U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 22, 2009
1:14:59 PM
Mac and U-verse (how it works for me)

Hi all,

There's been a lot of back-and-forth about Mac OS, u-verse, and the RG... this has been my experience so far:

I started out with a DSL connection, an ASA5505 firewall an Apple airport extreme, two macbooks, and a mac pro.  Everything worked perfectly, but being standard DSL I was only getting about 2Mbits/s.  I got a notice that U-verse was available in my neighborhood and decided to switch.

First problem... ATT won't process your order with DSL on the line.  I had to cancel DSL before I could place the order.  Ok, I'm going to be without internet for a week or so.

Second problem... ATT's install appointments are a MONTH out.  Fine, whatever.

While I was waiting I set up Cat 5e to all my drop points.

The installer came out and everything installed smoothly.  The configuration after he left was pretty much the default config, although I still had the Airport on the network (I took the ASA out of the mix to not confuse any issues with the install with my local setup.  TV works great, phone works great, internet is testing out at ~16 -17 Mbits/s down and ~2 up from a machine that is hardwired to the network.  Fantastic.   Installer goes home.

I switch over to one of the laptops and connect it to the wireless on the Airport and it pretty much just doesn't work.  Pages load halfway, the wireless disconnects, dns look ups fail and latency and packet loss are between the laptop and the gateway are through the roof.  figuring the problem might be interference with the RG's wireless I go in and turn that off.  Well, nothing really changes.  Ok.  I turn off the wireless on the Airport and start using the wireless on the RG.  The latency problem is better, but I'm still getting pages half loading, long pauses when loading web pages, and other general weirdness.  Moving the the mac pro, that is wired directly into the RG I get the same behaviour.  Pages load fast, but stop in the middle of loading and some lookups fail.  I tried what several users have suggested and change the DNS servers to ATT's servers instead of the RG, which helps, but only a little.  Even my iphone was having this problem.

At this point, I decided to go back to what I had before (sort of)  I put the ASA behind the RG in DMZ plus mode, turned off the wireless on the RG, turned on the wireless on my airport extreme, and put the airport and all the computers behind the ASA and left the tv boxes out in front of the ASA.  Two days now,  and ALL of the above problems are completely gone.  The only thing that is being weird is traceroute doesn't work right.

So, it is apparent to me that there is a bad interaction between the 2wire RG and all things apple.  I've seen quite a few people who say that they don't have problems with it, but I've also seen lots of people who have.  Putting a cisco router/firewall between the RG and the rest of my network has completely solved the problem.  Clearly there is something not right there.  I'm not even going to venture a guess as to whose fault it is, but there is definately an issue.  Perhaps my set up will help someone else solve these problems as well.

62 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(62)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2009 1:24:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

redrover wrote:

I suppose I am...not sure. Im just using the 2wire gateway modem now without airport. 

I was saying before that before I had uverse I had ATT dsl with the airport and it was better as far as browser hanging. 

Do you get the same results with the wi-fi turned off using ethernet plugged straight into the Mac.

redrover wrote:

I suppose I am...not sure. Im just using the 2wire gateway modem now without airport. 

I was saying before that before I had uverse I had ATT dsl with the airport and it was better as far as browser hanging. 

Do you get the same results with the wi-fi turned off using ethernet plugged straight into the Mac.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Mac and U-verse (how it works for me)

31 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2009 2:04:32 PM
(0)
Teacher
I have 2 AP modules extending the range of the RG and they work great. I did a manual set up. (I didn't trust the walk thru)
I have 2 AP modules extending the range of the RG and they work great. I did a manual set up. (I didn't trust the walk thru)

32 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2009 6:58:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

It works fine now...

Added note. After adding all the DNS info and stuff and struggling to figure out what the issue was...I accidentally unplugged my 2wire.

Safari and Firefox work great now.I have no issues to report. 

My suggestion for the mac users:

Manually add DNS server info.

Reboot 2wire modem/router. 

It works fine now...

Added note. After adding all the DNS info and stuff and struggling to figure out what the issue was...I accidentally unplugged my 2wire.

Safari and Firefox work great now.I have no issues to report. 

My suggestion for the mac users:

Manually add DNS server info.

Reboot 2wire modem/router. 

33 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 7:52:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

Rerover,

I am scheduled to have Uverse installed next Tues.  I have a Imac and 2 macbooks now using the TC as my router running only on 5ghz N, I used the Airport express to extend my network. 

Can you give me detailed instructions of how you set up the RG and hooked it into the timecapsule/airport extreme?  What modifications did you have to make for everyting to work?

Thanks

Brett

Rerover,

I am scheduled to have Uverse installed next Tues.  I have a Imac and 2 macbooks now using the TC as my router running only on 5ghz N, I used the Airport express to extend my network. 

Can you give me detailed instructions of how you set up the RG and hooked it into the timecapsule/airport extreme?  What modifications did you have to make for everyting to work?

Thanks

Brett

34 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2009 10:13:41 AM
(0)
Guru

coyotes problem sounds identical to mine

it is driving me crazy, to the point that I am ready to cancel UVERSE internet

my setup worked perfectly with Charter cable and a wireless linksys router......now my connection is complete garbage

I have tried manually setting my DNS numbers to either freeDNS or the AT&T mac DNS numbers and none of that works

system info:

13" intel macbook

OSX 10.4.11

my RG is the standard 2W RG

I have wired connections to a PC and xbox360 and they work perfectly

iphone wireless seems to work fine

only the wireless to the macbook is miserable with UVERSE, but was perfect with Charter

does anyone have any idea what to do?

I tried hooking up the linksys to the RG and running it that way, but I dont think I understood the instructions to do that well enough to make it work, although I can see it as a possible solution 

my setup worked perfectly with Charter cable and a wireless linksys router......now my connection is complete garbage

I have tried manually setting my DNS numbers to either freeDNS or the AT&T mac DNS numbers and none of that works

system info:

13" intel macbook

OSX 10.4.11

only the wireless to the macbook is miserable with UVERSE, but was perfect with Charter

I tried hooking up the linksys to the RG and running it that way, but I dont think I understood the instructions to do that well enough to make it work, although I can see it as a possible solution 

35 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2009 11:10:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

latazyo wrote:

system info:

13" intel macbook

OSX 10.4.11

In your network setting under system preferences under ethernet is it set to configure automatically and under airport id does it show the same ip as the RG has listed for the device in its menu also do you have ask to join the network checked and last but not least is the security set to WPA2.

latazyo wrote:

system info:

13" intel macbook

OSX 10.4.11

In your network setting under system preferences under ethernet is it set to configure automatically and under airport id does it show the same ip as the RG has listed for the device in its menu also do you have ask to join the network checked and last but not least is the security set to WPA2.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

36 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2009 11:18:29 AM
(0)
Guru

I may have accidentally figured it out

when I went into the RG settings by typing in the IP, there were two different items in my home network that looked like they could be the RG, I guess on one of them and changed it to DMZ and disabled wireless

I unplugged the RG and the WRT45G and then plugged them back in after a few mins

I hardwired the computer to the WRT45G and set up the password, etc, then selected that network from my pulldown

seems to be working perfectly

I tested the wired connections coming from the RG and they seem to be working and IM connected to the WRT45G right now and my original RG wireless network is no longer visible (obviously since I disabled wireless on the RG) 

seems that the only problem I am having now is with the iphone

I am able to connect to the wifi network, but get no internet......yeargh 

Message Edited by latazyo on 05-08-2009 11:42 AM

I may have accidentally figured it out

when I went into the RG settings by typing in the IP, there were two different items in my home network that looked like they could be the RG, I guess on one of them and changed it to DMZ and disabled wireless

I unplugged the RG and the WRT45G and then plugged them back in after a few mins

I hardwired the computer to the WRT45G and set up the password, etc, then selected that network from my pulldown

seems to be working perfectly

I tested the wired connections coming from the RG and they seem to be working and IM connected to the WRT45G right now and my original RG wireless network is no longer visible (obviously since I disabled wireless on the RG) 

seems that the only problem I am having now is with the iphone

I am able to connect to the wifi network, but get no internet......yeargh 

Message Edited by latazyo on 05-08-2009 11:42 AM

37 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2009 3:28:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Since you made the change your Iphone should see the wi-fi then ask if you want to use that network and prompt for password and once you do

that you should be in unless there is a firewall setting to restrict it. 

Since you made the change your Iphone should see the wi-fi then ask if you want to use that network and prompt for password and once you do

that you should be in unless there is a firewall setting to restrict it. 

38 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2009 6:58:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

hey,

thank you posting this. alot of website do not load properly, facebook, etc. some images do not display. download is fast but not smooth, very choppy. was not like this with cable modem (brighthouse highspeed) i called att uverse internet technical support and the person said since i do connect to the internet, then it must be my operating system on my macintosh (leopard).  However, this is highly unlikely but she gave me the number to MAC tech support and said good luck.

i did everything you said to fix the problem; however, i used an airport express after turning off the uverse wireless router under settings. my internet still connects and works; however, download is still NOT smooth and it is very choppy.  Again, some images do not display in facebook and other webpages.

is it best to use cisco router instead of apple airport express? or can i use a berklin or linksys router?

Thanks,

Dan

Message Edited by dsmith883 on 05-21-2009 10:03 AM

hey,

thank you posting this. alot of website do not load properly, facebook, etc. some images do not display. download is fast but not smooth, very choppy. was not like this with cable modem (brighthouse highspeed) i called att uverse internet technical support and the person said since i do connect to the internet, then it must be my operating system on my macintosh (leopard).  However, this is highly unlikely but she gave me the number to MAC tech support and said good luck.

i did everything you said to fix the problem; however, i used an airport express after turning off the uverse wireless router under settings. my internet still connects and works; however, download is still NOT smooth and it is very choppy.  Again, some images do not display in facebook and other webpages.

is it best to use cisco router instead of apple airport express? or can i use a berklin or linksys router?

Thanks,

Dan

39 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2009 11:24:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dsmith883 wrote:

hey,

Thanks,

Dan

How far away are you from the Airport Express it will not have the range of an Airport Extreme or any of the new Linksys the only other issue if you have the channel selection set to automatic this will cause certain issues manual selection of 1 through 11 would be better and try a speedtest both wireless and wired so the problem can be narrowed down. Be sure to turn off interference robustness if enabled as this has been known to cause problems if you have not enabled it by default it will not be enabled.

dsmith883 wrote:

hey,

Thanks,

Dan

How far away are you from the Airport Express it will not have the range of an Airport Extreme or any of the new Linksys the only other issue if you have the channel selection set to automatic this will cause certain issues manual selection of 1 through 11 would be better and try a speedtest both wireless and wired so the problem can be narrowed down. Be sure to turn off interference robustness if enabled as this has been known to cause problems if you have not enabled it by default it will not be enabled.

40 of 63 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2009 9:11:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am still a little confused after reading through this entire post.

I will be a new uverse customer starting in July and I currently have a MacBook Pro running Leopard.

I have a Dlink DIR-655 router. I have no problems with turning off the wireless on the RG and using the D-link as my wireless router. If I do this, will I still have all of the problems everyone else is experiencing? Does EVERYONE with Macs have these issues?

This could be a deal breaker for me.

I will be a new uverse customer starting in July and I currently have a MacBook Pro running Leopard.

I have a Dlink DIR-655 router. I have no problems with turning off the wireless on the RG and using the D-link as my wireless router. If I do this, will I still have all of the problems everyone else is experiencing? Does EVERYONE with Macs have these issues?

41 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2009 3:18:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ClemTiger0408 wrote:

There are a lot of us running Mac's on this forum without problems its just we are all running different routers and wireless and wired so each case may or may not present a problem but this happens to PC's especially file sharing between two different OS's but I would not let any of this discourage you there is always a work around.

ClemTiger0408 wrote:

There are a lot of us running Mac's on this forum without problems its just we are all running different routers and wireless and wired so each case may or may not present a problem but this happens to PC's especially file sharing between two different OS's but I would not let any of this discourage you there is always a work around.

42 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 6:16:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm so glad to have found this thread. We've been having painfully slow delays and hangs when viewing complex web pages on our Macs. PCs seemed to be OK. The most reproducible test case is Google Maps on Mac Safari. Click PLUS to zoom in and often many of the tiltes of the map image would never fill in. Watching the downloaded data in IPNetMonitor would show a burst of initial data and then nothing for about 30 seconds, when additional data might come, but some tiles would never fill in.

But this general sluggish behavior with data loss would occur with most any complex web page. The odd part was that email and big file downloads worked perfectly. Very consistent 6 Mbps.

I was excited to hear it might be a DNS problem and so I added the two ATT DNS server IP addresses to the Ethernet config pane of my MBP and so far it seems to have solved this months old problem! Even an hour long call to ATT tech support hadn't helped.

Does anyone know if there's a way to have the RG include the ATT DNS servers in its DHCP so that it doesn't have to be configured into each individual Mac? 

I'm so glad to have found this thread. We've been having painfully slow delays and hangs when viewing complex web pages on our Macs. PCs seemed to be OK. The most reproducible test case is Google Maps on Mac Safari. Click PLUS to zoom in and often many of the tiltes of the map image would never fill in. Watching the downloaded data in IPNetMonitor would show a burst of initial data and then nothing for about 30 seconds, when additional data might come, but some tiles would never fill in.

But this general sluggish behavior with data loss would occur with most any complex web page. The odd part was that email and big file downloads worked perfectly. Very consistent 6 Mbps.

I was excited to hear it might be a DNS problem and so I added the two ATT DNS server IP addresses to the Ethernet config pane of my MBP and so far it seems to have solved this months old problem! Even an hour long call to ATT tech support hadn't helped.

Does anyone know if there's a way to have the RG include the ATT DNS servers in its DHCP so that it doesn't have to be configured into each individual Mac? 

43 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 12:00:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I had mine hard coded with the 68.94.156/157.1 servers for months with improvement in page loading and this week has been a coin toss if the page

loads instantly or takes several seconds so for grins I removed both of those and am back to 192. xxx.x.xxx and it appears to be working better so

my guess is they are still working on their servers and things will be acting strange until they science it all out. Ended up re-instating 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 as of a few minutes ago not sure what to make of this inconsistency.

Message Edited by oz on 07-27-2009 02:43 PM

I had mine hard coded with the 68.94.156/157.1 servers for months with improvement in page loading and this week has been a coin toss if the page

loads instantly or takes several seconds so for grins I removed both of those and am back to 192. xxx.x.xxx and it appears to be working better so

my guess is they are still working on their servers and things will be acting strange until they science it all out. Ended up re-instating 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 as of a few minutes ago not sure what to make of this inconsistency.

Message Edited by oz on 07-27-2009 02:43 PM

44 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2009 3:16:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

I don't know if this relates or not, but I'm going to put it here and if you know of a better thread, please point me in the right direction.

I've been setup with u-Verse now for a few months and when they set it up, I took the AirPort Basestations I used to use when with the old cable company and things were working just fine. I'm not sure what you guys all mean by the "RG" but the box that the coax comes into for internet that is also a wireless router itself was handling 4 Macs, an HP wireless all-in-one, AppleTV and three iPhones. But last night I tried turning off access to a couple of my sons' computers - using the MAC filtering on the wireless setup and moving their MAC addresses to the right side and enabling filtering didn't stop them from logging on. I even deleted MAC addresses and they could still connect. Then I turned off the WAP, which I used to use and it didn't affect it either. Then I turned unclicked enable on MAC filtering and put a new WAP password in and now my other son (the one of the three who's room is clean and I want to keep using the internet) can't connect - his MAC address is included in the left side and enable or not doesn't make a difference. His iPhone can connect just fine (typing in the new password) but his iMac can't.

Now something that was working just fine till I tried to disable connectivity to my two sons who need to clean up their room doesn't seem to be working for anyone except my son's iPhone and the MacBook Pro I use (and configure the router from.) Anyone have any ideas? I just want to have the u-verse router give wireless access to all my devices (and I'd REALLY like to be able to disconnect individual, not all at once) computers from the internet.

Thanks in advance! 

I don't know if this relates or not, but I'm going to put it here and if you know of a better thread, please point me in the right direction.

I've been setup with u-Verse now for a few months and when they set it up, I took the AirPort Basestations I used to use when with the old cable company and things were working just fine. I'm not sure what you guys all mean by the "RG" but the box that the coax comes into for internet that is also a wireless router itself was handling 4 Macs, an HP wireless all-in-one, AppleTV and three iPhones. But last night I tried turning off access to a couple of my sons' computers - using the MAC filtering on the wireless setup and moving their MAC addresses to the right side and enabling filtering didn't stop them from logging on. I even deleted MAC addresses and they could still connect. Then I turned off the WAP, which I used to use and it didn't affect it either. Then I turned unclicked enable on MAC filtering and put a new WAP password in and now my other son (the one of the three who's room is clean and I want to keep using the internet) can't connect - his MAC address is included in the left side and enable or not doesn't make a difference. His iPhone can connect just fine (typing in the new password) but his iMac can't.

Now something that was working just fine till I tried to disable connectivity to my two sons who need to clean up their room doesn't seem to be working for anyone except my son's iPhone and the MacBook Pro I use (and configure the router from.) Anyone have any ideas? I just want to have the u-verse router give wireless access to all my devices (and I'd REALLY like to be able to disconnect individual, not all at once) computers from the internet.

Thanks in advance! 

45 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 11:19:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have had my Airport connected to the 2wire. In the airport, I set the DNS to the AT&T DNS. That change made a huge difference in things like google maps. Those never worked right and it was quite frustrating until I found these forums.

Thanks, it really improved things! I have not seen an issue wiht htem ever since....

Now, the next item is when AT&T going to support parental controls on the 2wire???

I have had my Airport connected to the 2wire. In the airport, I set the DNS to the AT&T DNS. That change made a huge difference in things like google maps. Those never worked right and it was quite frustrating until I found these forums.

Thanks, it really improved things! I have not seen an issue wiht htem ever since....

Now, the next item is when AT&T going to support parental controls on the 2wire???

46 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 1:08:58 PM
(0)
Guru

I have an iMac that consistently has problems holding a wireless connection. It comes in full strength, but occasionally drops to nothing and then starts scanning for a network. I have yet to come up with a reason for this. Either I'm getting interference from something or maybe something is wrong with the wireless network adapter in the iMac. I'm going to have the Mac checked at the local apple store on Friday.

I have moved the computer and it doesn't seem to really make much of a difference.

Anyone know if there is a specific wireless channel that might be better to avoid interference?

I have an iMac that consistently has problems holding a wireless connection. It comes in full strength, but occasionally drops to nothing and then starts scanning for a network. I have yet to come up with a reason for this. Either I'm getting interference from something or maybe something is wrong with the wireless network adapter in the iMac. I'm going to have the Mac checked at the local apple store on Friday.

I have moved the computer and it doesn't seem to really make much of a difference.

Anyone know if there is a specific wireless channel that might be better to avoid interference?

47 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 1:11:38 PM
(0)
Master

fwiw

fwiw

48 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 1:17:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have been using this for years. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11753

http://istumbler.net/ 

Message Edited by oz on 08-18-2009 04:00 PM

I have been using this for years. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11753

http://istumbler.net/ 

Message Edited by oz on 08-18-2009 04:00 PM

49 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 2:06:45 PM
(0)
Guru

Well, my living room laptop is getting 75% and the iMac is at 62%. The iMac is closer to the RG. The iMac percentage was lower when it was on channel 5. It went up on channel 7.

I still plan on taking it in and let Apple look at it.

Well, my living room laptop is getting 75% and the iMac is at 62%. The iMac is closer to the RG. The iMac percentage was lower when it was on channel 5. It went up on channel 7.

I still plan on taking it in and let Apple look at it.

50 of 63 (307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2009 7:25:27 AM
(0)
Guru

Not to bring up a subject again, but I wanted to mention that my Mac is now getting a perfect signal from the RG with no dropouts. My problem first appeared when I switched from DSL to U-verse and my iMac would not connect consistently via wireless. I finally took the Mac in for service, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the AirPort, even though Windows machines and my Mac laptop had no problem.

The Apple tech gave me this article:

http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=498

which seems to indicate a problem with 2Wire routers and some Mac models. I think this has finally been proven to me when I hooked up my new iMac on Saturday. I've had a perfect signal with no drops since!

I know this isn't a solution for many, but I wanted to mention it in case others are still having issues regularly connecting wireless with their Macs.

Not to bring up a subject again, but I wanted to mention that my Mac is now getting a perfect signal from the RG with no dropouts. My problem first appeared when I switched from DSL to U-verse and my iMac would not connect consistently via wireless. I finally took the Mac in for service, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the AirPort, even though Windows machines and my Mac laptop had no problem.

The Apple tech gave me this article:

http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=498

which seems to indicate a problem with 2Wire routers and some Mac models. I think this has finally been proven to me when I hooked up my new iMac on Saturday. I've had a perfect signal with no drops since!

I know this isn't a solution for many, but I wanted to mention it in case others are still having issues regularly connecting wireless with their Macs.

51 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2009 3:18:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

manually adding the DNS servers has helped a ton for me, as well as the article that jwt001 posted. 

YMMV

MBP 10.6 OS 4gig ram (2) 

manually adding the DNS servers has helped a ton for me, as well as the article that jwt001 posted. 

YMMV

MBP 10.6 OS 4gig ram (2) 

52 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2010 8:38:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you! Adding the DNS servers worked instantly!

Thank you! Adding the DNS servers worked instantly!

53 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2010 3:32:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had problems with my MBPro, Late 2009 model, staying connected to the 2Wire RG wirelessly. Went through several configs that included manually entering the DNS. I would be connected full strength and then connectivity would drop. I used my iPhone and WiFiFoFum to check what channels where being used in the neighborhood. Put the RG on a unused channel with no change in symptoms.  Finally, I bought a Airport Express. Turned off the 2Wire wireless and put the APE in bridge mode. Not a dropped connection since and it is faster. 

MacBook Pro, 10.6.2 8 Gigs of RAM, 500 gig HDA, mini Server, 10.6.2, Mac G5 Dual Processor 1.8 GHz, 10.5.8,  2 Gigs RAM, pair of 230 Gig HDAs, and an XP Box.

I have had problems with my MBPro, Late 2009 model, staying connected to the 2Wire RG wirelessly. Went through several configs that included manually entering the DNS. I would be connected full strength and then connectivity would drop. I used my iPhone and WiFiFoFum to check what channels where being used in the neighborhood. Put the RG on a unused channel with no change in symptoms.  Finally, I bought a Airport Express. Turned off the 2Wire wireless and put the APE in bridge mode. Not a dropped connection since and it is faster. 

MacBook Pro, 10.6.2 8 Gigs of RAM, 500 gig HDA, mini Server, 10.6.2, Mac G5 Dual Processor 1.8 GHz, 10.5.8,  2 Gigs RAM, pair of 230 Gig HDAs, and an XP Box.

54 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2010 10:12:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There is a new release of iStumbler for SL 10.6.2 it has a lot more info.  http://istumbler.net/

What I have found over the years is its hard to beat the Airport Extreme Base Station for Mac's and it gives the ability

to add up to 4 Airport Express's for a wide range of applications i have been using mine on several different providers without troubles so far over the years.

There is a new release of iStumbler for SL 10.6.2 it has a lot more info.  http://istumbler.net/

What I have found over the years is its hard to beat the Airport Extreme Base Station for Mac's and it gives the ability

to add up to 4 Airport Express's for a wide range of applications i have been using mine on several different providers without troubles so far over the years.

55 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2010 7:49:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

Truth in advertising.    AT&T has to know that these problems exist with MACs.   Their sales force needs to forewarn customers about the issue.  Given that i can't charge AT&T for my wasted time when I lose connectivity.  I'm considering changing to another vendor after only 7.5 days of this poor service.

Truth in advertising.    AT&T has to know that these problems exist with MACs.   Their sales force needs to forewarn customers about the issue.  Given that i can't charge AT&T for my wasted time when I lose connectivity.  I'm considering changing to another vendor after only 7.5 days of this poor service.

56 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2010 12:24:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

Don't you think that if there was some general problem with Macs and U-verse, that affected a significant number of people, the Internets would be ablaze with complaints?  

Don't you think that if there was some general problem with Macs and U-verse, that affected a significant number of people, the Internets would be ablaze with complaints?  

57 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2010 9:23:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

There definitely is a well documented and consistently reproducible problem with the DNS proxy in the RG. Manually configuring the Mac's DNS servers is a workaround, unless you're Mac is portable and needs to work on multiple networks. eg Home and Work

ATT has ignored this problem for a very long time, even though many, many people have reported the problem.

I even spoke with a Tier 2 support tech who recognized the problem as the same problem he was having at his own home but didn't know how to fix it.

Definite problem... if you don't see it consider yourself lucky or unobservant. :-)

There definitely is a well documented and consistently reproducible problem with the DNS proxy in the RG. Manually configuring the Mac's DNS servers is a workaround, unless you're Mac is portable and needs to work on multiple networks. eg Home and Work

ATT has ignored this problem for a very long time, even though many, many people have reported the problem.

I even spoke with a Tier 2 support tech who recognized the problem as the same problem he was having at his own home but didn't know how to fix it.

Definite problem... if you don't see it consider yourself lucky or unobservant. :-)

58 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2010 7:14:02 AM
(0)
Expert

I believe DSL reports has a thread that says that the DNS issues with Macs are fixed in the latest version of the RG firmware which is rolling out now.

I haven't confirmed this myself, as I do not have a Mac to test with.

I believe DSL reports has a thread that says that the DNS issues with Macs are fixed in the latest version of the RG firmware which is rolling out now.

I haven't confirmed this myself, as I do not have a Mac to test with.

59 of 63 (254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2010 9:07:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

Wow, this is awesome news. I'll try to find that article. I'd like to find out what the new version number is and how to get the upgrade.

Best regards,

Joe

Wow, this is awesome news. I'll try to find that article. I'd like to find out what the new version number is and how to get the upgrade.

Best regards,

Joe

60 of 63 (254 Views)