Helpful Links

MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

Highlighted
Tutor

MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

I am having problems maintaining a constant wireless U-verse internet connection using both my MacBook and iMac computers. However, my PC notebook maintains a steady wireless internet connection. I have the Max internet connection from U-verse.

The Airport icon in the top right hand side of the screen disappears for 30-60 seconds before restoring the U-verse connection. This problems occurs on both the MacBook and iMac. It occurs every 30 minutes or so.

Has anybody else experienced this problem using a Mac? Is it related to the WPA password not being held by the Mac constantly?

I currently resolve the problem either by waiting 30-60 seconds or I click the Airport icon in the top right hand side of the screen, choose the U-verse wireless connection from the drop-down list (the U-verse wireless service appears each time in the list) and then the internet connection is restored.

Very strange given that the PC notebook does not encounter any problems. I even installed a small wireless signal strength application on the PC to check that the wireless is not dropping out. I have not noticed it drop out yet.

Thanks,
Ben
Tags (1)
3,972 Views
Message 1 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

maybe try a diff wireless channel  move to a less crowded channel ??
 
what do u have set on now btw  auto or 6 ??
 
 
just a thought
randy
 
http://gateway.2wire.net/mdc    u will need the passcode to  look about  btw 


Message Edited by randyl on 02-18-2008 01:09 PM
Message 2 of 40
Tutor

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

It's set on "Auto" at the moment.
Message 3 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

well it can move around on auto   u need to pick less used channel and try setting it to that  imho
does your wireless manager show the less used channel  if not ?
 
if not u may need a proggie to show u what the  nearest  neighbors are on ?
 
aka netstumbler
 
 
randy


Message Edited by randyl on 02-18-2008 01:21 PM
Message 4 of 40
Tutor

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

Tried channel 6 and the same problem occurred. I'll try some of the other channels.
Message 5 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

I am having the EXACT same problem. I also have multiple computers and the PC's are not behaving the same way. When I read your posting, I thought that I could have written your post myself - I have the exact same problem.
Message 6 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection



treaders wrote:
I am having problems maintaining a constant wireless U-verse internet connection using both my MacBook and iMac computers. However, my PC notebook maintains a steady wireless internet connection. I have the Max internet connection from U-verse.

The Airport icon in the top right hand side of the screen disappears for 30-60 seconds before restoring the U-verse connection. This problems occurs on both the MacBook and iMac. It occurs every 30 minutes or so.

Has anybody else experienced this problem using a Mac? Is it related to the WPA password not being held by the Mac constantly?

I currently resolve the problem either by waiting 30-60 seconds or I click the Airport icon in the top right hand side of the screen, choose the U-verse wireless connection from the drop-down list (the U-verse wireless service appears each time in the list) and then the internet connection is restored.

Very strange given that the PC notebook does not encounter any problems. I even installed a small wireless signal strength application on the PC to check that the wireless is not dropping out. I have not noticed it drop out yet.

Thanks,
Ben

http://www.uverseusers.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,2/topic,6062.0/    
Message 7 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately for me this did not solve the issue. The issue remains.
Message 8 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection



tom53151 wrote:
Thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately for me this did not solve the issue. The issue remains.

           router behind router as some have done ??
           did u have wireless before  aka have a older wireless router ???
            
         
 
          some thoughts
          randy
Message 9 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

No, I did not and do not have a router behind a router - I'm using the provider Uverse 2Wire unit.

I was previously using a new Linksys router successfully before Uverse.  And the Macbook connects seamlessly to other wireless networks and publich wifi locations as well.

Thanks for your help though.
Message 10 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

i meant put  your router behind the rg3800 and turn off the wireless in the rg3800 and use your router u had ..
u can use the rg3800 for dhcp  and make your router a switch  cat5 from the rg3800 into one of  your ethernet ports and turn off nat and dhcp on the link/
there are some older threads out there on this subject 
 
some thoughts
randy


 

Message Edited by randyl on 02-19-2008 10:42 PM
Message 11 of 40
Expert

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

Are your Macs Airport connections set to 'n' by default?  The UV RG doesn't support 'n' (it's 2.4GHz, not 5). :smileysad:
 
If so, change the setting for 'n' (b/g compatible) instead of just 'n'?
 
Definitely turn off Auto and work to find a channel that works.
Tags (1)
Message 12 of 40
Teacher

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

We have two laptops (MacBook & iBook G4) that we use on our Wireless here in the house. I've tried the channel changing thing and I just changed the IPv6 to disabled. So I shall see if that helps. For me, this has not always been a problem. When we first got U-Verse, we had no problems what-so-ever. But after I've had it up and running for a couple months, things are weird. The wireless signal will just disappear. Then, I will see it listed in my networks and I will click on it and can get a couple pages, then I get kicked out again. This will happen a few times then things will go back to normal.

I thought it might have been that the RG just needed a reboot/rest. So, I had unplugged it and left it as such for about ten minutes. Then, I got it back up and running and it was OK for about a couple hours then it started the thing again. I'm not sure what's going on. I've never had problems with prior Wireless connections in the past. I've used my laptop on a Linksys WRT54G with no problems and a Buffalo AirStation with no problems also. I just take it with a grain of salt for right now.

Perhaps it really is just interference. There are like 15 different 2WIRExxx connections listed as networks I can get on, not to mention the typical "linksys" choice. Maybe the RG shouldn't be set on such a high power as a default?

I'm out of ideas, I'll just keep tweaking and see if I ever figure it out.
Message 13 of 40
Expert

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection

Maybe MAC filtering would help?  I have only my allowed devices for the RG.  I use NetStumbler to find MAC addresses for other *known* neighbors' connections, and those I put in the Block MAC addresses.
 
Is there a Mac setting that lets you tone down the roaming for wireless, as in make it less agressive (Win. can do that).  And you can change the Power Setting on the RG from 10 and see if lowering it will make a difference.
 
Call them to make a service call; I had a total wireless wipeout that I couldn't recover from; Tier II couldn't get it going remotely (and I tried all the tricks).  A tech came to the house and fiddled with it just from his laptop and got it going.
Message 14 of 40
Master

Re: MacBook/iMac & U-verse internet connection



ryanxottele wrote:
We have two laptops (MacBook & iBook G4) that we use on our Wireless here in the house. I've tried the channel changing thing and I just changed the IPv6 to disabled. So I shall see if that helps. For me, this has not always been a problem. When we first got U-Verse, we had no problems what-so-ever. But after I've had it up and running for a couple months, things are weird. The wireless signal will just disappear. Then, I will see it listed in my networks and I will click on it and can get a couple pages, then I get kicked out again. This will happen a few times then things will go back to normal.

I thought it might have been that the RG just needed a reboot/rest. So, I had unplugged it and left it as such for about ten minutes. Then, I got it back up and running and it was OK for about a couple hours then it started the thing again. I'm not sure what's going on. I've never had problems with prior Wireless connections in the past. I've used my laptop on a Linksys WRT54G with no problems and a Buffalo AirStation with no problems also. I just take it with a grain of salt for right now.

Perhaps it really is just interference. There are like 15 different 2WIRExxx connections listed as networks I can get on, not to mention the typical "linksys" choice. Maybe the RG shouldn't be set on such a high power as a default?

I'm out of ideas, I'll just keep tweaking and see if I ever figure it out.

           dial it back to 8 or so and see  ??      400w is a lot out of the rg3800
           since it ran fine for a long time sure sounds like a neighbor ??
 
           just a thought
           randy
Message 15 of 40
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support