a Mac? Is it related to the WPA password not being held by the Mac constantly?

I currently resolve the problem either by waiting 30-60 seconds or I click the Airport icon in the top right hand side of the screen, choose the U-verse wireless connection from the drop-down list (the U-verse wireless service appears each time in the list) and then the internet connection is restored.

Very strange given that the PC notebook does not encounter any problems. I even installed a small wireless signal strength application on the PC to check that the wireless is not dropping out. I have not noticed it drop out yet.

Thanks,
Ben
Tags (1)
3,950 Views
Message 1 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

I really like the performance of the television portion of the Uverse service. The internet service however is lacking in that I keep getting a dropped signal. That's not acceptable. I didn't like TimeWarner's television service, but I must say that their internet signal was always working.

Uverse technical support is useless.

I most sincerely regret having made the change from TimeWarner to Uverse.

My family was right - I should have stayed with TW.

I've always heard that DSL based systems are like herding cats to get it to work right. I should have listened. I so regret it. My system worked fine before.
Message 16 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection



tom53151 wrote:
No, I did not and do not have a router behind a router - I'm using the provider Uverse 2Wire unit.

I was previously using a new Linksys router successfully before Uverse.  And the Macbook connects seamlessly to other wireless networks and publich wifi locations as well.

Thanks for your help though.



         if u stilll have the linksys put it back in service maybe ??    and turn off wireless in the rg3800 ??
 
 
        just a thought
        randy
Message 17 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

I tried to put my Linksys back in play .... it didn't work.

I obviously don't know how to do that.

Please tell me step by step how to do it and I'll try that next.

Thank you.
Message 18 of 40
Highlighted
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

 
here is one thread there are others..
more than one way to do this btw
easiest maybe is to run a patch cat5 cord from one of the rg3800 ports to the linksys ports (cat5 )1-4 
that will make the linksys act like a wireless switch  btw
turn off dhcp and nat on the link
u may have to play with the ip of the link as well 
 
 
 
randy
 
Message 19 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

Thank you VERY VERY much for your trouble and information.

I have to go to dinner tonight with my family and won't have time to try this but I will.

Again, thank you sincerely I really appreciate your bother and trouble to help direct me.

Have a nice evening.

Best regards

Tom
Message 20 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection



tom53151 wrote:
I really like the performance of the television portion of the Uverse service. The internet service however is lacking in that I keep getting a dropped signal. That's not acceptable. I didn't like TimeWarner's television service, but I must say that their internet signal was always working.

Uverse technical support is useless.

I most sincerely regret having made the change from TimeWarner to Uverse.

My family was right - I should have stayed with TW.

I've always heard that DSL based systems are like herding cats to get it to work right. I should have listened. I so regret it. My system worked fine before.


I understand that you are having issues and for that I'm sorry. But please don't get on here assuming that DSL is evil blah blah blah....If you want to talk about unreliability, then lets talk about TW cable service using a speed boost to get you to think you are downloading faster than you are, and the fact that their bandwidth drops as more users log on to the same loop of bandwidth. DSL is a TON more reliable than cable internet in quality and speed.
 
Again, I know you are having issues, but don't attribute the issue to Uverse unreliability or rumors that cable spreads about DSL until you have found the source of the issue and know what is causing it.
Message 21 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

It's my opinion based upon repeated calls to tech services, and performance by comparison to RR that I make the comment that I regret moving from TW to Uverse. Hogrunr, it's MY opinion and I'm entitled to it. Your contribution to this conversation is meaningless. There was no ranting or blah blah blah.

Again, I'm entitled to my opinion and this entire thread is about dropping a internet connection on a Macbook. It's a specific issue.

Try not to taunt people. This is a civil conversation thread.
Message 22 of 40
bky
Contributor

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

I have the exact same problem with the 2wire modem/router and my macbook. The issue is with a bug in the 2wire router and at the moment there's only a temporary fix which is changing your wireless to only use 802.11b (instead of b/g). While searching for resolutions for this, I came across a large WoW sticky thread that leads to this solution until 2wire comes out with a fix. Even though I don't play the game, the issues they are having are the same.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3120974294

att: get 2wire to fix this problem, pronto!
Message 23 of 40
Professor

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

I don't herd cats (though I have two) and I've been a DSL customer for over 10 years.  I've not had a lick of trouble with my DSL connection, copper or Uverse.
 
Whomever told you that there's some inherent issue with DSL over cable was incorrect.
Message 24 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection



tom53151 wrote:
It's my opinion based upon repeated calls to tech services, and performance by comparison to RR that I make the comment that I regret moving from TW to Uverse. Hogrunr, it's MY opinion and I'm entitled to it. Your contribution to this conversation is meaningless. There was no ranting or blah blah blah.

Again, I'm entitled to my opinion and this entire thread is about dropping a internet connection on a Macbook. It's a specific issue.

Try not to taunt people. This is a civil conversation thread.

Civil? Really? could have fooled me...obviously I'm not entitled to an opinion. You have no comparison to make. Yes you (you, as an individual, not DSL customers as a whole) are having an issue, but your statement about DSL as a whole is simply baseless info that you picked from a RR larkey somewhere along the way.
 
You are right, it is a SPECIFIC issue, and not an issue with DSL as a technology, or even Uverse as a whole. I'll try and keep the "taunting" to a minimum...well actually....I don't even know where it happened the first time.
 
Edit: And as you can see by the helpful person above, this is an issue with 2wire, not ATT, not Uverse, not even *gasp* DSL.


Message Edited by hogrunr on 02-25-2008 08:28 AM
Message 25 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

My issue is resolved in large part thanks to Randy1, who suggested early on to check against interference on the channel selection and to take the router off auto select.

I have a small application on my computer that shows wifi signals in my neighborhood - I didn't think this was a big deal because I am not in a crowded neighborhood of wifi signals.

I did some research ... and a couple of online authorities suggested that channels 1, 6 and 11 are the best channels to use because there is less overlap.

I thought what the heck and I moved the router off auto select and assigned a channel, in my case channel 1 and wham. Three full days without a single issue.

So Randy1, you were right .... I didn't think mine was an issue of interference or channel conflict .... but it was key to getting my mess straightened out. So thank you sincerely.

Hope this helps others who have a Mac and are experiencing the same problem.

Take care
Message 26 of 40
Tutor

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

Hi, I read this thread because I am interested in switching from Time Warner to Uverse and you really scared me!  I have a Mac Mini w/ plans to get a Macbook someday (in short-I'm a mac person).  Most of the thread  discussion is WAAAAY over my head, but in the last post, it looks like your issue is resolved.  Is it still?  I am really afraid to make the switch if there are going to be technical issues because of my Mac preference.  What do you think?  The reason I want to make the switch is so I can get the sports package, which will enable me to see my Los Angeles Dodger baseball w/o having to subscribe to that darned Extra Innings thing on TWC, which is dreadful.  When my internet connection goes out now, for whatever reason, I can't live w/o my internet, and have to do whatever I can to get it back up, short of all of the super-technical stuff that was discussed in this thread.  So what do you think, Uverse good?  Uverse bad?  Thanks for any input!
Message 27 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

First off the solution to the above problem is one that many of us have used when using the wireless from Uverse. It's simply interference from surrounding houses and such because so many people use wireless now.
 
Second, what are you planning on watching your Dodgers on? Just to let you know, if you think you will be able to watch them on one of the regional sports channels such as FSN, and you don't live in the local viewing area for the Dodgers, you still won't be able to see them. Even if you pay for the sports package. The sports package does not override the blackouts required by the regional sports channels.
Message 28 of 40
Expert

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

My son uses a MBP laptop and hasn't had any wireless problems. I finally decided on an Airport to use for my wireless on my Dell laptop and it's working perfectly. I don't see that you'll have any problems with using Macs. And those of us who have had major wireless problems with the RG, I think we're in the minority. :smileywink:

And if you ever do lose wireless, you can plug into one of your UV STBs (if connected to the TV via coax) with Ethernet and connect that way, or probably directly from your Mini?



Abner463 wrote:
Hi, I read this thread because I am interested in switching from Time Warner to Uverse and you really scared me!  I have a Mac Mini w/ plans to get a Macbook someday (in short-I'm a mac person).  Most of the thread  discussion is WAAAAY over my head, but in the last post, it looks like your issue is resolved.  Is it still?  I am really afraid to make the switch if there are going to be technical issues because of my Mac preference.  What do you think?  The reason I want to make the switch is so I can get the sports package, which will enable me to see my Los Angeles Dodger baseball w/o having to subscribe to that darned Extra Innings thing on TWC, which is dreadful.  When my internet connection goes out now, for whatever reason, I can't live w/o my internet, and have to do whatever I can to get it back up, short of all of the super-technical stuff that was discussed in this thread.  So what do you think, Uverse good?  Uverse bad?  Thanks for any input!



Tags (1)
Message 29 of 40
Tutor

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

"Second, what are you planning on watching your Dodgers on? Just to let you know, if you think you will be able to watch them on one of the regional sports channels such as FSN, and you don't live in the local viewing area for the Dodgers, you still won't be able to see them. Even if you pay for the sports package. The sports package does not override the blackouts required by the regional sports channels."

Wait a minute!!!  Why would non-regional games be blacked out?  What the heck is on these channels if things will be blacked out?  I am in San Antonio and want to see FSN and FSN Prime Ticket for the Dodger games.  I HATE that Extra Innings subscription because TWC had no control over it when there was a problem, like the game before it going longer than expected, and my game going on without me.  So if you can elaborate on this, I would appreciate it.  I'm not making the switch if I don't gain these games. :smileysurprised:
Message 30 of 40
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support